Is distortion really a problem for music reproduction ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
gino, I have no issues with DSP at all, even less than abraxalito, :D. It is the ideal way to get the best possible frequency response from whatever speakers you use, if you come from the angle that optimum behaviour in frequency and phase is the answer to everything, :).

Hi and thanks for the kind reply
I have convinced a friend to buy and test it during the weekend and next days. He has an high efficiency system with horns and so on, the one i liked to put together myself as well.
I have seen a video of this unit on youtube that impressed me.
Without eq the sound in the room was very much more confused ... with eq much cleaner. Better. From this my curiosity.
And the nice thing is that it could be tailored to actual the listening room.
I do not know if a flat response is a must. Personally i think that low distortion at listening levels (also during music peaks) is a must.

I don't believe it's an issue in the DACs, provided the latter are working correctly - which of course is Yet Another Issue
The only downsides are that the DSP area of the electronics has to be well engineered so that no interference from the computer processing - which is what DSP is all about - affects the analogue parts of the circuitry in any way;

Yes you are right. I have still not decided where to place it, after the digital out or after the preamp ... some tests are need.
Using it with analog inputs adds a AD stage. But less problem with jitter i think. I have to try and listen for myself.

and that speaker drivers may be pushed, by over-enthusiastic equalising, into misbehaving at times

This is a very important point. I will try only to shave off the highest peaks ... just a reduction action
My goal is a response between +/- 4 dB or so.
I have read an article where they stated that the human ear is more sensitive to distortion than to variation in level ... especially with music.
I also read a review of a speaker ... the response was everything but flat but distortion low. And they liked the overall sound.

Most of the need for power is in the bass that usually must be tamed quite a bit not to become overbearing on the rest of the spectrum
Two units are very interesting for me ... this one and the digital xover
I understand they are complex units ... but this week i will have a first opinion from this friend on the eq.
Thanks a lot again.
Kind regards, gino

Last edited:
The Distortion of Sound
* Repeat: The Distortion of Sound [Full Film] - YouTube
What do you think; credible, incredible, back to zero, ...?

Hi thanks for the very interesting link
I am not an expert but i think that today most of the recordings are done with digital recorders
And i understand that the good ones are very good indeed.
The cd format could be not high rez enough by the way.
When the cd format was finalized the pro i think pretty soon went for something better, the Dat format, with 16 bit/48kHz.
A very telling test could be to listen to a good analog tapes on a high quality tape recorder and then listen the digital copy with different level of resolution
I think that at a certain point differences in sound would be so minimal that the direct feed and the recorded sound could sound the same ? :rolleyes:
But digital is the present and the future i guess
Thanks again. Regards, gino

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.