Need help to buy a system -- Portland, Oregon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There are a number of dealers here in the Portland area. I have worked for several over the last 16 years that we have lived here as an audio/video installer. I quit working full time a couple of years ago due to arthritis, but still work part time for a couple of local dealers.

I have also been a stereo enthusiast for close to 40 years. If you would like, as a favor, I can talk with her and give her MY OPINION about where to shop.

If you think this might interest her, send me a PM and I will forward my cell number that you can give her.
This is really nice of you. Very few would give of their personal time to help a friend. I'll definitely pass on the details to my friend when she's about to start looking around for her system.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi tcpip,
You're still on the right track.

I would recommend a receiver without a DAC so she doesn't exclude other rather excellent equipment. If it turns out to have a DAC, great. She could compare the source audio with the source digital then. What you want is something that will last for >20 years just because it is built well. As for the high end Marantz, I am not familiar with the model numbers, but they tend to punch above their weight.

A good receiver will be heavy these days, same for speakers. She can do some shopping by lifting these things up (don't laugh, transformers, heat sinks and a chassis are heavy).

I used one suggestion for people looking for speakers. Have her listen to the to the upper models first. Then have her listen as the models get less expensive. At some point she will hit a level she doesn't like, and in so doing has found the least expensive speaker in that line she will like.

Now this won't win me any friends. Have her listen in mono, or one channel only. She will therefore hear the sound and not the stereo effects. If it sounds good in mono, things will only improve in stereo. But you want to listen to the speaker and not the stereo effects. Many people I have met found this to be a very effective way to zero in on the speakers for them. It eliminates salespeople who use a certain piece of music that the speaker they want her to buy sounds it's best. She needs to buy the speaker she likes the best.

I did a stint as a stereo salesman in the 70's. I was successful in pairing people with the right products most of the time. Another good sign is a salesperson who actually listens to her, then maybe ask some questions before turning anything for her to hear.

-Chris

... In a year or so perhaps she will have more listening experience in her own room and be more involved in choosing with you whichever OB might come next, plus by then you'll have made important local connections to help out! Baby steps.
Sounds super-sensible to me. I'll pitch a headphone rig to her, let me see. A digital media player, maybe a good DAC, then a good headphone amp, and a good pair of cans. I agree totally that music can't sound sweet till you're somewhat involved with your gear. There's no pleasure in driving holidays (at least for me) unless I'm at least somewhat involved with the car. And this involvement takes a bit of time to grow. The timidity of a beginner needs to give way to confidence.

I'll place these choices before her -- let's see what she likes. Maybe she doesn't like the idea of cans covering her ears at all. Who knows?

I am long out of the retail audio business, but your friend would be welcome to visit my home and to listen to my setup. I'm only a few miles from Portland, and would be happy to show her what a modest investment can do. Kef 101, homebuilt subs, OrangePi server....
You sir, are a man after mine own heart, but you may frighten my friend away with DIY stuff -- OrangePi?? Really??? :D:D

My current project is to build a media player with the RPi 3, to emit digital audio. My speakers are DIY. But I'm hesitant to expose her too much to the DIY world, it might scare her away. :D

Jokes apart, I think I'll pass on your details to her whenever she's ready to go out and meet people and listen. She needs to get exposed to good music systems, and a friendly environment is hard to find.

I would recommend a receiver without a DAC so she doesn't exclude other rather excellent equipment. If it turns out to have a DAC, great. She could compare the source audio with the source digital then. What you want is something that will last for >20 years just because it is built well. As for the high end Marantz, I am not familiar with the model numbers, but they tend to punch above their weight.
Yes, maybe she'll need to think of a chain of separates: media player -> DAC -> amp. I am aware of the Marantz mid and upper end models -- they'll be easy to find.

A good receiver will be heavy these days, same for speakers. She can do some shopping by lifting these things up (don't laugh, transformers, heat sinks and a chassis are heavy).
I am not laughing. I've seen a Mark Levinson amp being lifted up by two men.

I used one suggestion for people looking for speakers. Have her listen to the to the upper models first. Then have her listen as the models get less expensive. At some point she will hit a level she doesn't like, and in so doing has found the least expensive speaker in that line she will like.
This is a good idea. I was going to ask her anyway to listen to models outside her budget, just to get exposed to really good sound. (Not that expensive always delivers very good sound, but she'll be better off for any exposure she can get.)

