Has anyone gone from loving tube sound, to "what was I thinking?" - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th June 2014, 02:37 AM   #101
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
History is just one damn thing after another.
It just never ends.
Old 8th June 2014, 03:26 AM   #102
Banned

Quote:
we have a small Class A EL84 PP (3.2w) that has tremendous bass (within power limitations)
"power limitations" is an understatement.

I cannot understand why some people use equipment that is handicapped in a crucial area. How much headroom does 3.2W allow? Pretty much, none.

Abs
Old 8th June 2014, 03:58 AM   #103
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absconditus View Post
How much headroom does 3.2W allow?
Depends on the loudspeaker.

dave
Old 8th June 2014, 10:51 AM   #104
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absconditus View Post
"power limitations" is an understatement.

I cannot understand why some people use equipment that is handicapped in a crucial area. How much headroom does 3.2W allow? Pretty much, none.

Abs
If you are cruising around at 0.10 watt quite a bit actually .....
Old 10th June 2014, 05:49 PM   #105
diyAudio Member

I like listening to WMUC (88.1 FM) on Saturdays using the system in the picture. The speakers are back loaded horns for bass and Altec Lansing 811's for midrange and treble. I have an Espey 200 tubed AM/FM radio and a tubed dynamic range expander on top of the right 811. A Pilot 100 stereo demodulator is to the right of the radio and expander and is connected using silver coax cable to the radio. The power amp is a Fisher 800c connected to the speakers using 10 gauge O2 free cables. O2 free cables also connect the stereo demodulator, expander and Fisher 800c. The Fisher 101B is for driving two rear speakers for quad (CD4 and SQ records). There's solid state dynamic range expanders on top of the 800c and under the 101B which enhance quad separation and ambience. I use the projection screen for watching things from the internet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg livingroom.JPG (132.2 KB, 287 views)
Old 10th June 2014, 09:29 PM   #106
diyAudio Member

Also, in the speakers I'm using a 3 position double pole switch connected to taps on the crossover network which has 3 different crossover settings. I changed the middle inductor to a foil inductor and put in a polypropylene capacitor for that setting and use that one most of the time. The volume on the Altec Lansing horn is controlled by an L-pad in the back loaded horn enclosure. I came up with this set up basically through experimentation. Try out a set of horn speakers and see what you think.

Last edited by 7n7is; 10th June 2014 at 09:32 PM.
Old 10th June 2014, 11:09 PM   #107
diyAudio Member

WOW!!!!!! A little wine, the cute little girl from next door, music .... music.... more wine! More music.....!
Old 11th June 2014, 12:10 AM   #108
diyAudio Member

The O2 free cables are oxygen free copper cables.
Old 12th June 2014, 10:08 AM   #109
Banned

Quote:
The O2 free cables are oxygen free copper cables.
Hold the presses!
Quote:
Depends on the loudspeaker.
The caveat of all caveats. Do you think there might have been why solid state technology might have been embraced so enthusiastically by the whole world (I do understand the argument by numbers fallacy).
Old 12th June 2014, 11:00 AM   #110
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ag8908 View Post
So after discovering tube sound a few months ago, I loved it. I like that twang sound it adds to everything, especially guitar type instruments. I remember asking a top notch audio installer in my area and he said he absolutely never installs tube items in people's homes because they're undoubtedly inferior. I disagreed with him as I liked the distortion. But after about two months, I liked it less and less and eventually found it to be annoying and completely inferior to equivalent solid state products. I feel like if you took a good solid state amp back in time and let tube users (who did not have a choice) listen to it, their jaws would have dropped.
I would be more than happy to take your inferior tube equipment. I could offer some commercial SS amplifiers and cover your shipping costs to me. The sooner you get rid of that tube gear the better you will feel.

Hide this!Advertise here!