Has anyone gone from loving tube sound, to "what was I thinking?" - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th May 2014, 09:54 PM   #11
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I keep trying different SS amps but keep coming back to the tube amps.

One has toremember tha the amp+ speaker(andconnecting cable) are asystem andcan't really be dovorcedfrom theother.

And has been mentioned before, there are both bad or mediocre SS & tube amps.

dave
Old 11th May 2014, 10:17 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctavish View Post

And again a properly designed tube amp should not have a "sound".
So if we say a properly designed tube amp should not have a sound, we would also say that a properly designed solid state amp should not have a sound. Surely this translates into both being completely transparent (within their limitations) and if used correctly neither should garner a preference because they both sound like nothing.
Old 11th May 2014, 10:23 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Not as in no contribution at all; all amplifiers have at least some measurable distortion.

But "twangy" (as per the OP) is far from the description of the presentation of a properly designed amp IMHO be it tube or SS...
Old 11th May 2014, 10:30 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I guess our definitions of 'a sound' are different then.
Old 11th May 2014, 10:46 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th element View Post
I guess our definitions of 'a sound' are different then.
We all got's different pairs of ears; mine arent even a "matched pair"
Old 11th May 2014, 11:11 PM   #16
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctavish View Post
We all got's different pairs of ears; mine arent even a "matched pair"
same here....
Old 12th May 2014, 05:38 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Transistor amps are far more accurate , measuring distortion to levels lower then .0001%
the problem comes when clipping occurs. The slightly non linear amplification coupled with the soft ( 2nd) harmonic distortion is more pleasing to the ear.
That being said, my amps all have SS outputs.
Old 12th May 2014, 05:53 AM   #18
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktrader200 View Post
Transistor amps are far more accurate , measuring distortion to levels lower then .0001%
the problem comes when clipping occurs. The slightly non linear amplification coupled with the soft ( 2nd) harmonic distortion is more pleasing to the ear.
That being said, my amps all have SS outputs.
can someone even hear 1% of distortion?
Old 12th May 2014, 06:41 AM   #19
CLS is offline CLS  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

I don't need much power from amps because I use speakers with at least moderate effeciency and I don't need very high SPL. (I don't like the overall engineering in the combination of high power amp & low effeciency speakers anyway.)

So, I've never found tube amps that are not powerful enough, including a 0.7W SET for mid-high section in an active system I once had. I've never heard a single clip from them.

I steered away from tube amps these 2 years is because I encountered 3-channel configuration. For driving 6 channels of speakers in total in this active system, it's a pain to use all those tube amps. Too much heat for me. My 6S45, 2A3 and 300B amps are collecting dust in the storage, so sadly.

In my experiences, the sometimes 'warmer' sound from (good) tube amps is actually a better fidelity, which is a better overall presentation combining tones (harmonics), textures (details), and a coherent sum of them. The warmth is in the real thing and recording. (TBH, I don't remember hearing any vocal or acoustic musical instument that is 'cold' sounding.)

And, what is 'twang' ?
Old 12th May 2014, 01:00 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphythecat8 View Post
can someone even hear 1% of distortion?
Klippel has an online test for that:Listening Test

Using my speakers I passed -45dB (0.56%) but failed at -48dB (0.398%).
I use SS gear exclusively for reproduction.

Hide this!Advertise here!