Highest resolution without quantization noise - Page 32 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th August 2014, 10:39 AM   #311
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kastor L View Post
Yes sorry I was not clear, normal DSD fulfills Nyquist, so double-rate DSD and octa-rate DSD "does nothing", in terms of the time resolution in your view?
Well, "does nothing" is an oversimplification, but just like a 44.1 kHz sample rate PCM signal can reproduce timing differences much smaller than the sample interval, a standard-rate DSD file can represent timing differences way beyond what the human ear can detect.
Old 17th August 2014, 11:14 AM   #312
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Kastor L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julf View Post
Oh, look! There's someone that is wrong on the Internet! Wow!
Haha =)

So far I can deduct that it has really high / unsatisfactory latency for audio/visual, plus unsatisfactory pre-ringing.

He says 192 kHz recordings have much higher timing resolution, within the 20 - 20 bandwidth.

If that is true, then they should sound different, if they don't then why would tap length?

Although SY said these are not related I think.

I'm really not sure, that's why I'm checking in detail, to shine light on these considerations.

Even if a 20,000+ filter tap length is perceivable, I'm pretty sure it could be made for a few dollars, not a few thousand =)

Or you'd think the equivalent could be made in PC software.

Last edited by Kastor L; 17th August 2014 at 11:40 AM.
Old 17th August 2014, 11:21 AM   #313
diyAudio Member

Quote:
he says 192 kHz recordings have much higher timing resolution
That is of course patently false.
Old 17th August 2014, 12:16 PM   #314
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Chord Hugo - Page 202

"I agree very much with these two quotes, and it is simply down to the very big WTA tap length that Hugo enjoys - 26,368 taps, way way bigger than any other DAC I have seen.

Having all those taps means the interpolation filter does a more accurate job of reconstructing the original timing of the recording. Timing is an incredibly important cue for the brain, and we know that the ear/brain can resolve down to 4 micro seconds - so the brain via the inter-aural network is sampling at 250 kHz!

///

Anyhow, if the interpolation filter has an infinite number of taps, then it will reconstruct the timing and amplitude of the original bandwidth limited signal perfectly. That is a mathematical certainty. So increasing tap length will give better sound, because you are reconstructing the timing more accurately. Is 26,368 the last word? No its not, there is a huge difference going from 18,432 to Hugo's 26,368, I can't imagine that increasing it further won't make a big difference. When would increasing tap length stop improving the sound - 100k? 1M? 10M?

Nobody knows

Since Hugo has more taps than any other DAC, then the timing problems of red-book CD will be better handled by Hugo than any other DAC, and so the timing benefits of higher sample rates will get much smaller.

But why the suggestion that red-book has maybe better than higher sample rate recordings? I am starting to see this too, and I think the problem maybe down to the problems that high sample rate has - they have better timing resolution than red-book, but they let in a lot of HF rubbish from the ADC noise shapers. Now I know out of band noise creates big SQ problems, as it inter modulates in the analogue sections, it increases the DAC's sensitivity to jitter, with the result of more noise floor modulation, giving a harder more aggressive SQ. I hear this with DXD recordings, a brightness that sounds just like noise floor modulation. I am experimenting on filtering out this noise, to see if there is some benefit in doing this. Now red-book has timing problems, but it has no noise above 22.05 kHz (if you do the interpolation filter correctly!). So Hugo goes a very long way to fix the timing problems, so high rez recordings no longer enjoys better timing than red-book"
This is just a lot of misinformation and as mentioned before it goes against sampling theory.
I believe this myth comes from people looking at sample editor software and thinking this is actually what a digital wave looks like.
Old 17th August 2014, 12:46 PM   #315
diyAudio Member

Disinformation to fill the bank account.
Old 18th August 2014, 02:13 AM   #316
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattoo View Post
/// as mentioned before it goes against sampling theory.

I believe this myth comes from people looking at sample editor software and thinking this is actually what a digital wave looks like.
Strictly speaking you can't say it goes against "the Nyquist-Shannon sampling theorem".

It's in conflict with the chain of events, Nyquist-Shannon --> oversampling --> reconstruction filter.

In a filterless, non-oversampling DAC, a recording with 192,000 samples per second will have higher timing resolution in 20 Hz - 20,000 Hz than a recording with 48,000 / 96,000 samples per second, right?

Just trying to be concise and factual.

Nyquist?Shannon sampling theorem

Last edited by Kastor L; 18th August 2014 at 02:25 AM.
Old 18th August 2014, 07:35 AM   #317
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Strictly speaking you can't say it goes against "the Nyquist-Shannon sampling theorem".

It's in conflict with the chain of events, Nyquist-Shannon --> oversampling --> reconstruction filter.

In a filterless, non-oversampling DAC, a recording with 192,000 samples per second will have higher timing resolution in 20 Hz - 20,000 Hz than a recording with 48,000 / 96,000 samples per second, right?

Just trying to be concise and factual.

Nyquist?Shannon sampling theorem
"If a function x(t) contains no frequencies higher than B hertz, it is completely determined by giving its ordinates at a series of points spaced 1/(2B) seconds apart."

If it is completely determined, it is completely determined. So the timing is completely determined too. So if your signal is bandwidth-limited to 20 kHz, it will be just as completely determined with a 48 kHz sample rate as with a 192 kHz sample rate.
Old 18th August 2014, 07:39 AM   #318
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
All bets are off in Nyquist-Shannon land with a filterless NOS DAC since bandlimiting is a tenet of the theory.
Old 18th August 2014, 07:43 AM   #319
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
All bets are off in Nyquist-Shannon land with a filterless NOS DAC since bandlimiting is a tenet of the theory.
Well, a truly filterless NOS DAC is broken by definition. In practice, they all have some sort of low-pass filter due to the limited bandwidth of the amp and speaker they are feeding, it is just sub-optimal and not under the control of the designer.
Old 18th August 2014, 07:46 AM   #320
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
My comment wasn't intended as a criticism of your post Julf, rather to indicate that the question posted by Kastor about 'timing resolution' contained what seemed to me to be an inherent contradiction.

Hide this!Advertise here!