Dress Color Craze, Applicable to Measurements vs Subjective Debate? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Yesterday, 10:16 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Dress Color Craze, Applicable to Measurements vs Subjective Debate?

There's some heated discussion in this Objective Fullrange Driver Comparison thread, same old "sounds good" versus "measures good" arguments.

Outside of the diyAudio community, there's this big dress color debate/meme/buzz thing going on.

I think there may be some parallels here. You can "measure" the colors on the dress, e.g. RGB values as the Wired article did. And someone familiar with RGB values ought to be able to predict what the dress's colors would look like. But instead you have different people seeing different things.

Perhaps if the dress was viewed under the visual equivalent of an anechoic chamber, everyone might see it the same?

It appears to me that the brain has some additional "processing circuitry" for vision, something that known measurements can't predict. If that is indeed true, it's not a stretch to think the same applies to sound processing in the brain.
Old Yesterday, 10:31 PM   #2
BigE is offline BigE  Canada
diyAudio Member

The "additional processing" that the brain does for sound is to ignore the reflected sound, to focus on the direct sound.

Take two people, one that can easily ignore reflected sound, and someone that can't.

It is not surprising that the same stereo could sound different to either of them.
Old Yesterday, 10:51 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

We are all different and we each perceive things in our own unique way. Does that dress still look pretty when worn by a man? not to me it don't but it might to some out there

Consensus on anything is rare, if it happens at all, it's usually because we have been won over by a convincing enough argument.
Old Yesterday, 11:50 PM   #4
infinia is offline infinia  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes sound and light have many similarities

white reflects the 'local color' off screen (to me obviously)
color as light is an additive process.

direct sound + room reflected sound is also additive at our ears.
Old Today, 10:49 AM   #5
DF96 is online now DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_garman
same old "sounds good" versus "measures good" arguments.
You need to be careful that you are not conflating two different issues. "What colour is this dress" is a question about human perception of colour; from there we could go on to determine what physical characteristics cause most people to see 'blue'. "Are these two dresses the same colour" is another useful question, assuming the test is done with eyes alone. We should be suspicious of people who claim to be able to distinguish between two different shades of blue, but then lose this ability when they are prevented from reading the label.

"Do you like this dress" is a question about personal taste, as are many "sounds good" issues in audio.
Old Today, 11:31 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_garman View Post
There's some heated discussion in this Objective Fullrange Driver Comparison thread, same old "sounds good" versus "measures good" arguments.

Outside of the diyAudio community, there's this big dress color debate/meme/buzz thing going on.

I think there may be some parallels here. You can "measure" the colors on the dress, e.g. RGB values as the Wired article did. And someone familiar with RGB values ought to be able to predict what the dress's colors would look like. But instead you have different people seeing different things.

Perhaps if the dress was viewed under the visual equivalent of an anechoic chamber, everyone might see it the same?

It appears to me that the brain has some additional "processing circuitry" for vision, something that known measurements can't predict. If that is indeed true, it's not a stretch to think the same applies to sound processing in the brain.
Agreed and very likely - exactly why so many folk judge what they like hearing as correct, when the brain is merely misinforming them. And the dress was clearly white and orange lmao

I.e. The brain is very good at justifying misconception, hallucinations and holographic auditory hifi experiences, far more adept at doing so than any loudspeaker.

Last edited by mondogenerator; Today at 11:34 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!