I hate Linux

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2014
Paid Member
I am expecting to spend this evening hating again. Having thought all was sorted I finished my 'temporary' pass B1 that will run me whilst I gut my counterpoint SA1000. CD fine, Vinyl fine, MPD too quiet and have to crank the volume to the max. need to do a couple more tests but pretty sure the USB-spdif converter has announced to the DAC it can do 24 bit so 8 bits of attenuation are effectively being put in. When I find the right config file I am sure it will drop back in...but which file...

Joined 2014
Paid Member
well I am not quite yet ready to completely blame linux (well ALSA), but there is at least 24dB level difference between Spdif output from CD player, and the FLAC of the same CD played back via MPD and a USB-SPDIF converter. I have no volume control set anywhere so should be bitperfect output and doing checks on the files shows that most of them get very close to FS.

It doesn't help that I didn't measure the steps on the attenuator I fitted, but if it's 'normal' then we could be as high as 40dB down from the server, which is close to 8 bits. In which something could be getting confused and truncating a 24 bit feed to 16bits.

Tomorrow I'll calibrate things up and check the USB-spdif converter off my laptop. Would be preferable to prove that was at fault, although I cannot see quite how that can mess things up.

I know I will kick myself when I find out what I have done wrong!

I just had to rip firefox out completely at the file level (deleting the profile and the program files folder) and even that wasn't enough to destroy the installation, it still stored the username and password information somewhere.

The reason why I had to rip it out was because Firefox flat out refused to allow me to click on the "Clear all current history" link, no matter how many million times that I clicked on this link it still done nothing. I had to clear the history because the website wouldn't let me login because Firefox remembered the old password and ignored my input into the password box.

So after reinstalling firefox, it remembered the username/password history and wouldn't allow me to login because it kept on entering the old password in despite me entering in the password manually into the box! IT IGNORED THE USER INPUT!

So this time after reinstalling Firefox it allowed me to click on the "clear all current history" link and I was able to sucessfully do a clean install.

Thats it I'm done using Firefox. Maybe not today maybe not tomorrow but Firefox has screwed things up too much for me to give a **** anymore.

I'm going to try out the many alternatives to Firefox out there:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lightfirefox/

Last edited:
I like Android. It's free, you don't have to take some linux guy trying to teach you something.

I like Android too, I have a set top box thats Android.

But the app quality that you get is dreadful and nothing compared to iOS app quality.

VNC server support for example, is terrible on Android but great on iOS. (Doesn't even work!)

VLC Media player, great on iOS, crap on Android. (Doesn't have SAMBA support!)

Even so, I no longer use either because they're both ****. I've bought apps on both platforms and I no longer have access to the apps that I paid for because they've updated the OS and broken support for the apps, the developers no longer want to support or reprogram their apps for the new OS.

So I've basically just bought into a platform which acts like a black hole for my wallet!

You can backup the apk and packages for both platforms, iOS and Android, but whats the point anymore? The apps aren't useful to me anymore because I've gotten over the whole smartphone orgy, I just see it as a phone now, so its in the drawer and its battery is slowly being drained to death, the next step for my Android/iOS devices is the garbage bin.

My Nokia is in my pocket now. Know why? Its already 5 years old and has no sign of giving up, whereas my iPhone and Android phone is dead already and starting to break at the seams.

Last edited:
Bill, try running alsamixer on your device and see if it detects a volume control. Some of these things have a digital volume control built in, I have had trouble with that in the past.

Also make sure MPD is using the "hw" device to write directly to the soundcard. This bypasses all of ALSA's internal routing and mixing.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
hw device check

Alsamixer for some reason doesn't want to run. The file is there but was giving an error. So I spent last night checking everything else it could be before delving into why.

Looking at /proc/asound/../usbmixer there IS a controller for volume, but not referenced. So an evening of asound.conf changes may be ahead.

