Music heals the brain - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th March 2015, 10:55 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Music heals the brain

Just read an article in 'Scientific American Mind, March/April 2015' about the benefits of Music to the healing of certain brain disorders. Though the study did 'not' specify musical genre, it pointed out the benefits of rhythm, timing, intonation and melody as stimuli for brain.

"Music is perhaps unrivaled by any other form of human experience in the range of its defining characteristics, from its melody and rhythm to its emotional and social nature." By William Forde Thompson and Gottfried Schlaug

The article continues to point out how autistic, Parkinson, dementia and stroke patients were more aware, cognitive and in some cases surprisingly responsive!
We all know what music does for diyAudio members, but I wonder just how many of our children have been spared the hardships of one or more of the disorders as a result of our enjoyment and dedication to better our musical experience?

Last edited by kingfisher; 25th March 2015 at 10:57 PM. Reason: left out info credits
Old 26th March 2015, 01:14 AM   #2
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I think there's something in it. Music lights up parts of the brain. It puts a smile on your face. It relaxes you. And the brain can grow new neurons under the right conditions. Lean diet being one of them.

I like jazz these days. I also found this interview with Melody Gardot interesting. I first heard her sing "Our love is easy" and it just hypnotised me.

She has mostly recovered from a significant brain injury after being knocked off her bicycle. I think she said her doctor felt that music reconnects the two halves of the brain, where her injury was: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52yxuJKS4JY
Old 26th March 2015, 01:26 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Musicophilia - Tales of Music and the Brain. Oliver Sacks. He also wrote the book: Awakening starring Robert De Niro and Robin Williams. Mr. Sacks is a neurologist who studies
people with brain injuries. If anyone has any interest with music and how it affects the brain must read this book.
I was deeply moved by some of the stories in this book.

PeterC
Old 26th March 2015, 01:45 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Melody Gardot: great voice! I see your point, she can hold a note like flowers hold the morning dew! Thanks system7, got a new artist to add to collection of greats.....
Old 27th March 2015, 04:48 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

You have to hear Indian classical 'Raag Kalavati'. It is known to be relaxing. Choose your preferred instrument or the vocalist.

Gajanan Phadte
Old 27th March 2015, 07:29 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I started to read the book "spirit of utopia" by ernst bloch
but it's too much !
The central chapter about music is indeed interesting
Old 27th March 2015, 10:00 AM   #7
Cassiel is offline Cassiel  Libya
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by system7 View Post
I like jazz these days. I also found this interview with Melody Gardot interesting. I first heard her sing "Our love is easy" and it just hypnotised me.
I love that song.
Old 29th April 2015, 11:51 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Music is food for the soul, without it the soul withers, well in my case anyway. Some may get similar nourishment from other art forms, poetry, paintings,etc.
Old 30th April 2015, 12:21 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the link System7, thats another few albums i have to add to my collection. More soul food
Old 30th April 2015, 01:32 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

One could view music as the only true form of art.

All the other ones like sculpture and painting grew out of millennia of trying to copy reality in a more permanent medium but for music there was no pre-existing reality, it is pure art(ificial).
As such I am not surprised that it may influence us in ways other art forms cannot.

Hide this!Advertise here!