Do any of you music lovers brew your own?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sitting with a homebrew at the end of the day listening to your favourite tunes always goes down well with me.

One of the batches we make is a regular Coopers Lager wort/malt extract but the other is a box of liquid (15L) that all you do is add 8L of water to and yeast it. I don't know if this is available in other parts of the world, but what a difference. Truely a fine brew. The Coopers is for the light crowd.

Others out there like to enjoy 2 DIY projects at the same time?

Love to hear,

Cal

When i was drinking i didn't have any money for my music. I was always listening to the same thing. If i was watching a movie, i didn't remember it the next morning, so i bought another vcr for taping.
Now that i'm sober, everything is better, even listening to the music. there's more emotion in it.
Daniel

I'm a long-time homebrewer (since 1996), and a Certified beer judge as well. But, you may have guessed that from my user name:drink:

I brew all-grain, plus I keg my beer. On tap at the moment: Honey Blonde ale, IPA, American Brown ale, Coffee Porter, and an English Bitter.

Waiting to come on line: Belgian Pale ale, English Pale ale.

In primary fermenter: Belgian Triple

Aging in my cellar: About 30 gallons of mead (various flavors), 5 gallons of Imperial Stout, and 4 gallons of Barleywine.

Nothing better than a pint of your own homebrew at the end of a long day. Unless it's a martini at the end of a *really* long day.:drunk: I also enjoy listening to tunes when I'm brewing. Load up the changer and let 'er rip.

I do limit myself to about 2 pints a day. It's easy to overdo it when you have this much beer around.:drunk:

Cheers,

bg

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
beerguy0 said:
I brew all-grain, plus I keg my beer.
I do limit myself to about 2 pints a day. It's easy to overdo it when you have this much beer around.:drunk
Cheers,
bg

Hi bg,

I could tell I liked you right away. The box beer I was speaking of is an all grain. We also keg but we do it in the cornelius kegs and run it through a counter top chiller unit (old Coke dispensing machine). We only run two taps at once but the machine has five.

2 a day? Well I must commend you on your will power.

Cal

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Why not just show it?

Attachments

• beer machine.jpg
    beer machine.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 219
I brewed in college. The best thing about home brew is the yeast in the bottom is almost pure vitamine B. We bottled in 2 liter Coke bottles. Fills a pitcher perfectly. After 3 or 4 gallons, we would swirl the last pitcher and drink the yeast and chase it with a big glass of water and awaken the next day refreshed and ready for the world. (except for the feeling that a camel $hit in your mouth while you slept.)

I've been threatening to take it up again.

Brian Donaldson said:
I brewed in college...
...I've been threatening to take it up again.
Great idea

My only suggestion to you is to keg it. After the initial set-up, the amount or work is cut in half. The only way I will go back to bottles is if I were going to one of those U-Brew places.

Besides, you never have to decide if you are going to have that last beer or not. There is no last beer!

Cal :drink:

Cal

I thought about kegs, but I liked having a wide selection of types of beer. (although it was hard to brew more than we drank and build a stockpile of anything but the beers that we didn't like) And the 2 liter bottles meant onlt 10 bottles per 5 gallon batch. I had 2 carboys for secondarys and one primary that was always full. Brewing was a wensday afternoon party every week.

Slow

I haven't looked, but I bet you could find 20 home brew forums like this one. A basic starter kit here ran $40.00 15 years ago. There was a local shop in Houston called DeFalco's that sold malt syrup, grains, hops, yeast and everything needed to brew that I visited weekly for my supplies. If I remember, it cost about $15.00 to make 5 gallons of beer. Quite cost effective for the young aspiring alcholoic.

Brian Donaldson said:
Did a google search. Looks like 25-30 dollars will make 5 gallons. There are a few forums too.

It costs me $40 Canadian to make 10 gallons. This is really inexpensive considering that a six pack at the cold beer & wine store costs $11 bucks

Talk to your local supplier, they are often your best source of info. Tell them your tastes and you'll probably get a good recipe.

The initial keg set-up came to us for a steal. We were set up for less than a $1000 Canadian and that was a few years ago. No recharge needed on the freon or nothin'. It has been a true pleasure to do it this way.

Raise a glass to your neighbours,
be they right next door or the next country. :)
Cheers
Cal

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.