Stupidest thing you have ever done. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th September 2014, 01:13 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Stupidest thing you have ever done.

I had a pair of speaker cables to connect up.
They had to be plugged in behind the amplifier which I could only reach from the front.

Got the 2 speakers wired up then turned on the amp.
Smoke and a big bang.

I had wired one cable between the 2 channels outputs !
And wired the other cable between the 2 speakers.

I use the amplifier power supply and housing as a test bed now for new designs.
Old 24th September 2014, 01:33 AM   #2
rayma is online now rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelwright7557 View Post
Got the 2 speakers wired up then turned on the amp.
Smoke and a big bang.
I had wired one cable between the 2 channels outputs !
And wired the other cable between the 2 speakers.
That's nothing. I had just got a brand new ARC SP3A and D150. I plugged everything in, and noticed an electrical "tingle" on the SP3A.
But, I was anxious to get them working, so I turned on the preamp. BAM. The D150's entire grounding system was melted because the
SP3A's case was hot. One of the sheet metal screws on the preamp's cover had pierced the AC cord and shorted the AC line to the chassis.

Last edited by rayma; 24th September 2014 at 01:35 AM.
Old 24th September 2014, 01:38 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I remember my first valve project.
It was a pre-amp.
I built it up then turned it on and it didn't work.
So powered off and touched the circuit and got a huge belt off it.
I then remembered you have to discharge the power supply capacitor.
Found a fault, fixed it then turned on again.
Still didn't work.
So I discharged the capacitor.
Touched the circuit and again got a huge belt.
I had forgotten to turn it off !

I learned a lot from that experience.
Anything new I turn on from behind a chair to shield me from flying components.

I later bought a variac and a lamp current limiter and have had few problems since.
Old 24th September 2014, 01:56 AM   #4
mack290 is offline mack290  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Doing modifications without prior planning or even a schematic. Really, really dumb....

End results blown transistors, angry wife
Old 24th September 2014, 02:27 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Touched the circuit and again got a huge belt. I had forgotten to turn it off !
Not bad, but how about this one. I assembled a tube amp for someone, and it worked fine. They returned it a couple of weeks later,
mentioning something about occasional noises. I opened up the bottom, and I had failed to solder all of the octal socket output tube connections.

Last edited by rayma; 24th September 2014 at 02:29 AM.
Old 24th September 2014, 02:31 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I built a 80 watt valve amplifier.
Turned it on and one of the output valves red plated.
I had missed soldering in a grid stopper resistor.
Odd thing was it sounded fine with the resistor out.
Old 24th September 2014, 02:49 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I built a 80 watt valve amplifier.
Turned it on and one of the output valves red plated.
I had missed soldering in a grid stopper resistor.
Odd thing was it sounded fine with the resistor out.
Single-ended amp. That channel might have sounded better.

Actually, I've done that one too, but to all four output tubes. It didn't work.

Last edited by rayma; 24th September 2014 at 02:55 AM.
Old 24th September 2014, 03:03 AM   #8
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Threw away a perfectly good Ortofon SPU GT/E phono cartridge because I was young, did not know what it was, and did not have a suitable arm on the TT I had then.. Internet was in its infancy so no opportunity to research.
Old 24th September 2014, 03:13 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

NOTE: Not audio related unless you count the 1971 Quadraphonic 8 Track tape deck in the car.

In my 61 years on this planet I have done a lot of stupid things.......but the STUPIDEST would have to be setting myself and my car on fire.

Once you realize that you are drenched in gasoline AND on fire, what do you (NOT) do? RUN!

I was 18 or 19 years old. I had a large car (1965 Pontiac Grand Prix) with a 6.6 Liter V8 engine in it, which didn't run very good. I had removed the carburetor and intake manifold to fix a vacuum leak.

Like most kids with no money I used gasoline to clean parts since it was 28 cents per gallon then. Gasoline "cans" are all made of plastic today, but in the early 70's they were steel. I had been scraping remnants of the intake gasket from the cylinder heads with a paint scraper using gasoline as a solvent. Gasoline was all over the engine and the rags I was using to clean the head surfaces.

I had just poured some gas on my cleaning rag, and reached over to set the gas can on the radiator fan shroud.....but I wasn't paying good attention and I set the metal gas can down right on top of the battery. There was a LARGE spark and everything was on fire. The spark had blown a hole in the side of the gas can AND created enough heat to pressurize the sealed can shooting a stream of flaming gasoline in my direction. Myself and my clothes were drenched in burning gasoline and instinct made me take off running, which in most circumstances would have been the absolute WORST thing to do, but.......

The car was in my parents front yard. I had lived in that house for 18 years and I knew the exact shortest path from the car to the lake. I covered those 75 feet in about 100 milliseconds and made a flying leap into the water.

After I realized that I was still alive, and relatively unburnt, the first thing I remember was my brother laughing at me and pointing at the car, which I could not see from the lake. It was seriously on fire. What does the dumb blonde do, well he tries to put out a gas and oil fire with the garden hose.

I did manage to put out the burning car, but I succeeded in washing the fire out into the street, which was now on fire. By this time my brothers were laughing, and my father was yelling, and the neighbors had called the cops and fire department. By the time the authorities showed up the fire was out, and the only damage was to my car and dad's precious front lawn.

Domestic relations between my father and I had been on shaky ground, but I think this incident convinced him that I was not someone that he wanted living in his house. He told me that I should have never bought the car, and sure shouldn't have taken it apart. It would never run again and he was going to have it towed away. Every wire and vacuum hose under the hood was fried, as was most of the other rubber and plastic parts.

When he wasn't home I got several of my friends to help me push the car two blocks to a friends house. There was an ugly black spot in the front yard where the car had been. That didn't help things.

Do you know that a 1965 Pontiac will run just fine with only about 10 wires connected under the hood....AND they can ALL be wired up with SPEAKER WIRE!!!!!!

I drove that car for about 6 months with the speaker wire electrical system.
Old 24th September 2014, 03:17 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubelab.com View Post
Do you know that a 1965 Pontiac will run just fine with only about 10 wires connected under the hood....AND they can ALL be wired up
with SPEAKER WIRE!!!!!! I drove that car for about 6 months with the speaker wire electrical system.
Ok, you win.

Hide this!Advertise here!