Use of terms in audio fidelity discussions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
i think that in the end this hobby can lead me to madness ... :eek:
I have always tried hard to understand at least some bits, but sometimes i sincerely think that the task is beyond my possibilities ...
One last case
The product in question an op-amp based line preamp presented here in this forum.
I am sure it is a really great product, with SOTA specifications.
And still the designer says in the project pages ...

... Nevertheless I would like to mention some of my ideas that guided this design. In the past I did design and listening tests on vacuum tube amplifiers. That background and experience did lead me to:
Do not use more semiconductors in the audio path then needed. More semiconductors easily make the sound less open and transparent.

I do no want to start a discussion on what open and transparent is.
For me it is easier to understand an open window, or a transparent glass ...

Can this transparency in audio circuit be correlated to some parameters ?
If so i would very much prefer words like ... low noise, low distortion, high slew rate ... to avoid any form of confusion.

Then ... speaking of semiconductors in the audio path ... well and opamp has several of them ... even 30 !
Just for me to understand .. does this mean that an op-amp must be seen as a single semiconductor ?

Another thing ... if measurements are so important (the designer mentions impressive figures to support the quality of the product i guess) i do not think tubes are champs on this matter, at least distortion and noise wise.

I am trying to understand as i said at the beginning ... but it is not easy.
Kind regards, gino

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Lets just say that opamps do sound subtly different (the best of the best) and with a correspondingly bigger difference between the best and "worse".

The terms you use have all tried to be identified and matched to specific parameters but with little success.

As to considering the opamp as one semiconductor, well I suppose you do really. Change it and you change the whole circuit with a corresponding change in subjective audio performance and measured performance too. If you really did construct your opamp from discrete parts (it can be done) and then changed the individual semiconductors in that discrete opamp you would not notice much change in performance (within reason and not being silly with choice of devices)

If you are interested in opamps then you might like to try this. We did some pretty involved tests some months ago but the files are long gone now, this one is purely for fun :D

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/256170-low-noise-opamps-2014-a-7.html#post3940630

Hello and thank you very much for the valuable replies.
Needless to say that i have not any kind of prejudice towards op-amps.
They are used in very high quality equipment. So they must be good.
Nevertheless i also know that to use them right is not an easy job.
I will stop my ramblings and go back to study the link proposed
Thanks again and kind regards, gino

The real problem is identifying components that have these elusive properties. If we had units that had more of one of these properties than another component then we could study the small difference. We would have to exclude components that have euphoric coloration's like SET amps and phono cartridge pre-amp combinations also exclude loudspeakers. All these items have so many differences that we would never be able to identify the cause of the elusive property.

Hi and thank you for your reply
What i cannot easily accept is the "It measures very bad and sounds very good", :confused: with this being a case taken from Stereophile magazine

411ANJfig8.jpg

This is very hard for me to accept.
Just thing also how this graph would be with a real loudspeaker load ... a mess.
Maybe i have found a limit in the way audio equipment are tested. :rolleyes:
Usually tests are carried out only on a single equipment, with a standard signal and a standard load in standard condition with the results seen on a scope.
Instead the testing of all the chain is usually done by listening.
I would like to see some measurements carried out on the whole system, placing a mic in the listening position (with the room effect also captured). :)
I wonder how many Golden Ears have limited earing abilities. Do they have their ears checked and certified ?
I think that a component can be good in standard testing conditions, but have problems when put in a complete chain.
The more i think about it and the more i am convinced that the instrumental testing way is the way to go.
The rest is just fraud ...
Thanks and regards, gino :D

P.S. i do believe much more in a good mic than in a old human golden ear ;)

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
The way I see it,

Open is space between the instruments etc in a sound stage between speakers.

Transparent is the clarity with which the instruments or voice can be heard in the soundstage.

Veiled is not being able to hear the sound of an instrument or voice clearly.

Smear is not being able to hear the position of instruments or clear voice.

