Tinnitus... anyone else got it?

Yes, I have it quite severely,
gets worse when i'm dehydrated, stressed or overthinking.
you learn to tune it out to some extent but it makes social stuff in crowds quite hard
it's really going some as I type, no idea what's caused it to flare up, annoying but manageable for now.

saying that though, as for enjoying audio, I seem to be hyper sensitive now to oddities in audio
be that TV, music, radio, or something else....so really do enjoy decent quality source material
and, by 'oddities' it could be anything really, phase, compression, fans, high frequency transformer whining, AM frequency shift.....I can pick up when something's not 'right' fairly quickly when most just ask WTF i'm on!
Interesting, Planet 10 attempted to assert that my hearing acuity was compromised due to my tinnitus

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Long ago I had a Triumph Spitfire and after driving it at full speed for more than half an hour the result was acute tinnitus that after 1...2 days disappeared. With loud music the same, IOW the audio equivalent of a bad after-taste. Now living very rurally, it was easy to observe that even the constant yet "soft" background noise of a fan / AC can be enough to trigger tinnitus. Healing / improving one's condition includes the issue of capillary blood vessels. I use serrapeptase and nattokinase for that (it also lowered blood pressure to ~110 - 70 irrespective salt consumption). What I learned is to avoid long exposure to loud sounds and to turn everything run through a dynamic compressor at a very low volume. Some clinical studies (click link on the page) on the issue might be useful:Omega-3's, Hearing Loss & Tinnitus | Arches Tinnitus Formula

Joined 2018
Paid Member
FYI, zinc supplements evidently help some people with this condition. Do an Internet search to see about this.

I don't have tinnitus myself, but nevertheless had occasion to take zinc supplements for other reasons. When I do it extends my very high frequency hearing range for a while. Why? Clueless on that. Norman

You need the right kind of zink, zinkmethionine so it absorb good.

I have ringing because I had a big disco with 6 masterblaster boxes.

regards

I've had it as long as I can remember. A slightly different tone in each ear. It's a high pitch whine. I can change the tone by stretching my neck or moving my jaw. If I move my jaw forwards, the whine gets much louder. I'm also super sensitive to some sounds. I was doing some house renovation and I noticed a super annoying whine coming from somewhere. It was really difficult to place the sound and no-one else could hear it. I walked around a bit and as I got closer to a cordless drill battery charger in the next room the whining got louder. I unplugged the charger and the whining was gone. I also hate very bright treble tones in music.

There's a trick you can try to hear what it's like to not have it. Put your palms on your ears and use your middle fingers to tap the base of your skull for about 30 seconds or so. Then just remove you hands off your ears. My tinnitus doesn't disappear completely using this trick but almost. It lasts only for about 5 seconds but it feels weird.

Yes, I have it quite severely,
gets worse when i'm dehydrated, stressed or overthinking.
you learn to tune it out to some extent but it makes social stuff in crowds quite hard
it's really going some as I type, no idea what's caused it to flare up, annoying but manageable for now.

saying that though, as for enjoying audio, I seem to be hyper sensitive now to oddities in audio
be that TV, music, radio, or something else....so really do enjoy decent quality source material
and, by 'oddities' it could be anything really, phase, compression, fans, high frequency transformer whining, AM frequency shift.....I can pick up when something's not 'right' fairly quickly when most just ask WTF i'm on!

Same for me. I've got tinnitus under certain circumstances, and unfortunately, my job is also bad for my hearing, so I've got the double whammy of tinnitus and long-term damage.

Cheers,

Greg

My Tinnitus varies in intensity, but with experimentation I have found that when I am stressed it is at its "loudest." The other two things that determine how noticable it is, is the level (or lack) of hydration I am at - I need to have at least 3 litres of water in a day. The other one is the level of sugar in my body - too much and the cicadas seem to be sitting on the furniture/cupboards right next to me. My tinnitus seems to have mostly affected my hearing when too many people are talking at one time. I can't "hear" the person I am talking to, as the other chatter masks their voices.

I definitely seem to have lost some of the upper registers of my hearing.

The actual cause of the tinnitus seems to be stress related, and from what I can recall started not long after I suffered from a stress angina, and was booked off work for two weeks.

I used thes websites to do a few basic tests, but an audiometric test found my hearing (loss) to be pretty normal for my age. My tinnitus is around 5 420 Hz.

Go to these websites for some basic tests and frequency determination:

Take an Online Hearing Test - Colorado Hearing & Tinnitus
Determine your tinnitus frequency with this matching - Tinnitracks
AudioNotch - Tinnitus Treatment Sound Therapy - Tuner and Tone Generator

Last edited:
I been designing various tube topologies ie grounded grid etc.
Interesting I found that 'murdering the third' removes the cringe encountered when music his tinnitus frequencies.
At least there is a very noticeable improvement.
So the only harmonics present are 2nd,4th .

I'm doing it with a tube line amp but guess a dsp could also.

I have tinnitus but it actually seems to have gotten a bit better.
Some of that may be because I'm actively trying to protect my hearing.

I try to wear ear protection whenever I will be in noisy environments.
If I don't have earplugs with me I'll wear my earbuds since they are
better than nothing.