She needs a good, non-pushy dealer. Hope she finds one. In Portland. (She's refused to go to SF to look for systems. I had thought SF may have a wider choice.)

With no disrespect i consider the budget to be completely wrong . I have always considered that for any budget the biggest percentage should be spent on the source not the speakers.
The argument against this being the speakers as the final part of the chain should be the best part of the system , the other side of the coin being garbage in garbage out a great pair of speakers aren't going to make a poor source sound better but are more likely to show its shortcomings .
So for say $5000 source $2000 amp $1500 speakers $1000 cables/stands $500 .
It's much simpler to decide a source and then match the amp /speakers accordingly .
I personally think she would be better off taking her taste in music to a good dealer ( possibility with the recommendation of any Portland residents ) and listen to a selection of equipment until she finds the kind of sound she likes rather than suggestions from afar .
Buying simply because someone said so is like going out and buying kit made up of the latest 5 star reviews and expecting it to work well together let alone actually enjoy the sound it makes.

I couldn't disagree more.

My source is a small old computer running Daphile, through a USB DAC, homebuilt preamp to homebuilt active speakers. The source was very cheap and very capable, certainly not $5,000; a figure I would not ever spend on a source.

Putting aside my homebuilt stuff, i suggest;

1. Source; small PC running Daphile (Google it, does ripping, internet radio, plays CDs, Spotify, Pandora, make and save playlists, and controlled by a smartphone). Runs Headless except for installation which isn't hard. Thereafter, maintained via web interface.
Computer about $500

2. An USB DAC, if the computer soundcard is deemed unsuitable. If alright, cost nil, otherwise about $100

3. Generic amp; 80 - 100 Watts per channel, $200 to $300

4. Cables, less than $50, if even that.

5. Speakers; audition a couple but spend $1,500 to $2,000 on either 2.5 or 3 ways, narrow but multiple bass drivers.

All up, maximum of $3,000, probably a fair bit less.

tcpip,
It really is easy. The instructions are downloadable from daphile.com. It won't hurt to have a look.

The PC can be the smallest you can find with a CD/DVD drive and it can sit in a cupboard, out of sight. It needs three connections; power, audio out, and network or wifi.

It is the ONLY source I have used for a couple of years.

That's very generous of jplesset to offer a listen! And I remember seeing your very cool architecture.

My advice was along the lines of the numbers of other posters that suggest baby steps first before going whole hog. The LSR305 and LSR308 should be available at a number of big-box stores or something like Musician's Friend/Guitar Center (I know one is on the corner of Scholls Ferry and 217 by Washington Square) as they're lower-end-but-still-very-decent studio monitors. Could readily be used with something like a Daphile + USB soundcard setup and get her off the ground in short order. Plenty of other very good recommendations here though, and mine is on the lower-budget end for sure.

At some point, she'll either be pleased with that setup or have a much clearer idea what she wants. Good luck!

My advice was along the lines of the numbers of other posters that suggest baby steps first before going whole hog....

At some point, she'll either be pleased with that setup or have a much clearer idea what she wants. Good luck!
Yes, I'm passing on the options to her -- let me see how comfortable she feels with each. The only thing I'm asking her to do is listen (a lot) before buying.

Last edited:
Costs a lot actually. I saw Sweetwater quoting $7,995 for a pair. :(

Any idea about the 2-way models, the SCM20 active model? The price seems to be $5,000 or so/pair.

Thanks, pal. This is exactly what my feeling was too.

I know but I based that on the fact that you were considering passive B&W costing $6k per pair which would need an amp which the ATCs do not.

I don't think you can go wrong with active ATCs but I very much prefer 3ways to 2ways and that ATC dome is one of the very best mid ranges available at any price.

I know but I based that on the fact that you were considering passive B&W costing $6k per pair which would need an amp which the ATCs do not.

I don't think you can go wrong with active ATCs but I very much prefer 3ways to 2ways and that ATC dome is one of the very best mid ranges available at any price.
I agree. I'll see if I can find an ATC dealer in Portland who will let her audition these speakers. I am not sure she'll have a budget for the 3-ways, but the 2-ways are well within the figures she'd mentioned.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.