What age do you think children should leave home?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
After looking at the debate on child free couples,

I thought it would be interesting to hear what others think about children becoming self sufficient and getting their own place.

I.e. how old should a child/adult be before they move out?
Or is there no age limit?

Regards
M. Gregg

When my oldest turned 16 and got a drivers license my wife and I joked about buying an RV (It's a house, it's a car... all you'll ever need. Goodbye). It was a few years after that. I guess the real answer depends on a lot of things. I think they're usually ready to go by the time they hit 20, unless there's... extenuating circumstances.

I would say 20-25 age range. It depends if they are still in school living at home, or if they need to save some money before getting their own place, and also maturity level. Extenuating circumstances can change this quite quickly.

I know a few that stayed at home because their father passed fairly early, or was out of the picture; and they took care of their mothers. Of course, this is a detriment to their own social livelihoods.

Later,
Wolf

I moved out at 15, it was easier than being home. Felt like taking a vacation for the first time.

Trying to do a better job than my parents did. I estimate my daughters will move out at 18-20. There are some things they need to learn by themselves. And hopefully they will also have a more healthy/supportive family life after they move out. I am trying to aim for a more balanced and open "opposition phase". Do note that my oldest daughter turns 4 tomorrow, I'm planning ahead, trying to account for all the variables, using my own fluid state theory.

Well I first moved out at 19 and last moved out at 31... but being a mature student at 31 in london is a bit of a different situation. Plus a lot of my peers ended up having to go home so they could work and save up a deposit to get there own place, with cost of living in london being so disproportionate to early sallaries, it's pretty typical to see people staying with there parents into there 30's, though what that does to relationships is a different matter.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
As soon as they can walk!

:D I get your point..

Its interesting to try and weigh up the balance between parents having quality in their later life and children/adults living at home.

I think its also interesting to see some comments about the kids maturing later in modern society, I know a few couples with kids still at home 27 and 29 years of age.

Some time back the papers/press referred to them as KIPPERS..:D (Kids in parents pockets eroding retirement savings)..and kippers are smelly..:)
Trouble is Uni and higher education is now the norm. Anyway why should they have all the fun..:D

Do you think the world is a worse place now than in the past?
I would always have a place for them to stay...

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
M. Gregg, children are maturing more slowly than my generation it seems, but this might also be a reaction to society having become more complicated and unpredictable. It just has become more difficult to start an independent life. No fixed job contracts, lousy incomes, price of housing gone through the roof, you name it.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
M. Gregg, children are maturing more slowly than my generation it seems, but this might also be a reaction to society having become more complicated and unpredictable. It just has become more difficult to start an independent life. No fixed job contracts, lousy incomes, price of housing gone through the roof, you name it.

I often wonder how much effect equal rights had for women..

I'm not saying that men and women should not have equal rights..
however I sometimes think when men and women worked it gave an excuse to make everything so expensive that to "Make it on your own" became harder you needed two wages to do anything.

Regards
M. Gregg

Here is an interesting add on ....

Greek traditions (that thank God are fading away the latest 20 years) require both boys and girls to stay with the parents until married or start their own family ...With mother and grand mother that runs behind them with food and a fork or spoon to feed 24/7

Now days things are better but still kids that move out on intention happens not very often It usually starts when they go to college or need to be educated or work in an other town than their home town ...Normally though after this is finished they will eventually return back when this situation is finished unless married on the way ...

Now days `tradition is getting very loose and many of the "old" traditions are questioned you can also add economics situation that doesn't help so yes in total and now days kids go away but not actually with the intention to go there always other reasons involved ...

My story ? i was partially out when i was 13 since i didn't manage very well with my father with the excuse that i wanted to work and learn through that electronics and go to night school but after my dad passed away when i was 14.5 i was totally gone .

God i had so much fun and freedom in my life ... i made so much money and i actually had the chance to enjoy them , been around the world, met people ,had healthy relationships with girls , very few one night stands , i made also foolish things that cost a lot, learned few things from my mistakes but judging from where i stand now none of the mistakes i made was due to i was gone or the missing guidance from my parents ...mostly had to do with my character ...from time to time i make the same mistakes even now that i am 48 .

As a conclusion i would say that if they like to go ..this can happen at almost any age the point is that either parents have to teach them a few realities about life or by nature they should have the talent or guts to face reality on their own ( which is going to happen one way or another )

I have a boy and a girl ... The girl will eventually have sex with a boy in the near feature For this for example we have been talking about with my wife and our intention is that either this will happen in her own apartment ( separated apartment located though in the same building that we own ) or may as well it can happen in our own house in a time that she will know that we are out because of this ... I expect that she will feel 10 times more comfortable in her own place than in the back seat of the Cadillac...
Will it work ?? don't know but my intention is to explain her that when she needs the parents we are going to be close to help without putting our noses in her life ....Obviously this will apply for the boy also if he likes to use the option ...

NO ...you don't wana know what rest of Greek people thing about that ...

Kind regards
Sakis

Last edited:
I'm still living at home. My father died from lung cancer when I was 39 so I'm the only one left in this house now that I lived in since 1961. The other family members moved out a long time ago. I thought about moving closer to work, but the houses there are more expensive, so I take the subway there everyday to work. I don't pay mortgage or rent, either, just bills and property tax. I plan to live here the rest of my life. I might turn it into my personal nursing home when I get too old to take care of myself.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.