Doubtful or false statements from outside diy audio. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th August 2015, 03:46 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Doubtful or false statements from outside diy audio.

On the internet there is, -as you surely know, a lot of false information. The thing is that it is impossible to register to all forums and refute these statements.
In fact, the situation is not that different to the situation that was discribed long ago by J.P. Sartre: you listen to the radio and someone declairs something that you clearly object to. But you dont have any possibility to reach every other listerner, it is a matter of inequality (now, I hope that Im not being too political).

My intention is not to hang out any specific person. Im more interested in how some conceptions evolve and remain.
An example I read today:
"Hmm, I would recommend at least a 400W RMS MOSFET amplifier (I use 600W). MOSFET and Thermionic valve amplifiers sound the same and provide even harmonic distortion. A valve amplifier is heavy and can break more easily (and expensive for 50 year old technology) and sounds the same as a MOSFET, so for a bass guitar, there is no point in looking at valves.

Stay away from bipolar transistor designs, since they tend to clip and give odd harmonic distortion which sounds especially bad on a bass guitar. It is possible to design a bipolar that will clip soft, same as a MOSFET, but you won't know (unless you design it yourself)."
Old 27th August 2015, 04:39 PM   #2
GOR3 is offline GOR3  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Not the Source

The interweb is not the source of misinformation; rather, peoples' minds have been full of misinformation since the time we were able to form ideas. E.g., the earth is flat, beer is bad for you, &c. The interweb just makes it easier for you to be aware of how much misinformation is out there.
Old 27th August 2015, 07:02 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Even in this forum there is plenty of misinformation. It does not mean malicious intent, just lack of knowledge. On the bright side, the web makes it easy for you to check multiple sources before wasting your time and money.

Caveat lector!
Old 28th August 2015, 10:03 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOR3 View Post
The interweb is not the source of misinformation; rather, peoples' minds have been full of misinformation since the time we were able to form ideas. E.g., the earth is flat, beer is bad for you, &c. The interweb just makes it easier for you to be aware of how much misinformation is out there.
You have to admit, the earth is pretty darn flat....
Old 29th August 2015, 12:07 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The golden mean View Post
An example I read today:
"Hmm, I would recommend at least a 400W RMS MOSFET amplifier (I use 600W). MOSFET and Thermionic valve amplifiers sound the same and provide even harmonic distortion. A valve amplifier is heavy and can break more easily (and expensive for 50 year old technology) and sounds the same as a MOSFET, so for a bass guitar, there is no point in looking at valves.

Stay away from bipolar transistor designs, since they tend to clip and give odd harmonic distortion which sounds especially bad on a bass guitar. It is possible to design a bipolar that will clip soft, same as a MOSFET, but you won't know (unless you design it yourself)."
This strikes me as not a bad overview of the position WRT BASS GUITAR amplifiers for an absolute beginner. It's pretty much nonsense for hi-fi. A lot of misinformation can arise due to taking things out of context.
Old 29th August 2015, 12:12 AM   #6
jcdrisc is offline jcdrisc  Australia
diyAudio Member

The diyaudio has fanatics who love to build. It is a facet of the human condition that the system I have painstakingly built ALWAYS sounds better than anyone else's. Many subjectivists have not bothered to invest in or build measuring equipment so can only rely on their own brand of boosterist subjective language. The diy forums are pretty sharply divided between these two ideologies. Hi Fi salesmanship and the audio popular press relies on subjectivism and so ultimately you must gather your friends and have an unemotional discussion of the sound of your creations !!!
Old 29th August 2015, 12:18 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andersonix View Post
You have to admit, the earth is pretty darn flat....
Not where I live.
Old 29th August 2015, 12:31 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

did you fall off the edge at the end of the flat part?
Old 29th August 2015, 01:32 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

OK, maybe I don't get around as much as some, but the earth is about the flattest object I've ever seen.
Old 31st August 2015, 07:16 PM   #10
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

you're kidding, right?

Hide this!Advertise here!