How to set a price when selling a no longer needed diy project?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

rif

Joined 2003
Paid Member
You know, when its time to move on to another project and you need some funds? And you realize that you don't need that many preamps.

I assume your asking price should be a percentage of the parts cost, probably less than 100%.

If it's a complete working version of a popular, desirable project, post it for the full price of all the parts. It should go pretty fast. A lot people want the high value of DIY gear, but think they can't actually do it themselves, so they will buy a nice version of a popular project with positive reviews.

Parts typically fetch 50-75% of new price. Half finished projects are tough to dump unless it's a very popular project.

When I sell on ebay I start at a high-ish price then lower it slightly every time it doesn't sell. It will sell eventually.

Beware though what ever price it sells at if the buyer finds a problem with it you will likely get it back !

I recently sold some amplifier modules. For some reason I put up a picture of a different version.
Some sold OK but one buyer took exception to having model 1 instead of model 2.
Its been ongoing for a week now and I can see me having to take them back.

Last edited:
I agree with Ron. Why value your work at 0? I have spent hours selecting, measuring, and matching parts for a project, and I do that because I believe it adds real value to the finished project. Most manufacturers cannot spend the time and (obsessive?) attention that we DIYers do. I think most of the projects that I have built are better than commercial product that cost a lot more than what I spent on parts, and I would price what I have built like a used unit of a high quality commercial product.

Ironically I used to decide to build something because I thought I could build something acceptable for less than buying a new commercial equivalent, but I have come to understand that every thing I have built cost me considerably more than I expected to pay for the parts, and all of them or much better that what I expected to build. As an example, I have a nice MM phono stage that I built which cost me about $200 in parts (including enclosures and an overbuilt power supply), and I would never consider selling it for less than $400, because I would challenge anyone to find a better phono stage for even twice that price!

It doesn't matter these are sunk costs.

Get what ever you can for it. Just know that the costs are already sunk.
That is they are already paid and in theory should have no bearing on
what it will sell for. It will sell what someone is willing to pay for it.

People without any business back ground will take exception to this.

Just go look at ebay and look for something 1/2 is crap and
2 - 4 or more times listed at buy it now for what it's is worth.

Stuff will stay there for a long time.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.