Tektronix Model 31 scientific calculator. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd February 2015, 09:43 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Location: Sitting behind the 'puter screen, in Illinois, USA, planet earth
Default Tektronix Model 31 scientific calculator.

Hi
I am preparing to move soon and one thing I have to deal with is a storage cube where I have put things over the years. A long time ago but still in our galaxy, I put a Tektronix model 31 scientific calculator and tape cartridges, a Tektronix X Y plotter driven by the calculator, cables, ink pens, thermal paper and all the manuals in storage there.

When it was available it was one of those “too cool to pass up” things and I spent a good bit even then,even so for something I only played with a few times before putting it away.

My thought was someday when I have to scale back, I would sell it .

Well, that time has finally come to scale back to move, the question is, do any of you have an idea what would be the best thing to do with it?

It is a piece of history (it is still partly analogue i think) but while my mother has passed, I really can hear her words in my head “Thomas, you have an excuse to keep every darn thing” and now the meaning of her words was never clearer (moving).
Any ideas?
Best,
Tom
Here is what they look like, takes a special shirt pocket though

http://classiccmp.org/dunfield/calc/h/tekm31.jpg
Old 23rd February 2015, 03:04 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Danley View Post
Hi
I am preparing to move soon and one thing I have to deal with is a storage cube where I have put things over the years. A long time ago but still in our galaxy, I put a Tektronix model 31 scientific calculator and tape cartridges, a Tektronix X Y plotter driven by the calculator, cables, ink pens, thermal paper and all the manuals in storage there.

When it was available it was one of those “too cool to pass up” things and I spent a good bit even then,even so for something I only played with a few times before putting it away.

My thought was someday when I have to scale back, I would sell it .

Well, that time has finally come to scale back to move, the question is, do any of you have an idea what would be the best thing to do with it?

It is a piece of history (it is still partly analogue i think) but while my mother has passed, I really can hear her words in my head “Thomas, you have an excuse to keep every darn thing” and now the meaning of her words was never clearer (moving).
Any ideas?
Best,
Tom
Here is what they look like, takes a special shirt pocket though

http://classiccmp.org/dunfield/calc/h/tekm31.jpg
You might ask the MIT or San Jose Tech museums if they want a donation.
Old 23rd February 2015, 03:49 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

That's really cool, i like the museum donation idea, failing that stick it on eBay as there will be some calculator collector out there who would love to own one.

Tektronix Model 31 Electronic Calculator
Old 24th February 2015, 01:02 PM   #4
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

Interesting bit of history on that Tek - looks like it could do a lot of things and connect to their test equipment on some sort of data link arrangement.
Tektronix Model 31 Electronic Calculator

I remember my brother bought a TI-30 not long after they first came out, maybe '78.
I bought a TI-35 in ~1982

Last edited by Ron E; 24th February 2015 at 01:09 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!