Tinnitus... anyone else got it?

Hey all...

I have tinnitus in my right ear from a few mistakes I made (turning on equipment during a mixing session without realizing a mic was on and turning on guitar amps with the volume all the way up.)

Yeah, I'm an idiot, and I'm only 18.
So basically I was wondering if there were any other people here with hearing disabilities and if they've learned to enjoy being an audiophile without becoming to self-aware of their hearing problems.

I'm just beginning to be an audiophile and I've noticed that I can hear the ringing in my ear more than ever after I listen to a really good pair of headphones.

Thanks,
rob

Maybe it dependes on what music you listen to but I sometimes
listen to music in headphones to make my tinnitus go away
at least for a while. My tinnitus is very much correlated to
how tired my brain is, though, and the right kind of music can
refresh the brain so it gets less tired and can mask the tinnitus,
or however it works.

I have a mild ringing in my ears from too much loud music... and I'm only 17!!! i'm exposed to at least a few hours of craninum crushing volumes a week, and now i've started developing a ringing, i use ear plugs a lot!!! even though people might feel uncool, they're gunna save your hearing... i'm afraid of what my hearings gunna do when i get older, because aparantly you don't get the full effects of what you did as a teen until you're older... but i'm not complaining, i know a few other people who got it bad...

For a start, i know the keyboard player out of an old 70's band called 'the models' (anyone else heard of them?)... he works in a studio in melbourne now, but he is almost completly deaf in one ear! this is because he always used to be right next to the drummer, and with only one ear facing, you can imagine what happened!!!

then there's my mum! she has something called meniere's disease... it's a thing that stuffs up your inner ear, and it does stuff, like you can't ballance and you puke and crap when you get an 'attack'... but with this disease comes permanant tinitus. it's so bad that she has to listen to pretty loud music just so she can sleep, or else it drives her crazy! (i don't mean loud like cranked... but pretty loud considering she's meant to be sleeping!)

so there's my experiences with tinitus... so yeah... earplugs aren't cool and it defeats the purpose of loud music... kinda like speeding down a freeway with the brake on... but when you're playing with your band, they are essential, especially when jamming because you do more of this than gigs, and with loud guitars and drums in a little room, it's very loud!!! but they will save your hearing, and you're hearing is the greatest gift you have... treasure it.

keep it real.

FYI, zinc supplements evidently help some people with this condition. Do an Internet search to see about this.

I don't have tinnitus myself, but nevertheless had occasion to take zinc supplements for other reasons. When I do it extends my very high frequency hearing range for a while. Why? Clueless on that. Norman

accident

I got mine from pounding metal with a hammer--be careful there. After 15 years of shielding my right ear from loud sounds, the tendency to ring has subsided a lot. It used to ring continuously, but with perseverance, there is no ringing in a quiet room, where I try to stay as often as possible. The threshold of pain has gone higher as well. It is still sensitive and vulnerable, though, and when I listen to music, I only go for selections with well-played bass content. I try to limit the midrange and above portion to about 90dB.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, caffeine, or coffee at least, make the tinnitus temporarily
worse. Unfortunately I am heavy coffee addict. :(

As for tinnitus itself, I have heard various explanations for
what causes it, but my own doctor, who herself suffers
from tinnitus so badly that she can only work half time,
told me about the most recent theory on it. The reason
is supposed to be a damaged and no longer functioning
har cell (is that the right term?) and this causes an effect
similar to when you amputate a leg, for instance, but still
can feel the leg that isn't there anymore. In the case of
tinnitus the brain learns to try masking this ever-present
false signal, but if it is tired or affected by caffeine etc.
it does a less good job at masking it. This is hardly a new
theory, but seems to be the currently accepted one.

One thing that can help against tinnitus to some extent
according to my own and other persons experience is
the Tomatis method. I have mentioned it several times
before on the forum, so search for "Tomatis" if interested.
I won't make any claim that it works, it is just my own
experience that it can give som relief, or at least make
you aware how it is related to the tiredness of the brain
and how listening to music can help temporarily. It is an
expensive method though, so it is not for those with only
moderate problems from tinnitus, and tinnitus was not
my reason for undertaking this therapy.

