Magnetic lines of force

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
There is also talk,

About being able to create matter from light..now that sounds nuts..but not if you think everything is just energy..ie you are not trying to make something from nothing..but then again can you create light from nothing..or what is energy..

Anyway...I guess its for others to discover..:D

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Not much energy in a Photon - it would take a lot of them to create a reasonable amount of mass.

Which begs the question (i.e. wonderment on my part) how is it that a photon, something with so little energy, can traverse half way across the universe (billions of light years) so that we can detect it with a telescope?

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Not much energy in a Photon - it would take a lot of them to create a reasonable amount of mass.

Which begs the question (i.e. wonderment on my part) how is it that a photon, something with so little energy, can traverse half way across the universe (billions of light years) so that we can detect it with a telescope?

Yes I looked for the date being 1st April but it isnt..:confused:
Scientists create never-before-seen form of matter

Then there is this:
http://www.universetoday.com/112044/physicists-pave-the-way-to-turn-light-into-matter/

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Can someone please explain what the actual substance of a magnetic line of force consists of? I can get my head around electrical potential, but what is flowing in a magnetic field? Or is it a static electron field suspended in space? I can't find any text on this. Thanks in advance.
You can always rely on M G Scroggie for a good discussion of basic concepts. See 'Flux Cutting or Flux Linking' on page 74:
http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Wireless-World/50s/Wireless-World-1955-02.pdf

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
If photons appear to be the building blocks of matter, then does it not stand to reason that there may have been the Big Collapse first? Why is a magnetic/atomic attraction/repulsion referred to as a 'virtual' photon?

Possible ways to visualise it..

Always keep in mind the particle duality..is it a particle or a wave..
The old double slit experiment again..:confused:
Just for fun possibly compare the lines of force with dropping the magnet in a still pool of water..then freeze it :D

Photon>>building block..its a bit of a problem..the next question would be what’s in a photon..:D..if its energy you are possibly back to string theory everything is energy..so what’s energy made of..and what energy is required to create infinity..nothing is nothing..Energy means>> mass a photon has no mass well so they say..if you add energy you add mass..

(The problem with "C" the speed of light..Only my thoughts you can only add so much energy or then you get infinite mass..the problem with faster than light)

Its a big problem..string theory/and M theory talk about dimensions (but not in space) if you see what I mean..

Its only my way of accepting dimensions by looking at the Feynman diagrams to accept you can have "things" very close that cannot touch..dimentions right next to each other that never meet well that’s how I visualise it..:D In M theory 11 dimensions.

As soon as you think there is a start to something it assumes there should be an end due to entropy..

Then you are back to the something from nothing that happened nowhere..:confused:

If you take that like the notes on a guitar you could only play them so many different ways and then they would repeat..now here is the rub..there are only so many particles and ways to arrange them then they repeat..so if space was infinite then how many exact copies of the earth in the same solar system are there? You see the problem..

Then add to that spooky action at a distance..how much of the universe is entangled (If it all came from a singularity the big bang).."Assumption" How much of what happens here is from somewhere else..in the universe or is the universe entangled with other "things"(A possible multi-verse).. It makes things look a bit strange only my thoughts..

Could it be possible that anything that can interact could be entangled..ie is everything part of everything else?(including the dimensions of string/M theory..if they are held apart (by some kind of repulsion)

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Bonsai said:
Photons come at all energies. Some have enough energy to create an electron-positron pair - this is routine at places like CERN and Fermilab and in the upper atmosphere when a cosmic ray shower occurs. This is creating matter from light, as M Gregg requested - no need to "discover" it as it is routine physics and has been for many decades.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.