Biggest obstacle to portable electronics: battery - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th June 2016, 04:02 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Biggest obstacle to portable electronics: battery

I am perhaps the younger generations of diyaudio members but i did experience NiCad.. then NiMH.. then the latest one is Li-Ion. Li-Ion no longer suffers the memory effect of the previous two but still i feel that it's losing the race to improve portable electronics. The reduction of size of portable devices for the last two decades have been amazing but what's the point of having quad-core processor, blazing fast graphic chips, multiple connectivities and high RAM on your phone if it lasts only for two hours?

I would pay more for bulky smart phones that last two days than fancy thin ones that need charging every two hours. I am even considering on carrying motorcycle dry battery in my backpack for those long commutes

What will be the next improvement of portable device battery? Are we close to mass production?
Old 24th June 2016, 06:07 AM   #2
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballpencil View Post
I would pay more for bulky smart phones that last two days than fancy thin ones that need charging every two hours. I am even considering on carrying motorcycle dry battery in my backpack for those long commutes

What will be the next improvement of portable device battery? Are we close to mass production?
Material science/engineering is the main technology in the world that is advancing and acts as the main driver/catalyst for improvements in (other) commercial sectors. The other factor is of course what the consumers is willing to pay...

The (material) science and (electronics) technology is already there. Sometimes, it has to wait for the market to decide on which direction it should advance.

Today we have advancement in solid state and wireless technology. In the future it might be like cars who have gas stations everywhere. It is just that the charging can be done wirelessly and remotely.
Old 24th June 2016, 06:47 PM   #3
Eldam is offline Eldam  France
diyAudio Member

LiPoFe4 seems to be one of he several improvements seen today ! But, layers, markett, lobbies, chips designers, etc ! All is about voltage !

But I don't care, being older, I go back from cells to the old good wires and sofa ! In Indonesia you have one of the best system everywhere for energy transformation : clorophyl.... and far nicer than cells on the sand ! Lucky you !

Last edited by Eldam; 24th June 2016 at 06:51 PM.
Old 24th June 2016, 08:03 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Good points, all. If we can find a way to reduce power consumption to 50%, it would be like having twice the battery capacity, then improving the battery life becomes lesser priority.. As Jay mentioned, it's a matter of finding the right material combination, be it for longer battery life or better power efficiency. Sigh.. both could not come any sooner.

How about peeing on your cellphone to charge it
Urine-powered battery offers cheap energy source
Old 24th June 2016, 08:19 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Some of the best french research in our 7 billions world : picture one !

From the same engineering team in 25 years (9 billions people, we heated the empty cells) : picture 2 !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hamster-300x225.jpg (23.9 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg hamster-wheel-standing-desk-14196.jpg (70.7 KB, 118 views)
Old 24th June 2016, 09:53 PM   #6
infinia is offline infinia  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballpencil View Post
Good points, all. If we can find a way to reduce power consumption to 50%, it would be like having twice the battery capacity, [/url]
easy, how about staring at a silly screen half as much and interact with 'real life'. sheesh smart phones...
or put a blanket over yer head and turn down the LCD backlight.
I'm pretty sure battery storage Whr densities have improved massively over NiCd in the same 2 decades of compute power.
AFAIK LG has a newer model selling with a modular battery pack so there's your 'double wish' right there.

Last edited by infinia; 24th June 2016 at 10:21 PM.
Old 24th June 2016, 11:29 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

This Strange new continent where all our politician have a house....TWEETER ! Always at home now, never at work anymore
Old 25th June 2016, 06:22 AM   #8
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldam View Post
This Strange new continent where all our politician have a house....TWEETER !
I haven't been there. Is there any swimming pools there? (Anybody as old as Eldam need a regular exercise! )
Old 25th June 2016, 07:06 AM   #9
Ron E is online now Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

NiMH has no memory effect. Another benefit of NiMH over NiCd is that cells don't short out and die. Li-ion is nice and light, but has a capacity degradation over time (a cell with 500 cycles might have 50% the capacity of a new one) that seems more than the others.

I have one of these that I use to charge my phone every day or two and it lasts for weeks. https://www.amazon.com/EasyAcc-15000...p_ob_image_wld

About the same size as my phone and ~3x as thick
Old 25th June 2016, 12:05 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I haven't been there. Is there any swimming pools there? (Anybody as old as Eldam need a regular exercise! )
Absolutely : a little swimm between Flores and Komodo is good for health, if you escape the sharcs, the bats, then the varangs, that's you have a good cardio training !

When I look for a job people asks me why I'm not on twiteer, Facebook, LinkedIn, whatshap mother, etc? This is just because I have no time ... how you can work and spend the day on it !

To go back to the topic, there are some nice cells for DAC & Pre if you want zero noise injection and low ESR at the same time (then after volor the sound with the caps an LDO regs shematic you like) : Iancanada had nice result with 123 cells (beware to counterfacts) : the ESR is so low than if you have a charger for balance the loads you can use it in serie ! He uses like some for the clocks ! But Frankly why not also for the 3.3V of an ESS dac chip (it will be closetr to a 3.2V with such cell but it should doesn't hurt!)

selamat tingall

Hide this!Advertise here!