World's Best DAC's

Disabled Account
Joined 2015
Dear LH/S

We certainly could all together design a R2R dac at DIYAUDIO with sota supply to solve the lack of dynamic of the oem regs.... but hey I would have the fear to fall on an onanist drawer who would keep the grup job for him alone ;)... some guy are so basic with their ego as you know yourself, punishing a word but doing worst thing themselves ! E.G calling the cops as they are little boys !

Dear Eldam,

I believe that you are 100% correct about this.. the ego become paramount and delusional aspects of the drawers mind find their place in reality, if only based purely in fantasy.. and then we have a problem which all the mushrooms on the forest moon can not solve, because of the nature of the mushroom time loop continuum, giving place to the overly exaggerated sense of self importance and then the sheep who give this hocus-pocus a mystical status.

Believe you are quite ok with your 1541A implementation ;-)

LH/S

I just believe Soekris if he could listened all the good layout advises from members like you Abrax around the power supplies should make a sota cheap discrete R2R ; But he is a vendor and very involved in computer board designs first, certainly hard to find time !

Hi Eldam,
Last week Bernie and I did a listening session with his Pedja Aya II and my Soekris R2R DAC (lowresmod + 16 caps).
Both DACs were sounding very good, difficult to hear a difference between the two.
This was not the case a few months ago with the stock R2R DAC (flat 2D sound),
but now with the latest mods to the vref PS (lowresmod + 16x UCC PSA caps) it's a completely different DAC and sounding as good as the Aya II.

BTW, thanks for the tip for the UCC PSA caps :)
Regards,
Danny

Last edited:
Sounds like fun - count me in to help with that :) Are you going to open a thread for ideas about how to do it?

Yeah I agree Wolfson (I've only tried WM8740) has very impressive bass, but only when the outputs are very lightly loaded. The normal application circuit has something like 2k4 resistors - hopeless. Changing them to 240k brings a huge improvement in bass dynamics.
If I am to judge using my ears, the Wolfsons won me over, hands down.

If I was to judge using my controlled listening tests, well, in that case they are indistinguishable.

Hi Eldam,
Last week Bernie and I did a listening session with his Pedja Aya II and my Soekris R2R DAC (lowresmod + 16 caps).
Both DACs were sounding very good, difficult to hear a difference between the two.
This was not the case a few months ago with the stock R2R DAC (flat 2D sound),
but now with the latest mods to the vref PS (lowresmod + 16x UCC PSA caps) it's a completely different DAC and sounding as good as the Aya II.

BTW, thanks for the tip for the UCC PSA caps :)
Regards,
Danny

You're welcome,

Happy that this good cap found its place and many seem to like it as well ! :)

My AYA 2 2014 is salted & peppered with : Wave I/O Ian Simultaneous mode instead pure I2S, FIFO 2 is on the bench with clock 2 (I followed the advises of the people whom tried before) and Andrea Mori crystals from Laptech and his MCLK to come (have to solder it !)! I posted a tip about less cap Pedja Rogic seemed to like after a little listening. If Bernie want to try he knows where to look for to read it :); swaping the -16V for a FC instead a FM is Something to try :eek: !

@ LH/S : I agree twice :)

Last edited:
AKN, you will not be disappointed, and please inform us about the outcome of your blind test.

I just finished some measurements, using different opamps. @1kHz the THD results are as follows:

NE5532 0.00022% (-113dB)
lm833 0.00076%
OPA2134 0.00036%
LM4562 0.00036%
OPA1612 0.00035%

Measurements where done on a pimped EMU 1616m. Victor's low distortion generator measures .00018 % (-115 dB) on this device. For sound cards, that is probably as good as they come. Yet, all the results are so close to the measuring limit that I would take these measurements as relevant only in the relative sense.

I find it quite remarkable that the NE5532 beats the super-opamps by a wide margin. I reduplicated the measurements any number of times with a plurality of opamps, just to be absolutely sure.

In response to labjr: There doesn't seem to be much margin for improvement. No supply related issues show up whatsoever. Jitter test on ARTA looks clean.

Who wants to belong to the 1% if life at the bottom is this good :cool:

Note: workmanship is quite shitty though.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Vacuphile. Opamp choice is maybe personal taste? I'm wondering what other mods can be done to improve sound? Maybe good linear power supply?

Anyone know which driver it uses? AK4490 is capable of DSD256. Does it do DSD? Is there any filtering for DSD?

AKN

Joined 2005
Paid Member
AKN, you will not be disappointed, and please inform us about the outcome of your blind test.

I just finished some measurements, using different opamps. @1kHz the THD results are as follows:

NE5532 0.00022% (-113dB)
lm833 0.00076%
OPA2134 0.00036%
LM4562 0.00036%
OPA1612 0.00035%

Measurements where done on a pimped EMU 1616m. Victor's low distortion generator measures .00018 % (-115 dB) on this device. For sound cards, that is probably as good as they come. Yet, all the results are so close to the measuring limit that I would take these measurements as relevant only in the relative sense.

I find it quite remarkable that the NE5532 beats the super-opamps by a wide margin. I reduplicated the measurements any number of times with a plurality of opamps, just to be absolutely sure.

In response to labjr: There doesn't seem to be much margin for improvement. No supply related issues show up whatsoever. Jitter test on ARTA looks clean.

Who wants to belong to the 1% if life at the bottom is this good :cool:

Note: workmanship is quite shitty though.

Hi vacuphile,

Thanks for distortion numbers (I know you have 'the right view' on these matters).

So far this is a list of what R2R Ladder Multibit hiend dac manufacturers I could find, some are discrete R2R and some use the still available PCM1704k R2R Multibit chip.
I think I got it right. There maybe even more.
Please post corrections if you find that any of these are using Delta Sigma type dacs

Trinity Dac
Ypsilon Cdt-100
Phasure
MSB Platinum
Total Dac
Audial (Peja Rodgic)
AMR top dac and cdp (Thorsten Loschec)
Emm labs
Exasound
Reimyo
CH precision
EC Designs