Please read.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Although not audio related, I thought I would relay this from my sis, a school teacher.

Subject: Police Warning

POLICE WARNING,

ONE OF THE OFFICERS WHO WORKS WITH THE DARE PROGRAM HERE IN SHREVEPORT HAS PASSED ALONG THE FOLLOWING WARNING AND ASKED THAT IT BE SHARED WITH ALL DRIVERS. THIS IS AN EXTREMELY SERIOUS MATTER.

IF YOU ARE DRIVING AFTER DARK AND YOU SEE A CAR WITHOUT ITS HEAD-LIGHTS ON......DO NOT FLASH YOUR LIGHTS!! DO NOT BLOW YOUR HORN OR MAKE ANY SIGNALS TO THE DRIVER OF THE OTHER CAR.....

THERE IS A NEW COMMON GANG INITIATION 'GAME' GOING ON THE STREETS. THE NEW MEMBER BEING INITIATED DRIVES ALONG WITHOUT HIS HEADLIGHTS ON UNTIL SOMEONE NOTICES AND FLASHES THEIR HEADLIGHTS OR MAKES SOME SORT OF OTHER ACTION TO SIGNAL HIM. THE GANG MEMBER IS NOW REQUIRED TO CHASE THE CAR AND SHOOT AT OR INTO THE CAR IN ORDER TO COMPLETE HIS INITIATION REQUIREMENTS.

MAKE SURE YOU SHARE THIS INFORMATION WITH YOUR FAMILY, FRIENDS, AND ANYONE ELSE YOU CAN REACH. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR REQUIRE MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CALL
YOUR LOCAL POLICE DEPARTMENT.

PLEASE TAKE THIS SERIOUSLY. THIS IS NOT A JOKE. PLEASE PASS THIS ON TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW ON E-MAIL AND IN PERSON. IT COULD SAVE SOMEONE'S LIFE.

David B. Hebert
Manager, Staff Development & Training
LifeShare Blood Centers
8910 Linwood Avenue
Shreveport, Louisiana 71106

Positron said:
PLEASE TAKE THIS SERIOUSLY. THIS IS NOT A JOKE. PLEASE PASS THIS ON TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW ON E-MAIL AND IN PERSON. IT COULD SAVE SOMEONE'S LIFE.

ANYTHING that says this is guaranteed UL. If it has to tell you to take it seriously, it must not be too serious. Unless it's funny and is sure to be enjoyed by the recipient, you shouldn't pass on anything that says "please pass this on to everyone" either...similar reasons..
The official-looking signature at the bottom merely makes it look authentic... I've heard of many UL's with names of people who haven't even heard of the subject in them! I wouldn't be suprised if Dave hebert would be confused as well.

And yes, plz move to Everything Else forum. ;)

Oh, and Snopes is a great reference. Keep it in mind whenever you spot something like this. Debunking rules! :D

Tim

Don't stick your finger in the change return slot of payphones- people are putting HIV-infected nedles in there!

Don't let your kids play in the ball pits at McDonalds Playland- there are snakes in there!

Did you know that all the Jews who worked in the Twin Towers received phone calls in advance of 9/11 warning them to stay away?

Snopes is indeed one of the best sites on the Net. And the series of Urban Legend books by Prof. Jan Harold Brunnevand are truly the Ur-texts. That was the first place I ran into this "Lights Out!" story.

Debunking rules!

Would that this were true! The parallelism between the stuff that folks like Randi and Shermer report on and some of the stuff that goes on in audio (and maybe the majority of the stuff in high-end audio) is eerie and highly suggestive.

SY said:

Would that this were true! The parallelism between the stuff that folks like Randi and Shermer report on and some of the stuff that goes on in audio (and maybe the majority of the stuff in high-end audio) is eerie and highly suggestive.

Ain't it true, yesterday a totally legit site had a link to a guy who thought that you could series 50 Digikey piezo sensors and detect gravity waves. He even showed a picture of a sin(x)/x artifact and said it even looks like a black hole with an accretion disk.

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
I applaud Positron for posting this.

Urban legend this might be, but it is not far from reality.

A couple of years ago the The New York Times ran a story on the knifing death of a cashier in a Chinese restaurant. There were other attacks in the neighborhood which did not seem to meet the pattern of normal crime.

It turned out that The Bloods, a Los Angeles gang, was now recruiting in New York. Their motto is: Blood In, Blood Out.

In other words, in order to get accepted, you had to kill someone. And if you ever try to leave the gang, they kill you.

