Old Slogans You Remember

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Account Closed
Joined 2018
The most trusted name in electronics (or television, or sound, depending on the ad) - (RCA Victor)

Music soars when you hear it on a Fisher (ever notice the logo of the bird with the music note in its mouth on a Fisher?)

Attachments

• Fisher_Electronics_Logo.jpg
    Fisher_Electronics_Logo.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 97
"Hæng Dem ikke i bagateller. Hæng Dem i Randers Reb" is one that sticks out from my childhood, though it's likely much older than I am.

Randers Reb is a manufacturer of rope. The slogan translates roughly as: "Don't hang yourself in petty details. Hang yourself in Randers Reb".

The manufacturer is still around: Randers Reb | Ropes for Maritime Marine Seine net fishing Trawl fishing. Of course in 1840 when the company started, there was no social media outcry over the slogan... :)

Tom

"You can be SURE.......... if it's Westinghouse!"

Not after the light bulb division got bought out by Philips. Anyone remember those “Westinghouse bulbs by Philips” that suddenly became seriously not worth a ****?

Soon after there was “Celebrate the return to Standard Time by stocking up on Philips 33% longer life light bulbs for those long dark nights ahead”. And “It’s time to change your bulb... to Philips” (so you can keep changing it and keep changing it.....)

Account Closed
Joined 2018
Not after the light bulb division got bought out by Philips. Anyone remember those “Westinghouse bulbs by Philips” that suddenly became seriously not worth a ****?

Soon after there was “Celebrate the return to Standard Time by stocking up on Philips 33% longer life light bulbs for those long dark nights ahead”. And “It’s time to change your bulb... to Philips” (so you can keep changing it and keep changing it.....)

It's such a shame that once respectable companies have gone down the tubes in quality these days.
Westinghouse, RCA Victor, Philco, Zenith, Emerson, Admiral, GE, ....... the list is endless.
Bought out by some "big" company for "the name recognition" and now churning out SLOP.
That's right, I said SLOP.
When those companies were proud, responsible, and actually lived UP to their slogans, the world was so much nicer.

However, I actually like the Philips brand LED lighting, I've had good luck with all of the bulbs I've bought.
One bulb, a 10 watt (equivilant) LED (actually uses 2 watts) has been on in my house continuously for the last 8 years as a nightlight, and stll going strong.
My garden walkway lighting uses those low-voltage wedge-base Philips LED bulbs and have been troublefree for about 5 years now - on every evening till 2AM.

I have good experience of Phillip's LED bulbs, and even most budget ones - but Ever Ready? Avoid!!!! I've had 3 GU10 go strobe after 6 months.

As for US giants, I dont think I've seen a single item made by any of them, less than 50 years old, over here in the UK.

Except Emerson, who make UPS systems.
And GE who are, I think, trying to sell their lighting division as part of a wider divestiture effort (our site, and others, have faced possible closure for 2 years)

Last edited:
In a similar vein, I remember the 30 second cartoons to sell cereal. Tony the tiger for Frosted Flakes (Their Great), The Leprechaun for Lucky Charms (Magically Delicious), Rabbit for Trix (Silly rabit, Trix are for kids), bird for Cocoa Puffs (Coo-Coo for Cocoa Puffs), etc. Each had a slogan.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.