Audio Quest possibly caught in scam - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th February 2016, 04:34 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Audio Quest possibly caught in scam

AudioQuest HDMI Cables | Real HD-Audio

OT for full range fans but good to know. Back in the 1990s I bought two 8ft lengths of Audio Quest Crystal and have Ruby interconnects. I don't use either anymore and believe I left the Crystal in the marital home after the divorce - never to be seen or heard again.

I bought a 500 foot spool of regular 16 gague cable from Parts Express a few years back and use that for everything.

Godzilla
Old 4th February 2016, 05:04 PM   #2
rdf is offline rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

Can't vouch for the content or points because I didn't read but comment here:

An Open Letter from Bill Low of AudioQuest | Stereophile.com
Old 4th February 2016, 06:58 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I'm sure no one is surprised by all of this........at least the rational ones that understand known physics and how it relates to cables.
Old 4th February 2016, 08:17 PM   #4
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

I recently bought a spool of 500ft of 18gauge stranded speaker wire for $18. I'm good for a while

Note that Wesayso in his Twin Towers thread did measure a difference an acoustical phase shift and impedance from one type of cable to another by accident. It's important because he is concentrating on having nice flat phase (or maybe now it has morphed to minimum phase?) at the listening position. But that is rare and it wasn't like the difference between cheap and expensive cables.
Old 4th February 2016, 08:34 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the amusing post. I think most of us who have been in this hobby are already dubious or unbelieving of $100+ (or even less) cables. I've seen, heard live demos, experimented with cables more than enough times; the "what if" does not move me anymore. It helps to have a buddy who owns an audio shop where samples show up and are equaled and sometimes defeated by "Radio Shack" cables. There are a few exceptions, but even at that not worth the $$$ value wise.
Old 4th February 2016, 08:59 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

A cable would have to be very resistive before it made a lot of difference and affect the sound.

I did some research into cables for a project in the 1990's.
I was quite surprised how cables varied resistively per metre length.
We were looking for cable for a CCTV system and that required low voltage drop along quite long runs of cable.
I just bought in lots of samples, tested them and used the best.
Old 4th February 2016, 09:13 PM   #7
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

OT thread moved to the Lounge.
Old 4th February 2016, 09:38 PM   #8
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

in the 1980's with a cheap 2-channel Onkyo receiver and cheap 3-way EPI speakers, I could hear the difference between one short run of #16 wire and two runs paralleled. The bass seemed "flabby" with only one run. A small bypass cap (small enough to only measure maybe 0.2dB difference) across a crossover's attenuating resistor may change the way something like a finger-cymbal sounds. Crossover cap ESR may (?) be a dominant factor to cap preference. Small tonal shifts seem audible up close. How about cheap copper clad aluminum speaker wire ? is it the same as copper? "better" ? - assuming China is honest enough to use decent aluminum, is there any perceivable difference vs copper cables when the copper clad's cross sectional area is made large enough to give equal resistance per unit length?

are we supposed to observe 10dB difference in audio levels between premium HDMI vs generic HDMI cables? what is that scale supposed to mean?

Last edited by freddi; 4th February 2016 at 09:40 PM.
Old 4th February 2016, 09:49 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks for moving the thread kevinkr. Sorry about the OT in the full range forum. I just wanted my full range brothers and sister (I believe there's one) to see the article.

>>> in the 1980's with a cheap 2-channel Onkyo receiver and cheap 3-way EPI speakers, I could hear the difference between one short run of #16 wire and two runs paralleled. The bass seemed "flabby" with only one run.

Excellent freddi! We can braid our own expensive cables using cheaper cable.

Godzilla
Old 4th February 2016, 11:45 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Wait a minute guys aren't we talking about frequency response anomalies from a digital transmission cable. How this stuff gets past first base is sad testament to the basic grasp of technology of the populace at large.

Hide this!Advertise here!