How to make the competent people stay on this forum?? - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 9th June 2004, 07:02 AM   #51
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by till
If you can´t beat them -- buy them?

I don´t want to be moderator, i want there to be some kind of influence form memebers to moderators. Some control. At the moment they can do wahtever they want - move threads they don´t like, don´t give reasons for it, sinbin without warnings before for reasons not acceptable, sell storys noone can belive as truth. They can give advice to members everyone must see as insult like PA told me to stop email exchange with halo. Nothing happens. Bad politicians you can vote out...

This is the wrong strukture to be a moderator in. I would not take any office und this kind of "constitution" .
But if you were a moderator and disagreed with or even disliked
what is happening within the team, you could be the one
telling the members what is now not being told.

Old 9th June 2004, 07:10 AM   #52
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fdegrove

Is anyone stopping him from doing just that? I don't think so.
But yes, you're right, it's a little late to do it with dignity...as if he cares anyway.
Doesn't that tell it all?
I didn't mean anyone is stopping him. I rather meant that
maybe the idea hasn't even crossed his mind, which is why
I suggested he at least thinks about it and makes a decision
whether to continue or step down.

Quote:

Still, you can't help but wonder why they put up with all the criticism thanks to someone else...
I know I wouldn't let it go unnoticed....Yet, they're not complaining, you don't see any peer pressure form them?

Why?
There seems to be a common thing in human nature to show
loyalty to groups one belong to, sometimes to the extreme.
We have seen several such cases in company boards in recent
years where things are getting totally out of control, yet
nobody tried to stop it from inside or tell about it. I am not
saying this is happening in the moderators team and I
sincerely hope it isn't. I just mean that if it were happening,
it wouldn't really be surprising.

Old 9th June 2004, 07:30 AM   #53
diyAudio Member

If someone learns how to do something here and has the marketing ability to sell it, how is that a problem?

Especially if they are actually helping other people out too. It isn't a zero sum game. There are plenty of people that would like to buy better sounding equipment than what the big companies would like to sell us.

If they start abusing things and using the board to promote their wares and doing nothing to share expertise with anyone, you can then just ignore them. Most of the posts I've seen are about real projects.

I would like to see more fully-fleshed kits anyway. I want to build something, but there are some economies of scale if someone is able to put together enough parts to make several kits and sell them.

It is still DIY, and perhaps they make a modest amount of money for the time they spent ordering the parts, counting them out into kits, creating instructions and so on. Even if there was a premium placed on the cost of the kit over buying the stuff yourself, the savings in time and effort would be immense, especially for people like me that have never built an amp before.

It it was a high-profit business, then Heathkit would be still operational.

Old 9th June 2004, 07:55 AM   #54
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

OK, i've let you guys do enuff mod bashing (and thanks to those who added the other side of the coin). If it was a regular member you were being disrespectful of, there would be a number of people in SinBin already.

This thread is now closed.

dave/planet10

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!