I now have one of these..... - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th September 2004, 09:44 PM   #11
Banned

Send a message via MSN to SkinnyBoy
Quote:
Originally posted by ace3000_1

Skinny, if you tap into your brothers room and draw 15amps this doesnt mean its safe to do so, he would have to have all apliances off, and depending on your cable length your lines maybe under rated. Power Cables are normally rated at their spec upto a distance of 15 - 20meters. Wheather your welder is on full pelt or not, it would be atlaest safe to power it with the required 15amps as stated by the manufacturer. How do you know it doesnt draw 15amps at half power? from a few welders that ive looked in they used a big resistor to control the power output thus drawing its rated current draw all of the time, the others wer switches to change the winding in the coils.

Trev

did I mention my brother is out over half the time? and when he's not home, all that is powered up in his room is a clock radio?
Old 9th September 2004, 11:36 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ace3000_1
Quote:
do arc welders generally have some protection for if you short out the output? I guess it would have to.
No they dont, if you had a fuse for the output circut then you wouldnt be able to weld, because a arc welder is just a power supply that we short out on purpose.

Quote:
also, welding currents/voltages... whats best? I have 45 or 70 volts, at adjustable currents... I read somewhere that most small arc welders are 40 volts. is higher voltage therefore better?
Higher voltages are used for thick plate, normally 10mm and up, that also goes with the amperage, the thinner the plate is the lower the voltage and amperage.

Trev
Old 9th September 2004, 11:37 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
did I mention my brother is out over half the time? and when he's not home, all that is powered up in his room is a clock radio?
LOL, are you sure there isnt any grow lights in the wardrobe?
Old 10th September 2004, 01:13 AM   #14
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by ace3000_1

No they dont, if you had a fuse for the output circut then you wouldnt be able to weld, because a arc welder is just a power supply that we short out on purpose.

Higher voltages are used for thick plate, normally 10mm and up, that also goes with the amperage, the thinner the plate is the lower the voltage and amperage.

Trev

I didn't say a FUSE, I said short circuit protection... I should have said current limiting.. but anyway see, my dad made an adjustable powersupply with a selectable current limiting.... .5amps, 1 amp, and 2.5amps (I think) so even if you dead short it, it still only gives that much current....
Old 10th September 2004, 03:30 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I didn't say a FUSE, I said short circuit protection... I should have said current limiting.. but anyway see, my dad made an adjustable powersupply with a selectable current limiting.... .5amps, 1 amp, and 2.5amps (I think) so even if you dead short it, it still only gives that much current....
No short circut protection because your shorting the welder out on purpose to create the arc. There should be thermal protection but thats it, the psu your dad made is basically the same as your welder, you controll your current via the dial on the front, there isnt to my knewlege any over current protection on the input for over drawing power cos normally you would use a breaker with it in the fuse box.

Trev
Old 13th September 2004, 06:23 AM   #16
Banned

I think the current is limited by the core reaching saturation... the current is adjusted by moving a bar in and out of the core of the transformer....

Hide this!Advertise here!