Trying to return a LED flood-lamp! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th April 2014, 08:24 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Trying to return a LED flood-lamp!

You've seen the package -- Philips LED Floodlamp -- lasts 22.8 years! Well, the ones I purchased last year all started blinking. I took one back to Home Depot and the gal said to go into the lamp department and get a replacement. Nice fella helps me out, we searched the entire lamp area but not carried anymore, but a suitable 17W replacement, almost identical was found. When I took it to the register, the nice young lady said "It's not the identical replacement", and one of the other folks said "Yeah, that model fails."

I guess they stopped carrying it for a reason.

Philips now has a disclaimer on the packaging -- the bulb can only be used 3 hours per day for the life expectancy to be 22.8 years.
Old 13th April 2014, 02:04 AM   #2
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

Right... 3hrs or the HEAT BUILD UP *toasts* the suckah!!

What dies apparently is the SMPS type thingie that they hide in the base, inside an epoxy or silicone rubber filler.

I bought a lot of 22 pcs of random "big box store" LED light returns, might have been from a home improvement big box judging by the brands found. I had 5-6 duds. One blinks. Looks like all died due to the power supply going fryland. Doesn't seem like there is any heatsinking available to the PS, and since heat travels UP, with the light facing down, the heat travels up!

I also have a Phillips replacement for a standard bulb. It's the one with the orange looking outer plastic. It gets HOT!!

LED bulbs produce light at higher efficiency than do tungsten or CFLs, but still they make a lot of heat. They don't have this technology worked out yet, imo.

I had one bulb that had the diffuser on it, pulled that off for my application, WAY more light! Another one that had the glass bulb to fake the tungsten bulb, that one was broken, so it removed the remnants - again way more light - which was fine for my application...

Anyhow I think the power supplies are dying, not the LEDs.

_-_-
Old 13th April 2014, 03:04 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I should add that the prices of the replacement devices are significantly higher over a year -- or at least in this particular case. Typically, prices decline 15% with each doubling of cumulative volume.

One of the issues with CFL's were the caps in the SMPS -- not rated for the heat.

My advice is to use heavy duty incandescents in high-hats. They are still available.
Old 13th April 2014, 11:19 AM   #4
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Guess I have been lucky. My ceiling cans all run LED now. I have the kind that replaced the trim so they seal to the room (one story house) This saves a lot of energy. Not the bulb efficiency, but they don't act like powered vents like incandescent did.

I would expect a design or two be bad. This is a new technology and mistakes are to be expected. Any base up bulb is going to have a hot socket. Phillips should have known better, but they are all struggling to get costs down to the CFL level. Or just crap Chinese parts.

Just waiting for some amplifier DIY ideas for the exotic heat sinks some of the lamps use.

BTW, white LED's are florescent bulbs. They are about the same efficiency as a CFL in total light output.
Old 13th April 2014, 06:33 PM   #5
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

Yeah, but oddly enough they just managed to DOUBLE the electric bills over the past few months... coincidence?
Old 13th April 2014, 07:48 PM   #6
msb64 is offline msb64  Canada
diyAudio Member

I've been running led light bulbs for a few years now, and have had the best luck with the 3 x 1W E27 Par 20 lights. I haven't had one go out on me yet, in 2+ years.
I just use inexpensive bulbs from China or Hong Kong that I get on eBay.
My brother has 10 of the higher powered 3 x 3W bulbs, but 3 of them started blinking after about 6 months.
I found out that all of them had an led go bad, but the supplies where still good.
Ordered some bulk 3W smd leds from the same source, replaced the bad leds and all was good.
One of the repaired lights did start blinking after awhile, so now I just replace all of the leds.
When you remove the leds from the board, you can add some thermal compound under them to help keep them from overheating.
Old 13th April 2014, 07:55 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Btw, if you have the bulb apart for repair, you can easily add some cooling holes for base up bulbs.
Most par bulbs have a plastic collar between screw in base and the metal housing.
If you are very careful, you can drill a few small holes into that collar to help cool the assembly.
If you remove the internals and pull out but not actually disconnect anything, then you can proceed to drill without having to worry about hitting anything inside.
Old 13th April 2014, 08:31 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Bulb partially disassembled & 3 ventilation holes added to white plastic spacer.
If you have drill bit collar stops, you might be able to drill the holes without having to take anything apart.

You could also add some more ventilation holes to the metal housing as well, in addition to the 3 elongated slots they already have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Led Bulb.jpg (197.7 KB, 88 views)
Old 13th April 2014, 08:41 PM   #9
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

I too run the small-er 3 or 4x 1w and 3 x 2w, etc bulbs, but these run way cooler than the larger PAR 75 or bigger size LED bulbs... I think the heat build up in the larger bulbs is considerable, and the heat exchanging parts are not so great.

_-_-bear
Old 13th April 2014, 08:56 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Yeah, it's not likely the LEDs themselves. I've been doing general illumination with 5mm LEDs for about 5 years, built fixtures for 4000 of 'em. While they've dimmed after 5 years running 8 hours/day, none have actually gone out... Just completed replacement with peel-stick strips.

Hide this!Advertise here!