Employee titles - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th June 2014, 04:31 PM   #1
AuroraB is offline AuroraB  Norway
diyAudio Member

Default Employee titles

Hi folks....
I work for a company with international clients and visitors. For the n'th time in my 38 year career with this company, there is a profile change again, involving logos etc etc , and this time also the name of the main company.

We are a rather diverse bunch of people, about 60 in total, ranging from no particular education except general high school to BSC's, MSc's and a few PhD's.....
Some of our employee titles are OK in norwegian, but sounds downright silly in english, be it US or british. Hoping you folks might have some better suggestions... In general, a lot of us have rather a good selection of different hats for diffrent situations......

We have group of carpenters, painters, mechanics etc, with trade certificates. Some do work of a typical janitor, but all do assist or perform special tasks when necesseary. Which common name would be suitable for this group of people?

W also have a small hotel at our premises, but the cleaners ( some also certified) also assist in other work, - reception, in our canteen on occations when there's lots of people on the premises., - and so on and so forth........

I am responsible for electric power installations, communications systems and a fair selection of more or less strange electronic equipment, and a staff of four, BSc by education. By traditional standards, I'd be senior engineer, but because of budgets, economics and planning, as well as work management and organisation, they call me 'manager', - and there's two more of us with different responsibilities....
At 61, I don't really care as long as the paycheck is acceptable.... but anyone have any better suggestions...???

TIA
Old 5th June 2014, 04:44 PM   #2
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

I think we need the translations first?
Old 5th June 2014, 05:01 PM   #3
AuroraB is offline AuroraB  Norway
diyAudio Member

Well, the 'fixing' guys are called 'skilled workers', and the women are called 'service providers', - a title I woudn't have if I were a woman... ;-)
Old 5th June 2014, 05:19 PM   #4
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Fixing = Repair personnel?

What do the service providers do?
Old 5th June 2014, 05:33 PM   #5
Quard is online now Quard  United States
diyAudio Member

for 'handyman' and 'whatever it takes' type jobs,
their future employment possibilities might be aided
if they had a title like 'customer service' or 'technical assistance',

titles don't mean as much if you have a college degree
and can elucidate just what you did on a job (and it checks out).

but for people who really take care of a lot of **** and don't have an advanced degree,
a job title can mean a lot, and being trusted to be the "face" of the company helps.

if management gets "pithy" (that is, pi**y) about it, remind the big-shots that they're
'not paying them any more than they were before'.
Old 5th June 2014, 08:55 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Call everyone "associate". Including management level. Its like comrade, but without the rouge-tinged implications.

You would be an Engineering Associate. The cleaners and fixers would be Maintenance Associates. Staff in the Hotel - Accommodation or Hospitality Associates.

High level managers just get an abbreviation. ***. should do it nicely. ;-)
Old 5th June 2014, 09:48 PM   #7
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraB View Post
We have group of carpenters, painters, mechanics etc, with trade certificates. Some do work of a typical janitor, but all do assist or perform special tasks when necesseary. Which common name would be suitable for this group of people?
In large hotels these jobs are commonly called Maintenance and/or Engineering. They might be called Millwright in a factory, but that is a more specific term. Millwrights usually build, repair and modify machinery.
Old 5th June 2014, 09:54 PM   #8
Einric is offline Einric  United States
diyAudio Member

I take care of radio integration, electronic signs, networking & telephone systems.
They call me a Communications Technologist, maybe something along that line may be appropriate.
Old 5th June 2014, 10:00 PM   #9
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

"Maintenance" and "Housekeeping"
Old 5th June 2014, 11:58 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I fix computers, networking, software, cars, printers, plant the garden. I sometimes choose, "husband", but when vendors ask, it's "wizard".

Oh, yeah. Day job. Sr. Tech Support Engineer.

Hide this!Advertise here!