diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   The Lounge (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/lounge/)
-   -   How to make the competent people stay on this forum?? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/lounge/35628-how-make-competent-people-stay-forum.html)

Magura 8th June 2004 02:01 AM

How to make the competent people stay on this forum??

As we have seen lately, a number of very competent members have chosen to retire or just slowly lost interest in this forum.

To avoid this (and the usual piefight when a topic like this is brought up), I would like to point out some of the reasons why people quit on us and from that hopefully create a PEACEFULL thread where we can try to sort out a solution or at least put a little spotlight on the actual problem.

When Fred, Halojoy and Jung left we focused on the particular event that as we say in danish "was the drop that made the glass "overfull"". Little attention have been pointed in direction of the incidents that were "everyday incidents".

One of the everyday incidents that allready have had a little attention is the commercial ripoff issue. I guess we can all agree that such simply must stop !

What I guess many of us dosnt notice is that it is no fun, nor interesting when an experienced EE is flamed by people with little or limited knowledge about electronics for simply trying to help people out. Ignorance and lack of good manners (generally a bad combo) seems to actually be the biggest problem in this matter.

At some point anybody with something to offer will have had it with that attitude.....and to quote TILL...(with a little language correction) there will be just people with little to offer left.

Magura:)

mandat 8th June 2004 06:40 AM

Such persons should have a teacher soul or have a bussiness, instead taking a part at forum meetings is time wasteing. Some of them stay for a while but other become a permanent visitors at this forum. The same with ordinary visitors/members.

Sch3mat1c 8th June 2004 07:22 AM

Re: How to make the competent people stay on this forum??

Quote:

Originally posted by Magura
As we have seen lately, a number of very competent members have chosen to retire or just slowly lost interest in this forum.

Meh. I'll stick around as long as Frank is here to pick on :D :D :D

fdegrove 8th June 2004 01:39 PM

ELECTRON CATCHERS...

Hi,

Quote:

Meh. I'll stick around as long as Frank is here to pick on
You're picking on me?
Funny I never really noticed...wait, maybe I should explain pentHodes to you...:D

So, have you come up with a retirement plan yet?

Cheers,;)

chris ma 8th June 2004 02:59 PM

feeling is mutual

Quote:

What I guess many of us dosnt notice is that it is no fun, nor interesting when an experienced EE is flamed by people with little or limited knowledge about electronics for simply trying to help people out. Ignorance and lack of good manners (generally a bad combo) seems to actually be the biggest problem in this matter.

It goes both ways. Actually it seems more so that the EE themselves at each other's thoat than EEs with lesser knowledgable members. Would one has to be lay on the ground get stumped on, abused, humiliated for any kind of help received here in the forum?

Quote:

At some point anybody with something to offer will have had it with that attitude.....and to quote TILL...(with a little language correction) there will be just people with little to offer left.

Yes may be or may be diyforum became an elite EE fight club. Non EE members are not allowed to post and can only watch the action

IMO the only solution is manner but difficult with different personalities, so the other choice will be more heavy handed moderating and censors, stop any thread on its track with the slights hint of personal attack, abusive languages etc etc

Regards,
Chris

But the sega ain't the same without hero, bloodshed, glory, departure, Reunion...

Christer 8th June 2004 03:24 PM

While it is a loss to the forum when the experienced people leave,
I still think we have a surprising amoung of experienced
professionals still around, considering that this is primarily
a forum for amateurs. I think it is too early to spot any trend
of these people leaving, so let's hope that is not the case.

A great applaud to those people like Nelson Pass, Jonathan
Carr, John Curl, Charles Hanssen, Jocko and many many
others who are still here and still have patience with us
amateurs.

tiroth 8th June 2004 03:26 PM

Every six months the world is ending because "the forum is going downhill" or "person X left." A small subset of the forum ties itself in knots trying to "fix" the problem, and in the end things pretty much continue as before, and DIY continues to be a great place with a lot of valuable knowledge.

Folks, I don't think anything is broken. If anything, people should relax, and worry a little less. All of the name calling over methodologies and commercial/DIY and moderation is not DIY or audio. As long as we aren't actively stepping on each other's toes I think we are all big enough people to ignore the minor slights and differences of opinion that are sure to surface.

To paraphrase Roosevelt, I think the only thing we have to worry about it people worrying about the state of DIY! ;)

Next project. :smash:

jam 8th June 2004 03:31 PM

The problem here lies in the moderation team...........or lack of. If this was a democracy it would be time for a vote.

The forum is a shell of it's former self with experienced members leaving and certain individuals allowed to do as they please. I won't be surprised to see more people leave soon.

........meanwhile the moderation team sits back and pretends that everything is ok. They like to give us the impression they are like janitors but infact they are the root of the problem in more ways than one.

Regards,
Jam

chris ma 8th June 2004 03:38 PM

Oh please don't vote me I do not have the time to read all postings:D

Chris:clown:

Edit: Eddie Murphy --" Pick me! Pick me!" jumping up and down..I need your help Jam to put that ***/donkey cartoon here.

tiroth 8th June 2004 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jam
........meanwhile the moderation team sits back and pretends that everything is ok. They like to give us the impression they are like janitors but infact they are the root of the problem in more ways than one.
Valuable members have left due to their perception that there was not enough moderation. Valuable members have left *because* of moderation. You will never make everyone happy so my preference is to err on the side of less moderation and trust people to interact like adults. If they really aren't inclined to, moderation isn't going to force them to do so anyway.