Digital Music Outsells CDs (!!!) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd June 2015, 06:08 PM   #1
benb is offline benb  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Digital Music Outsells CDs (!!!)

Yes, folks, that's the exact title of the article, and many similar articles on the story use the same terminology:

Digital Music Outsells CDs | Peter Getty Music Blog

What amuses me is how the CD isn't "digital" anymore - it sure was digital 30 years ago when it came out!

I've made a hobby of noticing the changing definitions of words. Somewhere in the last decade or two the music industry decided that digital only means "a music file downloaded from the Internet," and thus that CDs are no longer digital.
Old 2nd June 2015, 07:30 PM   #2
Ardahan is offline Ardahan  Turkey
diyAudio Member

Would it be in future like; DSD/uncompressed/flac meant for analog or maybe for true digital... Real Digital Files -rdf, Even buying a music has changed in definition (Can't copy at your will etc.)
Old 2nd June 2015, 07:39 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to JonSnell Electronic
Maybe Peter Getty should get out more!
Old 2nd June 2015, 07:43 PM   #4
sonidos is offline sonidos  United States
Libertador de la Música
diyAudio Member

Now the sales guy at Best Buy can fling a SSD across the room (ala the CD era) and shout 'Perfect digital music FOREVER!!!!'
Old 3rd June 2015, 05:25 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

The "audiophool" banter has already started for FLAC -Different compression levels for FLAC | Naim Audio Forums

Most of these fools just subjectively say they don't like a compressed FLAC.

FLAC is FLAC , uncompress a compressed one - same bitperfect FLAC.
Like saying a winzip file won't be the same unzipped.

But their minds think of a MP3 , which "psychoacoustically" omits actual
audio information , so anything with the word "compress" is automatically
denigrated.

OS
Old 3rd June 2015, 05:33 PM   #6
sonidos is offline sonidos  United States
Libertador de la Música
diyAudio Member

not.....surprised...
Old 4th June 2015, 12:53 AM   #7
benb is offline benb  United States
diyAudio Member

Next problem, trying to explain the difference between lossless/lossy data compression and signal level dynamics compression...

"Nah, I'd rather listen to the download instead of a CD because the download is DIGITAL!!11!"
Old 7th June 2015, 05:35 PM   #8
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Digital has also come to mean smart phones, computers and the like. I hear it in business meetings all the time. "Digital Devices" or "Digital Assets".
Old 9th June 2015, 01:40 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Because nobody cares about Sound Quality anymore, it's a SHAME!

Several groups of ignorance/subjects are to blame for this: Computer geeks, Technical illiterates, Push for miniaturization, combined with oblivious people that just don't care about Sound Quality, which these groups merge over each other.

1. I blame the computer geek morons that in the quest to save Megabytes (why save megabytes when hard-drives are SO BIG anyway, and always get bigger) rip MP3's at low quality with garbage like auto-volume leveling, VBR, and the morons that DEFAULT design the programs to rip CD's at the lowest quality, (Windows Media Player, etc) and of course nobody actually goes in the options and changes it to 320kbps anyway, and leaves it set to 96 or 128kbps default. Then they upload the garbage to the internet and gets downloaded thousands of times. Even worse when scratched CD rips make it on the internet!

2. Blame the hordes of technically illiterate morons who are too ignorant to care what the quality of their music sounds like. They would rather download a low-bitrate version of their song, instead of getting the CD at full quality. I saw this happening back in 98-2000 in my high school years, when morons didn't care how distorted the music was, "THATS MAH SOWNG ON DA RADIO!!!!1" It is sad that most people don't care how it sounds, as long as it is loud, and if you try to help & mention that it's playing at very low quality, they get MAD AT YOU because of some silly emotional attachment to their song, instead of trying to re-download/rip at higher quality.

3. Low quality digital garbage released into the market/miniaturization. Push to have everything smaller or "modern", Crappy MP3 players, garbage onboard soundcards, Most teenagers/20's don't even know what good SQ is anymore, and believe it or not, some boomers don't even care. Most people don't even realize the significant difference tweeters make, because they listen to everything on small speakers, and cheap headphones (earbuds), and listen to mostly MP3 that doesn't even allow you to fully hear the capability of your speakers.

There will only be a few of us that want full quality sound. Few of us know what it is like to have a nice home stereo system with 100W/ch and nice speakers and a good sound source. Some peoples entire life view of music was developed on their portable Music Player/Smartphone and Headphones or their computer and computer speakers. When I was young, it was always the goal to GET AWAY from the portable music and hook up a nice amp and speakers!

Last edited by EWorkshop1708; 9th June 2015 at 01:49 PM. Reason: spelling, repeat letters
Old 9th June 2015, 06:52 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

The most popular torrent DL's are "XXartist @ 320Kbs" (or FLAC). So it seems the morally deficient "morons" DO care.

OS

Hide this!Advertise here!