Exactly how far is that news item from The New York Times different from Positron's story? Not far at all. Yet it was true.

If Positron's item is an urban legend, it is one that a reasonable person could easily believe. Positron took a chance on perhaps saving someone's life. To be honest with you, I thought it was actually true.

Even the name Hebert and Louisiana ring true. There was a Louisiana Representative, F. Robert Hebert, who made headlines some years back about VietNam. They named a law school after him. And quarterback Bobby Hebert, also from Louisiana, emerged from the World Football League to become a starting quarterback in the NFL for quite a few years. These are the only people I ever remember named Hebert, and they were both from Louisiana. So someone with that name with a prominent position in Louisiana added veracity to the report.

I really don't blame Postiron for posting this. I believed it when I read it.

Apologies

Thanks Keltic for your support. I apologize if this has offended anyone. I guess I got dooped, but I figured even if it was a hoax, that it might help us to be more careful.

I have one friend whose son worked at the postal service in/around Chicago. One day a car stopped behind him. A kid got out and shot him twice. He survived, but from what his dad said, the shooting was a gang initiation "test".

As far as being posted on the tube forum, I only post there because all are my friends there.

Sorry for any inconvenience and/or offense.

Sincerely,
Steve

Did you know that all the Jews who worked in the Twin Towers received phone calls in advance of 9/11 warning them to stay away?

Dont forget the evel arabs

W.M.D

Sadams dangerous

Osama bin who?

Oh yeh and my favorate one, Alkaida ;)

That's the way all the best cons/lies/urban myths/politicians work, 95% truthful, but with a small but important little twist

95% genuine fear 5% Its there fault :mad:

GOEBBELS' PRINCIPLES OF PROPAGANDA
Based upon Goebbels' Principles of Propaganda by Leonard W. Doob, published in Public Opinion and Propaganda; A Book of Readings edited for The Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues.

1. Propagandist must have access to intelligence concerning events and public opinion.

2. Propaganda must be planned and executed by only one authority.
a. It must issue all the propaganda directives.

b. It must explain propaganda directives to important officials and maintain their morale.

c. It must oversee other agencies' activities which have propaganda consequences

3. The propaganda consequences of an action must be considered in planning that action.

4. Propaganda must affect the enemy's policy and action.
a. By suppressing propagandistically desirable material which can provide the enemy with useful intelligence

b. By openly disseminating propaganda whose content or tone causes the enemy to draw the desired conclusions

c. By goading the enemy into revealing vital information about himself

d. By making no reference to a desired enemy activity when any reference would discredit that activity

5. Declassified, operational information must be available to implement a propaganda campaign

6. To be perceived, propaganda must evoke the interest of an audience and must be transmitted through an attention-getting communications medium.

7. Credibility alone must determine whether propaganda output should be true or false.

8. The purpose, content and effectiveness of enemy propaganda; the strength and effects of an expose; and the nature of current propaganda campaigns determine whether enemy propaganda should be ignored or refuted.

9. Credibility, intelligence, and the possible effects of communicating determine whether propaganda materials should be censored.

10. Material from enemy propaganda may be utilized in operations when it helps diminish that enemy's prestige or lends support to the propagandist's own objective.

11. Black rather than white propaganda may be employed when the latter is less credible or produces undesirable effects.

12. Propaganda may be facilitated by leaders with prestige.

13. Propaganda must be carefully timed.
a. The communication must reach the audience ahead of competing propaganda.

b. A propaganda campaign must begin at the optimum moment

c. A propaganda theme must be repeated, but not beyond some point of diminishing effectiveness

14. Propaganda must label events and people with distinctive phrases or slogans.
a. They must evoke desired responses which the audience previously possesses

b. They must be capable of being easily learned

c. They must be utilized again and again, but only in appropriate situations

d. They must be boomerang-proof

15. Propaganda to the home front must prevent the raising of false hopes which can be blasted by future events.

16. Propaganda to the home front must create an optimum anxiety level.
a. Propaganda must reinforce anxiety concerning the consequences of defeat

b. Propaganda must diminish anxiety (other than concerning the consequences of defeat) which is too high and which cannot be reduced by people themselves

17. Propaganda to the home front must diminish the impact of frustration.
a. Inevitable frustrations must be anticipated

b. Inevitable frustrations must be placed in perspective

18. Propaganda must facilitate the displacement of aggression by specifying the targets for hatred.

19. Propaganda cannot immediately affect strong counter-tendencies; instead it must offer some form of action or diversion, or both.

http://www.psywarrior.com/Goebbels.html

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.