Capacitors can you hear the difference

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you can't explain what the phenomena actually was, then I'll have to believe what I currently do about this, as I have no other explanation.
I cannot seem to recreate it either. Coils and resistors can't/don't have anything that 'forms' or such like capacitors can.

It's conceivable for a capacitor to do this, but under voltage stress. I've heard similar noises in speakers from appliances switching on/off,
coupling through the AC line to the amp or preamp.

It's conceivable for a capacitor to do this, but under voltage stress. I've heard similar noises in speakers from appliances switching on/off,
coupling through the AC line to the amp or preamp.

That's the point, it could have been anything, except that cap puncturing and self healing, simply because you weren't applying enough voltage to it.

Now If you used, say, a 160V rated cap in a tube amp supply, bypassing a couple electrolytics in series carrying combined >800V DC, there it might happen ... but in a speaker crossover where at most you can find, say, 20 or 30V RMS? : no way .

That's the point, it could have been anything, except that cap puncturing and self healing, simply because you weren't applying enough voltage to it.

Now If you used, say, a 160V rated cap in a tube amp supply, bypassing a couple electrolytics in series carrying combined >800V DC, there it might happen ... but in a speaker crossover where at most you can find, say, 20 or 30V RMS? : no way .

I was the only person home, and nothing else was on. I admit what you're saying here could be a possibility. Why did it do it 2 separate times in 2 different channels when they were supplied the same power is beyond me.

Thanks for the discussion,
Wolf

@Wolf

"If you can't explain what the phenomena actually was, then I'll have to believe what I currently do about this, as I have no other explanation. I cannot seem to recreate it either. Coils and resistors can't/don't have anything that 'forms' or such like capacitors can."

I do not know why people cannot be content with "I do not know why!"

You don't HAVE to believe anything; you chose to.

@Wolf

"If you can't explain what the phenomena actually was, then I'll have to believe what I currently do about this, as I have no other explanation. I cannot seem to recreate it either. Coils and resistors can't/don't have anything that 'forms' or such like capacitors can."

I do not know why people cannot be content with "I do not know why!"

You don't HAVE to believe anything; you chose to.

You are correct. I still don't know why, and this is just my and a few others' 'theory'.
I only posted this hoping someone would know what happened with more clarity.

Best regards,
Wolf

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.