So does this bitrate/format stuff matter. If it does, then can you tell ?

Which are the direct WAV file

• I think A is the WAV

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • I think B is the WAV

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • I think X is the WAV

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • I think Y is the WAV

Votes: 14 66.7%
  • In all honesty, I can't really decide.

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Part of the story is that when the signal has more "information" in it then a less than stellar playback device will generate more distortion sludge trying to reproduce it - my rather poor laptop setup projected more ambience with the compressed versions - I didn't have to "fight" as much muck to hear what was going on ...

I'm surprised that nobody has brought up the 'nice to listen to' vs 'accurate reproduction' debate in response to this.

Clearly, we aren't comparing re-production systems, so accuracy of reproduction isn't compared in that way, but we are seeing that people prefer a little less dynamics and treble... could be why those $XXXX audiophile devices that turn out to be tiny inductors before the speaker were so popular ....

I can make a few files with different bitrates and people can discuss/vote on where the sound becomes to distorted.
Anyone up for a "test" like that?

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Mooly,

I congratulate you on posting this exercise and I very much enjoyed the discussion.

If further tests/polls are on the horizon, I would suggest replacing MP3 compression with ogg/vorbis.

If that's not appealing, then at least use MP3 with VBR, as it was intended to be used.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Thanks cogitech :) These threads are always fun even when things don't always go to plan. The big shame in all these listening tests is that the majority of those who are most vocal in decrying compressed over non compressed or 24 vs 16 bit etc never seem to take part... funny that. And yet if only they would, then their input could be the most valuable of all.

Such is life though ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.