If there is anyone still has this thread turned on after the years absence - have a read of this.

TINNITUS IS FIXABLE, DESPITE CONVENTIONAL MEDICINE NAYSAYERS!

For anyone suffering from Tinnitus, CPS, Miniere's Vertigo, Hearing Imparement, ADHA, Autism, etc, etc then have a lokk at the work and system developed by the French Doctor Tomatis to relieve the hearing problems of the WWII sufferers.

It's known as the "Tomatis Method" system and all sorts of links on the web.

There is a whole other world now around this "Method" connected to all things connected to the 8th nerve - our hearing.

The one that I use to rid myself of the Tinnitus, CPS (Cocktail Party Syndrome - dunno if a technical expression), and apparently just a mild sort of Miniere's Vertigo (a really bad bit o' news!) is a simple extension of the basic method of listening to modified classical music, initially Mozart (hence the Mozart Effect) but now all sorts of music is used, especially for children.

The humble Walkman cassette player was used to feed the ear the Very low level of modded music (can just hear it) and over about 100hrs+, the ears begin to respond.
The system out here is known as the "Sound Therapy International" and uses cassettes (now CDs, i think) and there are also the Tomatis Centres here for those that require full professional help.

Won't go on about it - Look it up and read about it - it works
extremely well.

Reactions: 1 user
:cool:
> The humble Walkman cassette player was used to feed the ear the
> Very low level of modded music (can just hear it)
> and over about 100hrs+, the ears begin to respond.

> The system out here is known as the "Sound Therapy International"
> and uses cassettes (now CDs, i think) and there are also
> the Tomatis Centres here for those that require full professional help.

jameshillj
Very interesting.
Gives me back some hope to cure this thing.

I will search internet for some more info.
I am almost sure this method can be found also in my coutry: Sweden
(a modern open country)

Line 'linie' Lineup

Did some quick research.
There are some things we can do to ease the effects of tinnitus.

There are also some methods for treatment, that has been tried and have actual effects.

One such method developed and described in a paper is:
Tinnitus Retraining Therapy (TRT)
- En behandlingsmetod för tinnitus
- One treatmentmethod for tinnitus

This PDF Download about TRT is in swedish
and we are severtal that knows this beautiful language.
Among them me my self
http://oru.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:137119/FULLTEXT01

( From the University of Orebro )
Pagelink: http://oru.diva-portal.org/smash/record.jsf?pid=diva2:137119

Yeah, there's a centre in Stockholm called Solgardens Trainingscentre and "www.brainbalance.se" or phone Stockholm 08755 1218 according to the official website

I'll see if I can add some info here for you - It's a lot of other stuff too as "hearing problems" isn't a major focus for them, apparently - it's always been this way - not sure if it's because they all seem to focus on children mostly.

What makes the Oz one a bit different is the cassette approach - the centres use the special headphones that have the bone conduction transducer built in and other stuff - for simple problems like tinnitus and such (yeah, it put me off too!), the use of the modded music works perfectly and only costs the set of cassettes (plus your cassette player) - I've got a tape running now on my Yamaha cassette player next to me.
You need to play it about 3hours/day+, but as it's just audible on the earbuds, or phones, you can do normal daily work.

Can't get the files on here - will send to your address.

That ADD is a real pain in the b**!

The cost of the centres is not cheap, as you say - however, for that ADD, the results are excellent.

You will find that the Centre is also very helpful with advice about foods, diet, supplements and a lot of other things.
I think you'll find that the expertise of the centres with something like ADD to be well worth the effort.
Incidently, I use the Herbalife nutritional products for reduction in hayfever, asthma, etc and have found that this also helps a lot with the hearing problems.

The Conventional Medical Professionals aren't very helpful about anything in this area - strange really, as this surely constitutes a health problem.

All the best ...

I have suffered a mild HF tone in my right ear for years , I actually thought it was normal until people replied that they didnt know what I was talking about when I asked "you know that whistle you get in your ears at night ?" !!!

Definitely worse when I'm tired or have been out late. Doesn't bother me that much as I have learned to live with it but I'll check out this therapy.