I come to europe from the 3th world. using Slackware, probably in those times XP run better. Then I adapt myself to MS because in my job they use it. In the 2008 I got a new (mediocre) Laptop that comes with Vista. I instaled ubuntu, since this time I use it for everything. Now is a mature distro with bugs but now I use wine for execute windows tools like pcb and plenty of software without problem. I got a new i7 notebook thats comes with W8.1 (UEFI trap for avoid use more linux) but happily I fix and thank God my ubuntu is working incredible. I use also a MAC in my practitioner because is cute, but I can confirm that is a linux cute distro that works slower that my ugly ubuntu. Navigate by the web without problems thinking in antiviruses tools. Using my stupid but efficient term with the endless help of the community.
I think the better for maintain our distro health is make the upload with accurate sense of need. Stay sure that any uploading is absolutely necessary for the computer, once we tune our machine with ubuntu or debian form distros, there are no problem at all.

Last edited:
I'm giving Linux specifically alsa the evil eye tonight.

The people who made alsa must've worked previously in torture.

They really took the **** out of Windows when you had to reboot every time you installed a device..

Now I'm taking the **** out of Linux because I have to reboot every time I do ANYTHING.

EDIT: YAY finally, apparently GREEN in alsamixer means that its UNMUTED... Gee.. Wish I had been told that. Kinda contradictory to what LOGIC dictates which would make that an UNGREEN Mute button in alsamixer would mean that its UNMUTED, but no, because the MUTE button is lit up GREEN it must therefore mean that its UNMUTED...... !!!!HUR HUR DUR DUR HUR DURR.... DERP

See thats the kind of useful info which might save someone a few hours of agony, but they've conveniently left out of Linux stuff purely because of arrogance of what the public needs, with MS-DOS based products I remember there being nice dialogue boxes (just like there is with the debian install script) which tell you the vital information that you need to know before using the utility.

And no I don't have the time to digest a 20 page user manual... A simple three line dialog box on first run of alsamixer could've saved me 2 hours of hair pulling!

But nooo, RTFM PEASANT!

Last edited:
doesn't help that there seems to be 9 ways to restart alsa and it all depends...

My microserver is rock solid again now so I love linux again until I try and add another output device.

Oh my word yes, anyone looking at me while working on Linux would think I was bipolar. :gasp::irked::emoticon::scared::happy2::rofl::mischiev::snooty::devilr::innocent::Ouch::nownow::sarge::crazy:

Because I now have a nice installation of mpd daemon to play with :)

I just now need to give it read permissions to the music directory... easier said than done!

EDIT: Screw it, I'll just give the directory 0755 permissions!

AHAHahahhahAHAHAHAHhaha ahAHHAHahhhaha AHahaha MUSIC! yay! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJLIiF15wjQ

I'll tell you what I want what I really really want...

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
OK thanks to the BBC I am hating again. they messed around with the HD stream feeds recently so I cannot now stream radio 3 into the stereo. Few experiments with this Playing BBC HLS radio streams on a UPnP renderer and have radio to the upnp renderers running on various tablets round the house, but mpd not playing ball. turns out I have an old version of mpd which does not support HLS. sudo apt-get install insists I have the latest version.

Sigh, build from scratch time. not done that yet on this machine. In fact not done that for (mumble) years. So long in fact that I managed to lock myself out.

The lock out was my fault, but why is it so hard to try and find out why the debian package archive is 3 years out of date? The Red side of RPM is calling to me...

ah well back in, now to install dependencies.

Freax, Im not sure what you use Linux for, but if its a files store, why not try Freenas? Its unix, but set and forget in my experience. most management can be done via the web interface. I have never lost files and it has been up and running for months with no intervention at all, it just works. Some of the later atom/celeron chips are pretty powerful, take a look at the quad core J1900, its more than sufficient for a NAS, and cheap compared to i3 and i5 procs. Look for an all in one board, just add ram and disk.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.