Can I sell amplifier modules which were designed by someone else ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
<<<Maybe "Wireless World" should sell pages for us to publish our schematics rather than pay lawyers and foreign patent filing fees.>>>

DiyAudio will publish for free or a blog will work too.

Publishing or registration is not an actual requirement to copyright protection.

Last edited:
I'd not rely upon "Les" from "Technical Support" to have the authority to say one way or the other... I wouldn't.

I would have guessed he got permission from above.
I have printed off the email for future use and at least that shows I made a reasonable effort to get permission to use the circuit.

Anyway, I have made 20 changes to components and circuit. I also completely reworked the pcb so it can hardly now be called a copy.

Last edited:
scott wurcer said:
There's no point in this argument I'm certain you have a misconception about the law, a quick search found several reverse engineering services in the UK and IC reverse engineering services with UK offices all doing their thing for decades.
As I said in an earlier post, there is a specific exemption in EU law for reverse engineering for the purpose of interfacing. If I sell a widget then you can reverse engineer it for the purpose of designing and selling an add-on to it. You can't reverse engineer it for the purpose of selling a copy of my widget. You can reverse engineer it for the purpose of selling something which does the same function, but I might want to investigate whether any copying took place. I am sure these reverse engineering labs all say that their services are intended for add-ons and not copyright infringment, just as essay mills all say that their services are intended to help students learn how to write good essays rather than cheat.

Maybe "Wireless World" should sell pages for us to publish our schematics rather than pay lawyers and foreign patent filing fees.
As I keep saying, in Europe it has been traditional to rely on copyright protection in some situations where elsewhere people would use a patent. Maybe we were naive; perhaps we thought that as we used copyright protection everyone else would respect that even in situations where their tradition was to use patents.

Okay SY

A case site for you. Way back in the disco era I worked for a chain of discos owned by a fellow who headed Lambert-Brussels Real Estate among other interests. His boss also produced cases and as they were quite impressive I bought some and have most of one left. Mouton Rothschild 1972! Now does that impress you?

I would have guessed he got permission from above.
I have printed off the email for future use and at least that shows I made a reasonable effort to get permission to use the circuit.

Anyway, I have made 20 changes to components and circuit. I also completely reworked the pcb so it can hardly now be called a copy.

Nigel, that's an assumption. You know what it means to "assume"?
That's "***-u-me".

I'd not guess that he asked anyone.
If you want to nail it, you need to get the same answer from a senior executive, or better still from their attorney.

But if you have materially changed the circuit, then more or less ur home free. Consider changing the way that a LTP is fed from the top and bottom. That ought to be enough to be called a different design, imo. etc.

_-_-

Lousy vintage and from a down period in their history. So... no. :D

Well, I have consumed most of the other stuff, but contrary to your opinion the 72 was quite good. I suspect you are confusing it with the Mouton Cadet. I still have one bottle of the 82 considered one of the best.

I do have a bit of other Claret that should be good around 2040, among other cases of bad grape juice.

(I have been putting wine away since the mid 70's and know where a really marvelous cellar is that will be closing soon and not going to bid.)

Well, I have consumed most of the other stuff, but contrary to your opinion the 72 was quite good. I suspect you are confusing it with the Mouton Cadet.

Not really, no. :D The '82 is a different animal- quite good. The '72 sells for about 1/4 the price of current release (2010) and 1/10 the price of '82.

I don't think I'll be good by 2040, so I don't even buy green bananas.

$11 at compounded interest and inflation adjusted?

Auction price now is ~$150-170, meaning about $120 net to you. It's about a push, economically. If you like it, drink it.

If I were opening a bottle tonight and wanted to keep the cost on the low end, but was otherwise unrestricted, I'd be looking in places other than Bordeaux. A nice J-P Brun Beaujolais, for example, or one of Steve Edmunds's delicious Gamays.

Okay SY

A case site for you. Way back in the disco era I worked for a chain of discos owned by a fellow who headed Lambert-Brussels Real Estate among other interests. His boss also produced cases and as they were quite impressive I bought some and have most of one left. Mouton Rothschild 1972! Now does that impress you?

I bought a case of 1972 Pichon Lalande for $36 and used 1/2 of it to poach cherries for cherries jubilee over the years. The wine was a pale version of what they could produce in a good vintage. The problem with buying wines in the 70's was that the same $11 could buy a fully mature wine from a great vintage right off the shelf.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.