Riding the ghost city - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th April 2004, 04:03 AM   #11
BrianGT is offline BrianGT  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to BrianGT
Very cool story. I like the comparison to Pompeii.

Quite a long story, 27 chapters total, but worthwhile to read the entire thing.

Seemed like a calculated risk, but I wouldn't take it. Imagine what would happen if the motorcycle broke down...

--
Brian
Old 8th April 2004, 09:00 AM   #12
roibm is offline roibm  Romania
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by fdegrove
Hi,
To my mind this picture strikes me as a good example:

Cheers,

As my first 10 years on this world I lived under communism, I would say that communism had some advantages over the so called democracy that rules these days in my country.
If there is one advantage, that must be the fact that the people were united, helped each other much more than they help each other these days. These days they are more like the std capitalist person: MONEY, work, sleep, impassibility about the others, envy etc. I dearly remember some parties we had, parties which the std western guy will never understand, parties @ which everybody invited brought the very little they had, but the soul was there and that was the magic bit. It's hard to explain.

But then again, communism had it's horrors: the so called security which had informers anywhere and everywhere would be the worst in my opinion. And one more very strange thing in communism: one had the money to buy different products, but the products were missing(oranges, cola etc.) I remember I had to stay once in the que like 4 hours for 1kg oranges. And that was still very good for me, because normally you couln't get such products(is was a Christmas special)
Old 8th April 2004, 08:50 PM   #13
Ken L is offline Ken L  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by roibm
If there is one advantage, that must be the fact that the people were united, helped each other much more than they help each other these days.
I was born in 1946 and raised in the Southeastern US.

Interestingly enough, that comment is one I have made about where I live.

We had a simpler and less prosperous life. Yet there was much more of a sense of helping others and a sense of community and friendliness in those days. Or so is my recollection.

Really interesting link

nothing less than stunning

Regards

Ken L
Old 8th April 2004, 08:59 PM   #14
fcel is offline fcel  United States
diyAudio Member

roibm,
You & another member here has the same profile signature. Is that coincidental or intentional?
Old 8th April 2004, 09:30 PM   #15
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken L

We had a simpler and less prosperous life. Yet there was much more of a sense of helping others and a sense of community and friendliness in those days. Or so is my recollection.
It is the same everywhere. It was the same in East Germany, Poland, Hungary, Bulgaria. I spoke with people from all those places and they all agree that the people were really nice compared to how they are these days(greedy many would say).

Quote:
Originally posted by fcel

You & another member here has the same profile signature. Is that coincidental or intentional?
A third option: It is because I like those words a lot.
For me they represent the truth(don't tell me that you consider the soldiers that kill civilians - many, btw - anything else but terrorists). Of course, to indulge yourself into believing whatever you want to believe is still an open option.
Old 8th April 2004, 10:51 PM   #16
Account Disabled

Quote:
For me they represent the truth(don't tell me that you consider the soldiers that kill civilians - many, btw - anything else but terrorists).

is intent a factor here?

People do get hurt once in a while, in accidents for example. We wouldn't call them terrorists. or do we?

To me, a terrorist is someone who act with the intent to terrorize. A pilot accidentally dropping a bomb in a village isn't a terrorist. A suicide bomber walking into the crowded cafe has the intent to kill civilians. Thus a terrorist.
Old 9th April 2004, 09:54 AM   #17
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by millwood
is intent a factor here?

People do get hurt once in a while, in accidents for example. We wouldn't call them terrorists. or do we?
This accidents are not self caused. It's easy to call them accidents as there are not your people that get killed in these so called accidents. How would you call them when your people would get killed? How? I bet you won't call them collateral damage. Or would you?

Quote:
To me, a terrorist is someone who act with the intent to terrorize. A pilot accidentally dropping a bomb in a village isn't a terrorist. A suicide bomber walking into the crowded cafe has the intent to kill civilians. Thus a terrorist.
To me the act of terrorism is the act of inflicting terror among others. The terrorists are the parties that cause the terrorism.
Now don't tell me that the people in the cities bombarder night after night by the invaders fell anything else but terrorized. Or during their search from house to house. Have you seen that on tv? They looked very happy being searched? To me they looked more like terrorized. How many examples do you want?
BTW, I wonder if you describe the invaders using any other words... And if you do, how would you call an international force that invades your country without UN approval? The reasons for these would be many: you have the most WoMD in the entire world, you are the biggest pollutant in the entire world(thus damaging more than any other country the world, and you also refuse signing Kyoto).
For a somewhat detailed list of US internation involvments see:
http://worldwildwest.dse.nl/usinterventionsnav.htm
Old 9th April 2004, 11:15 AM   #18
Account Disabled

Quote:

This accidents are not self caused. It's easy to call them accidents as there are not your people that get killed in these so called accidents. How would you call them when your people would get killed? How? I bet you won't call them collateral damage. Or would you?
if my people were killed in an accident, i would call them killed in an accident.

a tip for you: you don't want to ask a question until you know how the other party is going to answer that question.
Old 9th April 2004, 01:03 PM   #19
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by millwood
if my people were killed in an accident, i would call them killed in an accident.
BS. You would still call them accidents when the number of those killed in accidents is 100's(or 1000's)? Human, have you got some dignity? (It is a question)
Old 9th April 2004, 01:31 PM   #20
Account Disabled

Quote:
BS.

I am not going to dignify you by responding to this type of language.

Hide this!Advertise here!