Fixing swimming pool light

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Folks, need your help with a chore... Where better to ask than in Tinkertown...:D:D

One of our swimming pool lights died. The light is of the type that has a magnet to connect 2 sides, one of which is in the pool and one of which is outside the pool. Amazon.com : INTEX Above Ground LED Magnetic Swimming Pool Light | 56687E : Swimming Pool Lighting Products : Patio, Lawn & Garden

The light source is three white leds. I think there was a short or so, because there was a lot of goo when I opened it up. One of the leds was dead, 2 were discolored. So I cleaned it, and replaced the leds with 3 new bright white leds.

So far so good. So when I did a test run, all three leds worked and I thought that was it. But after 15 seconds or so, all leds shut down. If I switch off power and switch it back on, everything works again for 15 seconds... And switches off again...

So I suspect there is some protection circuitry. I read on the FAQ on their website that there is some protection:

"A. The Intex LED pool wall light has a protection feature in case the wall thickness exceeds 1mm (0.04in). Bringing the two modules together very slowly simulate a wall thickness that is greater than 1mm (0.04in) thus triggering the protection mechanism, hence no current to the LED light. To reset the protection mechanism, disconnect the device from the main outlet and re-plug after 5 to 10 sec."

I didn't see any resistors originally, but played around with various values for limiting resistors, but nothing seems to work... Nothing that beats the protection....

I measure 14 volts across the three leds.

Any ideas or experience??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.