Shame!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2003
Troy is the biggest disappointment in cinema this far for 2004. How the hell does a good director like Petersen, with the biggest production budget ever of $200 million, create a merely mediocre movie out of something that had the potential to be an epic on the level of Lawrence of Arabia?

As usual, Ebert hits the bullseye in his review at the Chicago Suntimes website:
"Troy" is based on the epic poem The Iliad by Homer, according to the credits. Homer's estate should sue. The movie sidesteps the existence of the Greek gods, turns its heroes into action movie cliches and demonstrates that we're getting tired of computer-generated armies.

I heard on TV that the gods were taken out as it would not sit well with todays audiences. WTF kind of nonsense is this?! If anyone remembers the successful TV miniseries like Merlin and The Odyssey, pagan gods did not offend the masses.

But the biggest problem was, as Ebert wrote:
By treating Achilles and the other characters as if they were human, instead of the larger-than-life creations of Greek myth, director Wolfgang Petersen miscalculates. What happens in Greek myth cannot happen between psychologically plausible characters. That's the whole point of myth.
Pitt is modern, nuanced, introspective; he brings complexity to a role where it is not required.
Damn right. Then again, Petersen must have assumed that since the masses would not be familiar with the nature of Greek mythology, a movie intended to be a blockbuster needs to aim for the lowest common denominator. That's the kind of logic that begets crappy movies.

And lines like "I want a man I can grow old with" and "Last night was a mistake" are so out of place in ancient Greece that it's not even funny.

Hats off to Peter O'Toole for still refusing to retire; his performance is the only reason I don't feel I completely wasted my time seeing this movie.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Prune said:
with the biggest production budget ever of $200 million, create a merely mediocre movie out of something that had the potential to be an epic on the level of Lawrence of Arabia?

Adjusted for inflation lawrence of arabia had a much larger budget -- and it was shot in 70 mm....

i'll wait to see Troy when it comes out on DVD... the popcorn (and the sound) is better at my place.

dave

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
But how does it work as just a gladiator flick?

For that it's OK I suppose, though Gladiator makes a better gladiator flick. At least it's OK if, as another critic said, you don't mind getting to "know Brad's oiled flanks like the back of your hand".

BTW, Sweetrobot is actually my brother, and I know him well enough to say that one can safely ignore his comment in this thread (or any other for that matter).

I agree - Troy was a complete disapointment. It seemed like they gave all the film to a child to edit. Add to that some below-average writing. Something else I noticed was a lack of complete score. They seemed to use the same bits of music over and over again. Much of it seemed cheezy (e.g. Brad Pitt jumps in scene to save girl, so they thrown in "Done Done Daaa"- type music). Come to find out the original score was trashed by the execs a month before the film, and the guy they brought in (Horner I think) just had that much time to work on one. If anyone is interested, the guy who wrote the original score has the story of what transpired on his website, and clips from the "original" score. www.gabrielyared.com

But how does it work as just a gladiator flick?

I think it doesnt. The battle scenes aren't that great. The special effects - well (who really gets impressed with them these days). Plus the went waaay overboard, for example: In the movie they mention the Greeks are attacking with 50,000 men. With the special effects it looks like 1,000,000. I'm not kidding. It is just riddiculous.

I would advise you all wait for a DVD rental.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.