Another Mac vrs windows bash

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A new toy

Here's what landed on my desk this afternoon.
Had a bit of a scare yesterday and needed it for a back -up.

The 20" screen is very nice. Apple sure makes a good one.

Cheers
Cal

Attachments

• img_3418.jpg
    img_3418.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 43
Re: Re: A new toy

peranders said:
... and what about the 30" from Apple?.....:cloud9: :up:

Great idea, but the screen alone costs $4700 Canadian or around $3300 USD.

I can wait

planet10 said:

The 20 inch iMac is a real stunner Cal.
dave

Thanks Dave,
I have a big grin-on right now. Actually watched Bowling for Columbine on it last night. Nice quality for a computer screen. Good movie too. Unless you ask some of our US friends I suppose. Excellent bit on Canada.

Cal, the happy Canadian

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Re: Re: A new toy

Cal Weldon said:
but the screen alone costs $4700 Canadian or around $3300 USD.

Not available till August at the earliest and you have to add in the special video card needed to drive it (but the card does drive 2 of them)... i'm just awaiting someone to buy me a Dual 2.5 HHz G5 with 2 of these... make a nice little set-up.

dave

Re: Pffffff...

carlosfm said:

Is that stable?
:clown:

In my hardware days, 14 years ago, I installed a Unix system in a hotel.
Compaq Systempro server and "stupid" terminals (we call them stupid because everything runs on the server, the terminal is just a screen, RS232 connection).
It worked continuously without one single problem for 4 years.:eek:

Sounds familiar. I work for a telco, all the boxes have uptimes measured in (many) days or years. We sometimes restart applications on a regular basis to clean things up a bit, because they don't crash on their own account :D Not talking about the OS, that's up 100%.

Best in my view is VMS, we had a platform running for years with only two alarms: database full (oops, large batch of subs loaded during the weekend) and the "closing down application" alarm when i shut it down at the end of it's live :D

With VMS you can edit huge files with a texteditor (i love eve) or processes them with dcl scripts. I sometimes mis-use a SMS-centre to edit really huge files :D

Unix is fine too, applications seem to crash more but the OS is stable. And tandem non-stop OS is just that :D

I must admit, the systems are looked over contineously ;) But this is true: the less people log on to a system, the longer the uptime!

And now for the pc's we use day-to-day. Got a PIII without any problems, it just runs anything and i can start lots of applications (java-gui's,x-terminals,office stuff, whatever) without problems. But my two collegues (with faster and newer) PC's in the room have a different story. One has a pc that hangs at least once a day. The other has less problems, but sees a core-dump once a month. That is with NT4. My collegues are jealous at me :D

And the collegues with a laptop are cursed, those things crash by just looking at them. But they are running 98 and even some have 95 :hot: (don't start on this, i know it sounds unbelievable). I dont want a laptop :whazzat:

My pc at home is 98 too, but running smoothly. But i do use a lot of tools regularly to keep it fit.

:)

The diskette thing

guido said:
Unix is fine too, applications seem to crash more but the OS is stable. And tandem non-stop OS is just that :D

Well... the application in question sometimes crashed, but I put the fault on the app (Basic under Unix:bawling: ) and not the SO.
The solution was very simple, we "killed" the session.:D
The software guys connected remotely by modem to fix the reported errors, and I had this feeling that the app was actually in development, not fully tested.:clown:
SCO Unix was bullet-proof, and the hardware in question too.
4 years up and runnin'.:cool:
Until a day that one of the hard disks gave up the ghost and I had to install SCO Unix on diskettes (more than 30:bawling: ) and recover a tape backup.:D

I also miss MS-DOS, better than Windows.:devily:
My batch-files were quite:cool: , very advanced.:D

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Cal Weldon said:
Actually dave, I was thinking about getting one of the 3500GB units for my back -up. It sure beats burning DVD's:
Server
What do you think?

You need another room for the server products... they don't have fans, they have blowers :)

Probably makes more sense for home use to just buy terabyte (1000 GB) LaCie external firewire drives. By the time you use up the space and buy the 4th one (to equal above), the cost of the last one will probably be a 1/4 of the cost of the 1st one.

And you can pick them up and put them under your arm. (6.3 x 3.4 x 10.6 in. / 173 x 88 268 mm (LxWxH))

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.