Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th February 2014, 12:08 PM   #1
Waly is offline Waly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Product launch in the UK

I'm preparing myself for the launch of this product in the UK. By reading the US customers' reviews, I must admit I'm deeply impressed.
Old 6th February 2014, 12:17 PM   #2
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Member

I agree - the reviews you linked are really eye-opening and are something that anybody considering a new TV purchase, or has even seen a TV should read.

Old 6th February 2014, 04:17 PM   #3
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I'm waiting a couple of years or so till the price drop...
Love those revues, nice to see some humour, don't try that in the UK though, I tried giving our youngest to children in need cos that's what I thought they were begging for and got in a bit of trouble with some zero sense of humour social worker...
Old 10th February 2014, 03:35 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
anybody considering a new TV purchase, or has even seen a TV should read.
During the Christmas season a friend and I dropped the wives off at a mall and walked over to Best Buy, sat down in the big couch and watched a video on a big 4K TV. I must admit that it looked impressive, but cost about $10,000. My two TV sets, a Toshiba and an LG each cost $329 and also double as computer monitors for watching Youtube. They are perfectly adequate for the available progamming on TV or Youtube.
Old 13th February 2014, 09:23 PM   #5
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

How long do we need to wait for sufficient programming (re)mastered at that resolution to justify the upgrade, and how much more will the required bandwidth for streamed content cost?

For now I gather we'd have to rely on upsampled "ordinary" HD BD, etc - has anyone seen a demonstration of that suitably impressive to justify the cost of surfing the bleeding edge of new tech? But then again, I guess it's sufficient numbers of early adopters that amortize the initial cost of any such new & improved, leading eventually to more affordable pricing for us hoi polloi - so thank you

Last edited by chrisb; 13th February 2014 at 09:27 PM.
Old 13th February 2014, 11:56 PM   #6
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Member

(tubelab and chrisb didn't read the reviews...)
Old 14th February 2014, 12:25 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
tubelab and chrisb didn't read the reviews...
I, and a couple other engineers at work all got a few good laughs......and we commented about a few kids we know that we would trade for a TV.....even a $329 TV!

Unfortunately we all know people that DO mortgage their future and their kids future to buy the latest TV, stereo, BMW or whatever.......
Old 14th February 2014, 03:40 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

or maybe chrisb doesn't "need" an 85" screen, & he & his wife would rather spend that kinda money on her first new automobile in 15yrs.

I got about as far as the "it was refurbished ..... we saved $10,000.... it was only $30,000."

I'll gladly let others surf the bleeding edge, and when the early adopters whine about not holding out for 10K, or whatever the next, next big thing is.... it might be hard to contain a smug grin.

George - other folks' kids, I trust
Old 14th February 2014, 06:38 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

You still appear to have missed the point.
Old 14th February 2014, 07:10 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

spell it out for me then?

Hide this!Advertise here!