Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th August 2009, 12:15 AM   #21
CBRworm is offline CBRworm  United States
diyAudio Member

My head sounds like an old CRT TV set.

Too many years of abuse - although I have always used hearing protection when shooting, etc. I think for me it was the motorcycling without ear plugs for so long that did me in. I am also cognizant of loud music and only listen really loudly for short periods of time.

Interestingly though I still hear beyond 18khz clearly.
Old 25th August 2009, 12:47 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

I have tinitus as well. It's only very slightly noticable, most of the time my brain can filter away the tinitus. It gets really bad though when listening to really loud music. I never go into discotheques without ear plugs anymore.
Old 25th August 2009, 12:53 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

I've had tinitus since I was 16 or 17, I used to work in a factory and go to a lot of gigs (still do the second one).

Most of the time I can deal with it, although 15 years without silence is annoying. Two things make it a lot worse though; antibiotics and alcohol. Either of them and I get a trippling of apparent level, which dissapears when the effects of the drug wear off. Of course if I'm drinking, I don't mind as much.
Old 25th August 2009, 01:32 AM   #24
doorman is offline doorman  Canada
diyAudio Member

Yes, another tinitus sufferer here. The high frequency ringing is always there, but caffeine seems to exacerbate it. Mostly the result of 12-71 GM diesels and woodworking/shop tools. OTOH, I can save the money I would have spent on tweeters!
Don
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin...809/index.html
Old 25th August 2009, 06:09 AM   #25
sangram is offline sangram  India
diyAudio Member

I have a pretty strong tone in my right ear, though it is masked by daytime noise. At night it gets worse, but I guess my brain blocks it so I can go to sleep.

It gets pretty bad when the cold seasons hit though. I got it after an operation to deblock the right ear, the consequence of taking a flight with a head cold. That was messy - I couldn't walk straight till the operation.
Old 25th August 2009, 08:14 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

thevoice, just as you mentioned alcohol, I noticed that my tinitus isn't as bad after hanging around in discotheques when I drink alcohol. It weird.
Old 31st August 2009, 06:33 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

One of the good things about writing on a site like this is knowing that you're not alone and that there are some alternative methods that can help - my particular salvation has been the Tomatis system, but some of the other methods seem to work equally well for different people - there doesn't seem to be any rhymn or reason to it.

This isn't the place for this but perhaps I can sneak in a plea for assistance here - somehow recently, the automatic notification of new posts on subscribed threads has ceased to work for me - can anyone tell me what to do to reconnect this very useful facility?
Old 31st August 2009, 06:36 AM   #28
sangram is offline sangram  India
diyAudio Member

^^Post here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...73#post1912073
Old 31st August 2009, 08:50 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
You mean, read this :
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...22#post1911922
Old 17th November 2009, 02:49 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRworm View Post
My head sounds like an old CRT TV set.

Too many years of abuse - although I have always used hearing protection when shooting, etc. I think for me it was the motorcycling without ear plugs for so long that did me in. I am also cognizant of loud music and only listen really loudly for short periods of time.

Interestingly though I still hear beyond 18khz clearly.
I reckon motorcycling is responsible for mine too !!

Hide this!Advertise here!