Is single ended worth it? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th December 2014, 05:45 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Is single ended worth it?

Is single ended really worth it?

I'm getting ready to jump in that pool by building an 8-10 WPC single ended KT-88 integrated tube amp and still flummoxed at the idea of spending some not inconsiderable cash on Input transformers, output transformers, chokes, etc etc to get some unadulterated flea power.

Just tell me yes, so I won't think I'm chasing windmills. I've been a solid state guy for 30 years and a tube guy for 3 years so this is a big shift.

-Don Quixote

“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Old 13th December 2014, 06:14 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Personally I think not since I think a top flight PP amp designed with the same care and attention (and money) lavished on most SE amps will generally better any SE amp.

But thats just me.

Shoog
Old 13th December 2014, 06:17 PM   #3
Magz is offline Magz  United States
diyAudio Member

I love, love, love my 833C SET. The sound it produces from my relatively inefficient speakers is intoxicating to me. Clean, clear, warm, dimensional, transparent, I'm running out of adjectives...Does it measure perfectly? No, but the sound is what counts for me.

It sounds better to me than anything else I've heard. YMMV, of course. The system as whole and how it works together is what makes or breaks it, IMO.
Old 13th December 2014, 06:26 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

You could try and have it both ways. Do a KT-88 P-P class A amp and configure one side as triode or UL, and the other side as pentode. Make the grid drive to the pentode side switchable too, between P-P drive or AC ground for that side. With drive on both sides, you may get 2X SE power.

Last edited by smoking-amp; 13th December 2014 at 06:28 PM.
Old 13th December 2014, 07:19 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoking-amp View Post
You could try and have it both ways. Do a KT-88 P-P class A amp and configure one side as triode or UL, and the other side as pentode. Make the grid drive to the pentode side switchable too, between P-P drive or AC ground for that side. With drive on both sides, you may get 2X SE power.
Yeah, that is sorta what I am going to do, it will be triode then a switch will put it in pentode mode doubling the output from 8 watts to a whopping space warping 16 watts.

:-p

I am trying to keep things an simple as humanly possible with as few parts as possible.

I guess we will see.

Magz, did you try a smaller SET amp before your monster?
Old 13th December 2014, 07:32 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Based purely on the contents of your post, the responsible answer to your question is, "No, don't do it."
Old 13th December 2014, 07:34 PM   #7
Magz is offline Magz  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothsayerman View Post
Yeah, that is sorta what I am going to do, it will be triode then a switch will put it in pentode mode doubling the output from 8 watts to a whopping space warping 16 watts.

:-p

I am trying to keep things an simple as humanly possible with as few parts as possible.

I guess we will see.

Magz, did you try a smaller SET amp before your monster?

Nope, went straight for the gusto. I had heard smaller SETs on friends' systems, though, and liked them, which is why I was inspired to build mine - with the speakers I have, a flea-watter was not an option.
Old 13th December 2014, 08:35 PM   #8
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

GO FOR IT !

I've spend hundreds of hours simulating/designing, laying out pcbs, refining parts choices, building, debugging and testing SS amps. I've enjoyed every minute. My 'best' amp is a SS amp.

What am I listening to everyday ? - the very first SET amp I ever built. It's not expensive, simple 6AS7 single ended, 6SN7 driver, Hammond budget output transformer. It's not perfect by any means, but still sounds sooooooo good
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 13th December 2014, 09:21 PM   #9
12E1 is offline 12E1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

SE Worth it...?

I think this is one of those questions where if you ask 10 people, you could get 10 different answers.

My take on this... I am a slow builder. I collect way more bits for projects than I have time to complete. So I plan to build three valve amplifiers in my lifetime. If I build more, that's a bonus, but right now I have a push-pull, completed about 20 years ago. I am half way through my parallel single-ended, and and the end of the line there is my OTL circlotron monster. They are all worth it to me.

The reward is in the doing as much as in the end result. It keeps me happy, and that's what counts.
Old 13th December 2014, 09:39 PM   #10
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

the cult of the SET is a modern audiophile phenom: Valve Amps

Hide this!Advertise here!