The Audio Critic Has Retired - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Yesterday, 03:11 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default The Audio Critic Has Retired

THIS IS GOODBYE!

Having reached the 90th year of my life, after several years of very little productivity, I have decided to stop altogether. My website has been discontinued; there will be no more content added to it. That does not mean that what has been published and available up to now will be lost. Everything on the website has been transferred to Welcome to biline.ca News and Updates!, the technology site of Jeff Mathurin. Nothing is missing, thanks to the supportive efforts of Jeff. You can still go to every former section of The Audio Critic by using the menu on the left. It is not without considerable regret that I am making this move, but the time inevitably comes when you have to call it quits. Goodbye, friends and antagonists; it has been a great 38 years!

—Peter Aczel
Editor & Publisher
Midsummer, 2015

Link to archive:
The Audio Critic
Old Yesterday, 03:27 PM   #2
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I'm sure his fans will miss him, I'm impressed that he was able to continue for as long as he did.

I have a lot of respect for a fellow who sticks to his convictions even if ultimately I agreed with very little he wrote. I subscribed for a year or so to the magazine more decades ago than I care to admit.. I found his writing style pretty abrasive actually.

As a contrast I have subscribed to Audio Amateur and its descendants continuously for over 3 decades. Realizing that I hardly ever looked at them after a certain point I gave all of my AA away along with Glass Audio and the small collection of SB that I had amassed a couple of years ago.
Old Yesterday, 03:33 PM   #3
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

His writing was indeed quite abrasive and his gratuitous mentions of his competitors was unseemly. But... he got the technology right, had some incredibly smart people write articles for him, and the magazine was a great resource for those who took a rational approach to audio. His deep knowledge and love of music elevated him above most other audio writers.

He deserved more recognition than he got.
Old Yesterday, 03:46 PM   #4
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Probably true, but I have to admit I like reading the prose written by those with something of a narrative to relate, it's just more entertaining which is frankly what I am looking for. The ignorance of science and scientific method does bother me I'll admit. It's my get away from reality hobby, even if my expectations are grounded somewhat in technical rigor. (My particular technology choices may not be, but how I approach the design definitely is.)
Old Yesterday, 03:55 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Farewell and good luck to anyone that can keep a business in place for 38 years. You've earned your rest.
Old Yesterday, 09:47 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I figured Peter was mellowing when he discontinued the Hip Boots column, which I enjoyed, but then I wondered if it wasn't because of possible law suites, à la Amar Bose. Yea, his writing style was somewhat rough but I kind of liked that. Maybe that's why I like Donald Trumph. I respected that he had the "cojones" the say what he believed even if half the time I didn't agree with his ears. I have a good stack of original hard copies of his very intermittent publications plus some downloaded copies. Retire in good health Pete!
"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when it's components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers. That is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." ~Stephen Hawking
Old Yesterday, 10:09 PM   #7
AVWERK is offline AVWERK  United States
diyAudio Member

Great writing style and reviews. Staunchly accurate within himself and clear in what he conveyed to his audience.
Can't say I agreed with everything he tested but as a reviewer, but you did learn a thing or two from him compared to the rest that blurs together.

Regards
David
Old Today, 04:54 AM   #8
mlloyd1 is offline mlloyd1  United States
diyAudio Member

True dat ...

Whatever happened to Dr Rich (and Angelo Mastrocola)? I always enjoyed reading his design reviews/comments and test results.

mlloyd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
... But... he got the technology right, had some incredibly smart people write articles for him ....

Hide this!Advertise here!