A curiosity - what cables do you use ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ICs: Van den Hul The Tide Hybrid and Harmonic Technologies Precision Link
Speakers: QED XT-400

Best way to figure out which cable you want is to try it. Have a friend or partner help you blind test between some cables, DIY or not. Not all cable differences are apparent in all system setups, on all source material, in all rooms, to all ears.

Careful, high C speaker cables can cause amplifier instability and let the magic smoke out.

Got a couple of those T-shirts!

Polk style braided cable (Mission) killed two amps, a Naim and a DIY Mosfet. A long long time ago!

Been using Yamamura-[ART (Italy)] since it was first available. No problems with 15' runs.:)

Ditto for all interconnects.only they are fragile and need very careful handling.

Cambridge Audio something shielded, the clear ones so you can see the silver braiding. I tried making my own with different cables and messing about trying to find half decent connectors the right size for sensible money to find each seemed to alter the sound slightly. Gave up messing about and bought a load of Cambridge Audios second hand from eBay, there cheap and work for me..

I bought a spool of 12ga speaker wire that was on buyout at parts express...70 bucks for 250 feet.

As far as interconnects, OFC is pretty much my only requirement, I don't like to mess with green copper.

Hmmm. Oxygen is added to copper to help pull out the impurities in the smelting process. As far as I can see, OFC is just another sales gimmick. The real question is how much tin/lead/arsenic/iron etc. is still in the mix or the actual important parameter, if the jacket is acidic like the clear stuff so it turns the entire gable green and oozes green slime out the ends. I'm happy with whatever Belden uses.

Now Charles, AMP and Canon make XLR's that are fine as well.

I am not doubting you, it is just that here in the UK I've never seen a cable with those fitted. It seems to be either Neutrik or unbranded chinese ones.
Years ago at work we used a mix of Neutrik and Switchcraft XLRs.
The Switchcrafts never seemed to last as long as the Neutriks.
The connection was always fine but the barrels of the Switchcrafts didn't like being driven over with a forklift truck while the Neutriks survived 90% of the time.

As for speaker cable: I've still got a few meters of OFC 10gauge in a clear jacket which I bought in the mid '80s. So far no signs of anything green.
May be I should put it up for sale on an audiophile site, should be properly burnt in by now. ;-)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.