Employee titles

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I find this oh so useless and irrelevant.
FWIW when somebody tells me : "I work at XXX Corp. and there I´m the YYYY" I *always* ask: "fine, but what do you actually *do*?"
The standard answer is:
- " I told you, I´m the YYYY"
- "that means nothing, what do you actually DO .... please tell me: you get there in the morning, punch a card/sign/whatever , then go to an office/lab/machine shop/front desk/whatever .... and what do you do there? ..... suppose I get there at 10 A.M. , where do I find you?, what are you doing? "
People usually babble "I don´t know what you mean" or "what do you want to know that for?"
I may add, if necessary "who tells you what to do? .... who checks and approves your work? .... do you give orders to or supervise anybody ?"
No need to say that I´m often considered incredibly nosey and impolite.

In my opinion all the staff that are not specifically assigned to a formal group such as Research & Development, Engineering, Administration, etc may have a title Support Staff as this describes that besides from their normal activities they are really in support of the qualified or formal groups. This was a name that we used at Hewlett Packard, which also pleased the lower echelons in the hierarchy and there is nothing wrong with having a multifaceted job being Support Engineer ( the guy how passes the tools) Support Rigger (the guy that pulls the ropes when rigging the antenna) Support Safety Officer, Support Quality Technician. As for yourself - Engineering Manager in a company carries much weight - firstly he is a graduate or post graduate in engineering and responsible for the total functioning of engineering. A Technical Manager for instance would be designated to that has buil a lot of knowledge through experience but has not achieved a tertiary engineering qualification, thus cannot be addressed as an engineer. Many smaller companies would employ a technical manager if they cannot afford a qualified engineering manager - an Engineering Manager often also hold a government ticket of competence.

Last edited:
the low-level HR kids that scan all the resumes submitted for lower-level jobs
don't think at all (they haven't been around long enough to make any sense, anyway)

but they have to please their managers,
and meet the "official," poorly-worded job requirements listed by their managers,
so they often just look for a title that can be confirmed or denied by previous employer,
and toss the rest.

at that moment, and during subsequent salary "negotiations",
a decent job title in the past can really make a difference for a lot of people

Thanks guys... I've forwarded the useful sugggestions to those who deal with it.

Although some find this irrelevant, a logical job title do mean something to a lot of people. What was important in this case was to find proper translations for otherwise good norwegian words, and not end up with downright silly sounding english titles.
This is hard working guys and gals that does not deserve nonsens.
As for myself, I don't care what they call me, as long is payment is OK.......

Petty Officer is a title used for those in betweens, like supervisors. You can change officer to something relevant.

Gajanan Phadte

The U.S. most famous Petty Officer --

Attachments

• CPOSharkey.jpg
    CPOSharkey.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 35
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.