Engineering a goosebump machine

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The term "goosebumps" yields a lot of search results, so many I possibly overlooked what I am searching for.
I struggled for a long time to get a power amp (dc coupled, stacked supplies) playing properly. Along the way I had one iteration that hummed pretty bad, the clipped in extra power supply was rattling on the floor and I was scared it might all explode every minute. Still it made beautiful music. Putting on a Phyllis Dillon record gave me shivers down my spine and goosebumps all along my arms. When playing John Zorn's Spillane 12" I turned away from the speakers and searched for some stuff under the table. I had the feeling like the guy talking on the record leaned over my shoulder and spoke into my ear.
Later on I got the problem fixed, hum is gone, the amp is dynamic, colourful, detailed, great soundstage and all that crap. But the psychoacoustics and goosebumps are gone.
What is causing these effects? Nonlinearities? Frequency peaks? Distortion? How can that effect be engineered in?

Joined 2011
Look at how you fixed the buzz problem and perhaps try a different approach? Do some dynamic measurements
"broken and exciting" and "sorted out" and see if you can identify any differences?

Yes, I'd try to go back to the "bad" circuit and start from there.

Some years ago, I found out from a listening test after a tube amplifier repair,
that a particular brand and type of 450V electrolytic capacitor that I happened to use
for the repair, sounded far and away superior to others I had been using.
This was the Sprague TVLU series, it was really good compared to others at the time.

Last edited:
That's the grown up way towards knowledge. I was just hoping I could get around ripping it all apart again ;)
And also I am afraid doing so I might measure/understand everything except that one aspect that made the difference. Which might have even been fear of death.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.