The right to be forgotten

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've just updated my blog with what I think is a pretty stark reminder that what you post online will stay online forever. Particularly to manufacturers with websites, perhaps smaller companies with a more personal approach.
You may not realize that some day you might want to be forgotten.
That's why it's important to use usernames, pen names, and the like. Not so easy in high end audio when most often the designer is the brand. You just can't one day decide that by taking your website down that all will be forgotten, including my own blog.

http://croweaudio.blogspot.ca/2014/06/the-right-to-be-forgottennot-gonna.html

Joined 2011
Paid Member
The weight of this becomes much more significant if you consider how this will eventually affect all the young, dumb kids out there who have no idea how permanent the internet is.

I've been driving this into my kids heads since they were quite young. The are at the age now (11-12) that they think they know better than daddy (who has spent nearly the last 2 decades as an internetworking professional at Canada's leading internet co-location provider). They keep asking me for instagram and all these shifty chat apps... the answer is always "no" and up until recently there was always an argument. What changed? Well, one of their unsuspecting friends sent images of herself in her bathing suit (or bra/panties, who can tell these days) through one of these "services" and the other day while at school she decided to "google" herself. Bam! up pop the images, for the whole world to see, with her name. "I have to delete them!" she cried. My daughters let her know that it is impossible to delete them. The kid went home crying and her parents are livid. There is nothing they can do.

My kids don't bug me so much about all those apps now, and they even went as far as to tell me how glad they are that I know so much about "computers".

From one parent to the others out there; take the devices away and take your kids out into the wilderness. Do all that you can to prevent them from becoming a part of the technologically enslaved masses. If you disagree, then it is already too late for both you and them. Sorry. :(

Last edited:
Yes Cogitech your right, that's why instagram has become popular with younger kids because the pictures supposedly get erased after a short time. However even with instagram you can do a screen grab (easily done on an iphone). Plus nobody really knows if instagram really deletes the photo or not. Not to mention what your ISP does with the data.

there have been requests to have all their posts deleted by those leaving

it has happened that some have deleted all their "contributions" in forums with unlimited edit times

but it does put a hole in the discussions - quoting "notable" posts helps prevent their loss when the poster may be able to delete the original

Last edited:
Oh, the irony. The whole point of the internet archive is a non profit educational website that helps with Exercising our "right to remember", copied and pasted from here - https://archive.org/about/ - and you should probably read that page because your blog also contains a couple of other major errors and/or misconceptions.

The internet archive does not save every website, in fact it misses quite a few of them. I don't remember the details and don't have time to search right now, but IIRC, if you notice one that isn't being saved you can suggest or request specific sites that you think should be archived for posterity.

Finally, I don't think it shows the level of traffic the site received anywhere. If you are talking about the timeline, it shows when and how often the internet archive took a snapshot of the site and saved it.

While I agree with the message of this thread (and the blog) a bit more research is in order.

Last edited:
Oh, the irony. The whole point of the internet archive is a non profit educational website that helps with Exercising our "right to remember", copied and pasted from here - https://archive.org/about/ - and you should probably read that page because your blog also contains a couple of other major errors and/or misconceptions.

The internet archive does not save every website, in fact it misses quite a few of them. I don't remember the details and don't have time to search right now, but IIRC, if you notice one that isn't being saved you can suggest or request specific sites that you think should be archived for posterity.

Finally, I don't think it shows the level of traffic the site received anywhere. If you are talking about the timeline, it shows when and how often the internet archive took a snapshot of the site and saved it.

While I agree with the message of this thread (and the blog) a bit more research is in order.

I'm not commenting on the website in a derogatory sense. I think it's an amazing accomplishment and should be done. I was pointing out the not so well known fact that sites like this exist. How it works and technical minutia was secondary to my point, I wouldn't call them major errors.
Your right, it doesn't track 'all' websites, but I do think the timeline is tracking either the traffic or the how often the site changes. Either way the timeline certainly does reflect the amount of general activity.

You are probably right in a general sense, they probably have an algorithm like google to anticipate how often the content changes and save snapshots based on that info. But it's not going to be an accurate representation like google analytics can provide.

Anyway, again, I agree with the sentiment of this thread and the blog entry. But finding a balance that works well between archiving and privacy over time is difficult, although the archive site in question will remove content upon request. (Not sure if they delete it or just don't publicly link to it.) And the issue of websites that were purposefully created vs personal content (like facebook, instagram, instant messaging and all other forms of social networking) makes the whole situation infinitely trickier to control by law. Content DOES disappear, it's just not usually the content that you WISH would disappear. (The archive site says the average lifespan of a webpage is 77 days IIRC, and then the information is lost if it's not archived somehow.)

I think it is a human rights issue which should be addressed by the EFF.

I recently left another forum which has a very strict policy of never EVER deleting anything despite the demands of multiple users and am afraid to speak its name here because Google will crosslink that information and find out where I've moved to.

But that's what you get when you combine idiots with money and computers who grow up without a good sense of human rights and morality. I.e basically every single person on the face of the planet today.

Please note that its not this forum that I'm talking about but another different one entirely.

I for one am building a bunker and stepping inside of it. Cause the world has truly gone to ****. (When it comes to human rights.)

Last edited:
Maybe if more people took this into consideration then they wouldn't have to ask to be deleted.;)

listen_to_yourself.png

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.