Have a look at the ledr tests

Online LEDR Sound Test | Listening Environment Diagnostic Recording Test

The ideal is a transparent sound with good soundstage (positioning of instruments) with enough smear so rubbish recordings don't sound to bad..:D

Regards
M. Gregg

The way I see it,

Transparent is the clarity with which the instruments or voice can be heard in the soundstage.

The ideal is a transparent sound with good soundstage (positioning of instruments) with enough smear so rubbish recordings don't sound to bad..:D

Regards
M. Gregg

Al those terms can be combined into two phrases ........
"Low distortion" and "flat freq response"
Unless you know what gives you 'transparency" etc, how can you obtain it ?

I think that equipment reviewers try so hard to hear small on non-existent differences that when a real difference comes along, it's automatically labeled as good

Hi and i agree.
When i read words like ... hash, grain, myst, haze etc. i get nervous.
Or parts selection by ear ... this is very annoying.
IMH experience every time i heard some problems with the sound this was completely explainable with some analysis of the components in the chain.
And often it was an issue of matching, expecially amp with speakers.
Kind regards, gino

The way I see it,
Regards
M. Gregg

Hi and thanks for the advice.
I am very basic ... there are things i cannot accept easily.
Like distortion presence ... a unit cannot be called "transparent" if it show high levels of distortion.
I think he was a speakers designer who said that if a speaker measures good than you do not have to test it by listening, because the sound must be good as well.
I agree. Right measurements tell it all.
Kind regards, gino

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
... a unit cannot be called "transparent" if it show high levels of distortion

it can't. But what we measure as distortion is but a small subset of all distortion. And we have little understanding of the relation between these distortions & what the ear/brain perceives. Complicated by a huge range ofears/brains.

We do know that THD has little-to-no correlation. Looking at the actual harmonics can give some clues, but that is open to interpretation. And of allthe possible ways of sussing out harmonic distortion what we measure is a very small subset of how the device is actually used.

dave

planet10 said:
But what we measure as distortion is but a small subset of all distortion. And we have little understanding of the relation between these distortions & what the ear/brain perceives.
How do we know it is a "small subset"? By definition, all these other alleged distortions are unknown so how do we know how many of them there are?

We do know that THD has little-to-no correlation.
No we don't. We know that THD has some correlation with perceived reproduction quality. We also know that preferred sound quality has (for some people) weak correlation wth reproduction quality.

it can't.
But what we measure as distortion is but a small subset of all distortion.
And we have little understanding of the relation between these distortions & what the ear/brain perceives.
Complicated by a huge range ofears/brains.
We do know that THD has little-to-no correlation. Looking at the actual harmonics can give some clues, but that is open to interpretation.
And of all the possible ways of sussing out harmonic distortion what we measure is a very small subset of how the device is actually used.
dave

Thanks a lot for your valuable advice.
Still i would like to make a brave comparison.
Between watching and hearing experience.
When an object is out of focus its shape is distorted and the brain makes an effort to understand what kind of object really is.
For me the same is when hearing sounds.
When the sounds are distorted the brain struggles to identify/locate the instruments that have generated them.
One very simple test is with speech recognition, a test that i value very highly also for evaluating stereo systems quality.
If the voice is distorted is very difficult to understand the words ... this is not good. The viceversa also applies.
Usually systems that have excellent speech rendition are also very low in distortion ... and i would bet that they would be equally good with music tracks.
For instance listening to a very good recording of a person speaking if i close my eyes i should be fooled to hear the real person speaking in front of me ... more or less.
Thanks and regards, gino

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
How do we know it is a "small subset"? By definition, all these other alleged distortions are unknown so how do we know how many of them there are?

Just deduction. What we are measuring now is not telling us the story, systems are not perfect (and all the same) so there is more we can'r yet quantify.

No we don't. We know that THD has some correlation with perceived reproduction quality. We also know that preferred sound quality has (for some people) weak correlation wth reproduction quality.

Lots of counter examples to that. Only at the grossest levels does THD correlate with perceived quality.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.