What Are The Requirements For EU Membership? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd April 2004, 12:44 AM   #11
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Well, the original question was about Turkey, but when it emerged that there really was no geographical requirement, all kinds of possiblilites open up.

Who knows, maybe one day Quebec will ask to join.

In fact, Frank deGrove once called for Canada to join the EU on these very pages. He meant it as a joke at the time, but when you think about it, it might not be that outlandish.
Old 3rd April 2004, 03:54 AM   #12
Rob M is offline Rob M  United States
diyAudio Member

Lots of folks back East, they say, is leavin' home every day,
Beatin' the hot old dusty way to the California line.
'Cross the desert sands they roll, gettin' out of that old dust bowl,
They think they're goin' to a sugar bowl, but here's what they find --
Now, the police at the port of entry say,
"You're number fourteen thousand for today."

Oh, if you ain't got the do re mi, folks, you ain't got the do re mi,
Why, you better go back to beautiful Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Georgia, Tennessee.
California is a garden of Eden, a paradise to live in or see;
But believe it or not, you won't find it so hot
If you ain't got the do re mi.

You want to buy you a home or a farm, that can't deal nobody harm,
Or take your vacation by the mountains or sea.
Don't swap your old cow for a car, you better stay right where you are,
Better take this little tip from me.
'Cause I look through the want ads every day
But the headlines on the papers always say:

If you ain't got the do re mi, boys, you ain't got the do re mi,
Why, you better go back to beautiful Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Georgia, Tennessee.
California is a garden of Eden, a paradise to live in or see;
But believe it or not, you won't find it so hot
If you ain't got the do re mi.
Old 18th April 2004, 07:11 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Well every member has a veto and only one member can keep any country out of the EU. But there are a lot of compromises going on. For instance " I will vote for your favourate country if you vote for mine"

About Tourkey, they will never be a full member of the EU because nobody in Europe wants them and nobody in Europe wants any countries outside the borders of Europe. Tourkey belongs to ASIA and thats it.
Old 18th April 2004, 08:08 AM   #14
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

You fear the same will happen like when Greece and Portugal joined the union ? Their economy exists because of the union.

Quote:
About Turkey, they will never be a full member of the EU because nobody in Europe wants them and nobody in Europe wants any countries outside the borders of Europe. Turkey belongs to ASIA and thats it.
You Greeks are so biased when the discussion is about Turkey. Only the expression "nobody in Europe wants them" when you're talking about a country makes clear how *you* think of your neighbours. I've never been able to discuss these matters with Greeks in a normal way, the Ottoman empire seems etched in their minds. Funny thing is that you are so similar to Turks except for religion. Another striking difference is that the Turks are much more positive about Greece and the Greeks whereas a lot of Greeks see the Turks as some kind of Untermenschen. This at a level that I've got the idea that this way of thinking must come from education at home/school or from religion as I otherwise can't explain this collective hatredge for Turkey and its inhabitants. It can't be about things that happened 100nds of years ago, can it ?

Unfortunately both sides seem to want to continue this silly, childish quarreling for a few hundred years to come...
Old 18th April 2004, 08:19 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Well the reason we are so similar is that we made them civilized through our contact for hundreds of years. They were nothing more than nomads who came from the depths of asia. They learned what culture is, science, food etc.

1000 of years? You donīt know anything about history do you.
Things happened in the 70s, in the 60s in the 20s in the 10s etc.
2-3 million people were forced to leave turkey leaving behind houses welth and there life. They had to immigrate to greece having only what they could carry. thousands were killed. The turks did what the germans did to the jews. They burned and destroyd all greek stores and told them to take what they can and leave. that happend in the last 60 years. In costantinopel "istanbul" which means the same there used to be 1,5 million greeks and today not more that 1-2 thousand.

The made a genoside in the past century killing 1,4 million Armenians. Not to mention kurds, greeks from Pontos and others. Thats millions of souls.

The Germans also did the same with jews but they changed and wanted to be a part of europe. The turks have never changed and never have paid for their crimes.

What have they given to the rest of the world the last 600 years? Only stealing and distruction.

Second we changed our policy in europe and actually want them to be a member of the EU. Just to shake off the bad name we have as the ones who donīt want them. The problem is that turks donīt want to intergrate into europe in the first place.

Itīs the rest of Europe does want them. Specialy france and Germany.
Old 18th April 2004, 08:25 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally posted by promitheus
Well the reason we are so similar is that we made them civilized through our contact for hundreds of years. They were nothing more than nomads who came from the depths of asia. They learned what culture is, science, food etc.

What have they given to the rest of the world the last 600 years? Only stealing and destruction.

Biased is the wrong word, maybe racism is a better description.

You are clearly the superior people as your history books taught you. The disrespect you show for a whole people is apalling.
Old 18th April 2004, 08:34 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

You can read my post again, i just edited it.

I wouldnīt say superior. I am not a racist. but what I said is a fact. When you give me the light and i kill you what am I?
I am a fool. Right?

The facts talk for themselves. Maybe you never read anything and you donīt know the facts.

I think you have a very narrow knowledge of europian history to be able to discuss this subject.
Old 18th April 2004, 08:40 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

you donīt have to read the wrong books or learn the wrong history to know that germans killed millions of jews in the II WW.
You know that because the ones who survived could tell about the holocaust.

I knew many people who survived the destruction of the greek cities in turkey like Smirni, Ionia , Kostantinoupolis, Mikra Asia in general. Those people lived the destruction. Their family members where killed. I donīt think all those millions of people were lying. There are also photos and films that documented it.
Old 18th April 2004, 09:36 AM   #19

Your version of european history does not interest me. I am glad I live in the present, it is sad to see young people living in a twisted version of the past. Propaganda can change a generation it seems.

Your people have brought nothing but good to the world and they were defeated by savage humans that are still a threat to you and your high civilisation. You were always the victim and you never started conflicts.

Wake up please.
Old 18th April 2004, 09:59 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

When people donīt have an interest for history and donīt learn from it to be better in the future, then sadly history will repeat itself.

Sad but true.

Hide this!Advertise here!