Square wave test on speakers - what does it tell ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd April 2014, 03:32 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Square wave test on speakers - what does it tell ?

Hi,
looking for information about speakers testing i have found this table showing an excellent response of the speaker to square wave.

Click the image to open in full size.

I wonder if this kind of test can tell something about the sound quality of a speaker.
Thanks and regards,
gino
Old 23rd April 2014, 04:07 PM   #2
boris81 is offline boris81  United States
diyAudio Member

Only speakers with a Linear Phase can reproduce a square wave.
Conventional IIR crossovers introduce a phase shift that alters the waveform. This distortion is generally considered inaudible. Exotic FIR crossovers, 1st order IIR crossovers and single driver speakers are the common approaches to building a linear phase speaker.
Old 23rd April 2014, 04:37 PM   #3
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

there are higher order linear phase, linear (analog, RLC) filter alignments possible although they "waste" some driver frequency and SPL range by having larger overlap regions

but XO and driver filter response summing flat, linear phase is not a guarantee of good radiated soundfield response given the physical separation and size/directivity differences of multiple drivers - may only happen along a specifically angled axis between the multiple drivers and be increasingly poor away from that axis

there is research - not just anecdote - that midband phase rotation from allpass filters given the same phase/frequency found in some popular high order XO multiway loudspeakers can be heard with test signals, and some music, the ability may need training to develop the sensitivity - most easily controlled, tested with simulated phase shifts while listening with good quality headphones

however the effect of "non linear" phase (frequency variable group delay) in common loudspeaker design doesn't seem to be a major audible defect as long as both channels match

Last edited by jcx; 23rd April 2014 at 04:55 PM.
Old 23rd April 2014, 04:48 PM   #4
The one and only

Careful choice of frequencies and microphone positioning will occasionally yield
some good looking square waves with loudspeakers which do not generally have
a such excellent square wave response.

Old 23rd April 2014, 05:25 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

NP is hinting at the fact the the response will change with position relative to the loudspeaker. This is because in order for the speaker to reproduce a square wave all the different frequency components must arrive at the same time (in phase). But as you move esp. in the vertical plane, the distances to each driver change, and so does the phase. You can sometimes find points in space for which things align nicely but move a foot away and the square wave may no longer be constructed properly.

Even FIR filters that make the phase linear suffer from this phenomenon - that is they really only have this property at one point in space.
Old 23rd April 2014, 05:26 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thank you all for the very kind and valuable advice
If i understand rightly what is depicted as a great achievement has no practical consequences on the actual quality of the speaker sound
Now i also understand why this test is so uncommon.
Thanks a lot and kind regards,
gino
Old 23rd April 2014, 05:30 PM   #7
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

Nope not entirely , like anything else involving measurements in audio, the real story is not told by just one form of measurement.
Old 23rd April 2014, 06:14 PM   #8
mitchba is offline mitchba  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginetto61 View Post
Hi,
looking for information about speakers testing i have found this table showing an excellent response of the speaker to square wave.

I wonder if this kind of test can tell something about the sound quality of a speaker.
Thanks and regards,
gino
Wrt speaker system testing in the time domain, typically the step response of the speaker is what is measured:

Measuring Loudspeakers, Part Two Page 2 | Stereophile.com

Measuring Loudspeakers, Part Two Page 3 | Stereophile.com

The links above show examples of what a "good" step response looks like.

One can use REW, a free measurement tool, to measure and inspect the step response of a speaker system, along with many other measures.

While some may disagree, personally from REW measurements, I have found the "quality" of sound increases from a speaker system that is time coherent as compared to speakers that are not. My experiment involved ripping out a passive 3 way XO, replaced with 3 way digital XO and time aligning the drivers, while measuring the before and after step responses.

As the Stereophile article notes, there are really few speaker systems that measure time coherent, so unless one has listened to a speaker system that measures time coherent, it is hard to compare.

One measure I did want to include is to show that the step response remains relatively the same at 6 different mic locations across a 6' x 2' measurement grid (i.e. couch listening area) of my right speaker some 9ft away:

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 23rd April 2014, 10:04 PM   #9
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

All the fancy DSP in Sound Easy UE may make a square wave look better, but I am not at all convinced it matters any to the actual sound.
Old 23rd April 2014, 11:17 PM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

It should be noted that Rehdeko speakers use series XOs -- their info shown in post 1.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!