A Solid State and a Tube amplifier playing the same music video

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
bogdan_borko said:
And you think that is impossible that used Krell amp is "spectacularly bad"??
Did I say that? However, I don't discount the possibility that a popular or positively-reviewed or expensive amp may be really bad. Being bad at reproducing sound is an advantage in some markets. My point is that comparing via youtube is a spectacularly bad way to compare amps. It is a bit like comparing two athletes while they both have a broken leg; does it matter which is faster under those conditions?

The point being missed is that the Krell is introducing distortion into the sound which is clearly evident in the YouTube playback - the why for that amp is complex, not easily resolved; but the signature of that distortion type is so common that once one learns to listen for it then you can hear it all the time on systems. Nothing to do with "bad", just typical hifi system misbehaviour ...

Did I say that? However, I don't discount the possibility that a popular or positively-reviewed or expensive amp may be really bad. Being bad at reproducing sound is an advantage in some markets. My point is that comparing via youtube is a spectacularly bad way to compare amps. It is a bit like comparing two athletes while they both have a broken leg; does it matter which is faster under those conditions?

I know what you are saying youtube is not an amp comaring tool but I`ve said that I can hear the evident difference even on youtube and recorded with crappy camera mic... No need to argue, I think we understood each other ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.