Magnetic lines of force

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Can someone please explain what the actual substance of a magnetic line of force consists of? I can get my head around electrical potential, but what is flowing in a magnetic field? Or is it a static electron field suspended in space? I can't find any text on this. Thanks in advance.

Its like gravity. It would be the line of travel a monopole would take if one were to exist in reality. So the line will be the path a S mono pole will take if you kept it on that location.
It cant be seen, but its felt by things with a charge.
Cool.
Srinath.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
But 'what' 'is' 'it'? Is it 'particular'? If magnified adequately, would it be seen? Lots of text that talks 'about' it, but none declares what it is in tangible terms. I get that the theory behind it is that electron 'spin' within the material is what produces it. But what does the actual force itself consist of? It has to be 'something'. It apparently is in motion.

Last edited:
But 'what' 'is' 'it'?

Its very very important. It stops our atmosphere from being bombarded by solar rays and the oxygen molecules being stripped away from the earth.

It also creates those nice whip-like shaped solar flares that come out of the sun. They create a channel if you will for the plasma to go from one point on the sun to the other.

Need I mention again that these forces are really really important.

Can someone please explain what the actual substance of a magnetic line of force consists of?

It's not substance, it's a field, in the same sense that a test charge can have an electrical force on it in the vicinity of other charges. It is the necessary consequence (due to relativity) of electrical charge flowing or spinning- when you plug relativity into the force equations from electrical fields, a cross-term comes flopping out, and in an amazingly beautiful result, that cross term corresponds to the magnetic field.

This is covered in most E&M textbooks.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
It's not substance, it's a field, in the same sense that a test charge can have an electrical force on it in the vicinity of other charges. It is the necessary consequence (due to relativity) of electrical charge flowing or spinning- when you plug relativity into the force equations from electrical fields, a cross-term comes flopping out, and in an amazingly beautiful result, that cross term corresponds to the magnetic field.

Oh. Thank you. Let the force be with you.

Joined 2009
Paid Member

But how can there be force exerted with no contact by another body? If it has a name, ie: magnetic flux, then it must have tangible properties. Otherwise, isn't it just a matter of identifying an unknown? As in 'field', or 'force' etc.? There is no clear answer to be found anywhere. It seems that science has yet to discover very basic fundamental behaviors of matter. Either that or it just isn't conducive to a present day socioeconomic model and efforts/funds are being directed accordingly.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
But how can there be force exerted with no contact by another body? If it has a name, ie: magnetic flux, then it must have tangible properties. Otherwise, isn't it just a matter of identifying an unknown? As in 'field', or 'force' etc.? There is no clear answer to be found anywhere. It seems that science has yet to discover very basic fundamental behaviors of matter. Either that or it just isn't conducive to a present day socioeconomic model and efforts/funds are being directed accordingly.

The answer has been found..if you look hard enough.
The word seems to be photons. Linked to electron spin.
The problem is when "they" use the word virtual photon..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwMSaCrcAmM

However the LHC wasn't running then...and now we have..

The question you seem to be asking is what is it that has substance that I can feel pushing or pulling..or how can a lump of magnet generate a force..(with no moving parts)<<not true but interesting..
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=feymnan+lectures

Perhaps its interesting to think of the universe as one thing not many things..everything interacts because its all part of the whole.
If you think magnets are strange look up spooky action at a distance..:D

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Discopete said:
But how can there be force exerted with no contact by another body?
If you need to think in terms of mechanical analogies (or, even worse, mechanical realities) then you will always find electromagnetism baffling.

If it has a name, ie: magnetic flux, then it must have tangible properties.
That depends on what you mean by "tangible". A field has momentum, energy and angular momentum. Most physicists would regard these as tangible properties.

There is no clear answer to be found anywhere.
There can never be a "clear answer" for people who want to explain fundamental things in terms of more fundamental things. If something is fundamental then there can be no simpler explanation: it just is what it is. We can describe it, but not explain it in terms of simpler concepts. If we could explain it then it would not be fundamental.

There is a sense in which magnetism is not entirely fundamental, as it is the result of a Lorentz transformation on an electric field. On the other hand, you can regard the magnetic field as being merely one aspect of an electromagnetic field and then it is fundamental. Or you can regard a magnetic field as merely a computation device for calculating the effect on test charges etc. - with the real field being the combination of the vector and scalar potentials. Advanced physics suggests the latter may be the correct view, even though most physicists and almost all engineers are taught the opposite as undergraduates.

It seems that science has yet to discover very basic fundamental behaviors of matter.
Why bring in matter? We were talking about fields, because you asked about fields. If you want to talk about matter then tell me this: what is an electron? What is it made of? How is it constructed? (Hint: the electron appears to be a fundamental particle)

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
If you need to think in terms of mechanical analogies (or, even worse, mechanical realities) then you will always find electromagnetism baffling.

That depends on what you mean by "tangible". A field has momentum, energy and angular momentum. Most physicists would regard these as tangible properties.

There can never be a "clear answer" for people who want to explain fundamental things in terms of more fundamental things. If something is fundamental then there can be no simpler explanation: it just is what it is. We can describe it, but not explain it in terms of simpler concepts. If we could explain it then it would not be fundamental.

There is a sense in which magnetism is not entirely fundamental, as it is the result of a Lorentz transformation on an electric field. On the other hand, you can regard the magnetic field as being merely one aspect of an electromagnetic field and then it is fundamental. Or you can regard a magnetic field as merely a computation device for calculating the effect on test charges etc. - with the real field being the combination of the vector and scalar potentials. Advanced physics suggests the latter may be the correct view, even though most physicists and almost all engineers are taught the opposite as undergraduates.

Why bring in matter? We were talking about fields, because you asked about fields. If you want to talk about matter then tell me this: what is an electron? What is it made of? How is it constructed? (Hint: the electron appears to be a fundamental particle)

If an electron is a fundamental 'particle', then having accumulated enough of them all in one place, you should be able to see/touch the lump. Opposite to electrons, protons are positive charges. What would you see if you stripped a piece of matter of all of it's electrons? If I could reduce my size to that of a hydrogen atom, what would I see?

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
I'm not understanding the dilemma. If the decaying particle always leaves a residual + and - particle, then it's just a matter of identification, no? What's the spooky part?

You can control spin..
In theory any two particles entangled will react at a distance
(just for fun if everything came from a singularity "big bang" is it all entangled?)

In theory it happens at any distance billions of miles apart instantly..change one the other reacts..

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.