I'm bored, I need a project - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2004, 12:40 PM   #1
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Send a message via MSN to SkinnyBoy
Default I'm bored, I need a project

any suggestions? got nothing to do, and wanna start work on something.

dad just brought home five 150mm X 300mm positive acting (pre thingo'd) PCB's and now I wanna do something, never tried making PCB's so shoot me some ideas

I dunno.... Amplifiers are FUN, but I'm sick of them, anyone got any other ideas? audio, or non audio...

THANX!
  Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2004, 03:23 PM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator
 
SY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicagoland
Blog Entries: 1
I'd suggest a girl.

Failing that, console yourself with a diy ESL speaker. Loads of fun, lots of mess, high voltages, what could be better?
__________________
You might be screaming "No, no, no" and all they hear is "Who wants cake?" Let me tell you something: They all do. They all want cake.- Wilford Brimley
  Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2004, 04:03 PM   #3
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator
 
Cal Weldon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Near Vancouver
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SY
I'd suggest a girl. -snip- Loads of fun, lots of mess, high voltages, what could be better? [QUOTE]

Striking similarities no?

Cal
__________________
Next stop: Margaritaville
Some of Cal's stuff | Cal Weldon Consulting
  Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2004, 07:41 PM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
leadbelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Default Re: I'm bored, I need a project

Quote:
Originally posted by SkinnyBoy
any suggestions? got nothing to do, and wanna start work on something.
Quote:
Originally posted by SY
I'd suggest a girl.
Well, of course, SY's suggestion is the hands down winner.

But I have other "hobbies" (I can't really call them hobbies because I work on them so infrequently), and 2 that pop into mind as very similar, are guitar gadgets (which is a subset of this board) and model railroading. I bet a large number of members on this board have the parts to DIY an analog throttle in their parts bin, it's just a variable DC PS (it's actually better NOT to use full wave rectifying in this case).
__________________
Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. Enzo Ferrari
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2004, 12:52 AM   #5
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Send a message via MSN to SkinnyBoy
I think I'll just design a PCB for a car amp using two LM3886 chips... why do no car amps use ICs? hmmm
  Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2004, 09:02 AM   #6
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Quote:
Originally posted by SkinnyBoy
I think I'll just design a PCB for a car amp using two LM3886 chips... why do no car amps use ICs? hmmm
For car amps you would be better to use some TDA chips, made for car audio.
The LM3886 at 12~14v will have very limiter power, and you can't bridge them to drive 4 ohm speakers, only if you parallel too, and that's 4 chips per channel.
Forget it, there are some "high-power" TDA chips out there for the job.

The girl is really a good idea.
Or a fake one, made of rubber, with some holes.
Or repair your desk of all that shooting?
Or change your avatar for a darker one, you're burning my screen.
LOL
  Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2004, 12:50 PM   #7
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Send a message via MSN to SkinnyBoy
Quote:
Originally posted by carlosfm


For car amps you would be better to use some TDA chips, made for car audio.
The LM3886 at 12~14v will have very limiter power, and you can't bridge them to drive 4 ohm speakers, only if you parallel too, and that's 4 chips per channel.
Forget it, there are some "high-power" TDA chips out there for the job.

The girl is really a good idea.
Or a fake one, made of rubber, with some holes.
Or repair your desk of all that shooting?
Or change your avatar for a darker one, you're burning my screen.
LOL

I guess I should have also mentioned the switchmode powersupply... so I should end up with a stereo 80 watt/c amp...

yes... thankyou for the other suggestions...
  Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2004, 01:36 PM   #8
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Quote:
Originally posted by SkinnyBoy
I guess I should have also mentioned the switchmode powersupply... so I should end up with a stereo 80 watt/c amp...
yes... thankyou for the other suggestions...
Ah, ok, you have a PSU...
But why 80watts?
With two LM3886s you double the current, but you get the same power, around 50~60w, depending on the PSU voltage.

See? You have a project!
  Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2004, 01:39 PM   #9
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Send a message via MSN to SkinnyBoy
Quote:
Originally posted by carlosfm


Ah, ok, you have a PSU...
But why 80watts?
With two LM3886s you double the current, but you get the same power, around 50~60w, depending on the PSU voltage.

See? You have a project!

nah... +-30 volt rails, the ICs are good for about 80watts into 4 ohms... I was talking 80watts per channel..
  Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2004, 01:56 PM   #10
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Quote:
Originally posted by SkinnyBoy



nah... +-30 volt rails, the ICs are good for about 80watts into 4 ohms... I was talking 80watts per channel..
Ah, you were talking 4 ohms, yes car speakers.
I alway think in 8 ohms...
At +/-30v you will get around 80w, yes.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I got bored danielwritesbac Chip Amps 11 6th January 2009 06:48 PM
Any bored custom amp builders need a project? troystg Car Audio 3 16th January 2007 12:22 AM
Got Bored Today DoomPixie Solid State 14 14th June 2006 02:51 PM
Bored...2n3055e amp? ThSpeakerDude88 Solid State 27 25th March 2006 01:56 PM
Unemployed and Bored, what should I make for cheap? PHilgeman Parts 7 12th February 2004 04:17 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 08:46 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2