What's your fave gun-related movie line ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st March 2014, 10:17 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default What's your fave gun-related movie line ?

LISTEN UP, all you uber-macho soldering iron pilots, let's begin this week by a survey which might counteract whatever depressing malarkey The Bossman or your clients concoct...

That cinematic moment can go all the way back to our wacky planet's pioneering initial celluloid venture --probably a private erotic one, now that I think of it.

Maybe the mods will have their customary boring oversight goosed up by a spicy splash of human nature !!

Anyway, back to the topic --- Here's my zinger, from a classic [The Big Sleep] that all young whippersnappers on the Forum ought to watch if their best smooth moves & impromptu bar fights fall short of attracting Babes as smokin' hot as Lauren Bacall was in her prime:

Philip Marlowe (Humphrey Bogart) to Joe Brody (Louis Jean Heydt) --

"You're not the first guy I've met who thinks a gat in the hand means the world by the tail."
Old 31st March 2014, 12:50 PM   #2
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

From The Man Who Would Be King. "How to remove three Afghans from four camels leaving two Englishmen?"

Classic are the Dirty Harry lines.
Old 31st March 2014, 02:24 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I will put that desert arithmetic, tvrgeek, into my stash of laugh provokers...

Yes, the Dirty Harry series is probably the champ for a per-film ratio, and we will perhaps revisit that dialogue when more members parachute into this thread.

BTW, I am pondering the launch of another lounge topic: "Share a memorable win or fail involving firearms." Whaddya think ???
Old 1st April 2014, 09:18 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

It's hard to top Clint Eastwood, in either Dirty Harry or the spaghetti westerns.

There's a scene in one of the westerns where one of the bad guys ("Bad guys"? Hmmm . . . almost all of the characters in those films are pretty sleazy . . . ) is escaping on horseback. Eastwood's "Man With No Name" character drops him dead at a range of about a thousand yards, with a single-shot from a hand-held weapon. (It may have been a rifle with open iron sights, but I'm thinking it was a revolver.) A witness congratulates Eastwood for such an impressive shot, but Eastwood is disgusted, explaining "I was aiming for his horse!".

It's actually a remake, down to just about every detail, from "The Magnificent Seven".

But if there's a line that DOES top Eastwood, it might be from the movie "Zulu". It's a film based on the actual battle at Rorke's Drift, South Africa, where a company-sized contingent of (mostly) British soldiers - actually composed of detachments from several unrelated units - withstood an assault by a brigade-size force of Zulu infantry. In the movie version of the battle's aftermath, a soldier remarks to one of the co-commanders, "It's a miracle.". The officer responds, "If it's a miracle, it's a short chamber Boxer Henry point 45 caliber miracle.". And the infantryman, having participated in some of the fiercest hand-to-hand fighting of the engagement, clarifies "And a bayonet, sir, with some guts behind."

Dale
Old 1st April 2014, 11:55 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thank you Dale for supplying my Tuesday morning entertainment ... I have only caught short segments of Eastwood in the spaghetti westerns he did....

"Zulu" never seen by Yours Truly... Must check it out.
Old 1st April 2014, 12:03 PM   #6
DUG is offline DUG  Canada
diyAudio Member

Variation:

From an episode of Firefly where Jayne (Adam Baldwin) shoots the gun out of the bad guy's hand and was complimented on the shot:

"I was aiming for his head."

Re-used in an episode of Castle by Castle (Nathan Fillion).

P.S. ZULU...great movie.
Old 1st April 2014, 12:07 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

From the Untouchables when Sean Connery says, "Isn't that just like a wop? Brings a knife to a gunfight" then blows him away!
Old 1st April 2014, 12:15 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchisholm View Post
It's hard to top Clint Eastwood, in either Dirty Harry or the spaghetti westerns.

There's a scene in one of the westerns where one of the bad guys ("Bad guys"? Hmmm . . . almost all of the characters in those films are pretty sleazy . . . ) is escaping on horseback. Eastwood's "Man With No Name" character drops him dead at a range of about a thousand yards, with a single-shot from a hand-held weapon. (It may have been a rifle with open iron sights, but I'm thinking it was a revolver.) A witness congratulates Eastwood for such an impressive shot, but Eastwood is disgusted, explaining "I was aiming for his horse!".

It's actually a remake, down to just about every detail, from "The Magnificent Seven".
Slight correction: Both 'A Fistful Of Dollars' and 'The Magnificent Seven' were quite detailed but unofficial remakes of the Akira Kurosawa movies 'Yojimbo' and 'Seven Samurai' respectively.
Old 1st April 2014, 08:45 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUG View Post
Variation:

From an episode of Firefly where Jayne (Adam Baldwin) shoots the gun out of the bad guy's hand and was complimented on the shot:

"I was aiming for his head."

Re-used in an episode of Castle by Castle (Nathan Fillion).

P.S. ZULU...great movie.
Stolen from an old Alias Smith and Jones. " I he was aiming for your stomach"

All time loser in a gun battle was from the Raiders series where Harrison Ford reaches for his whip to find he has lost it, pulls out the pistol and shoots the villain with wielding a sword. Proof, never bring a knife to a gun fight.

Then there was the classic Get Smart with the two shot finger gun.
Old 1st April 2014, 08:48 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Darwin View Post
Slight correction: Both 'A Fistful Of Dollars' and 'The Magnificent Seven' were quite detailed but unofficial remakes of the Akira Kurosawa movies 'Yojimbo' and 'Seven Samurai' respectively.
At least they stole decent scripts! Not like some of the current rip-offs. West Side Story was a pretty good rip-off.

Got another : The Inlaws ( Perter Falk, Alan Arkin) "Surpetine Sheldon, Serpintine!"

Hide this!Advertise here!